Kifaru Lost Park Parka

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stone

Stone Member

Based on initial reading and video reviews, I want one.

Here's their main page. (Warning: sticker shock ahead. :eek: ) A half dozen videos are available with a search.

Why? I own their Woobie (the new one with Apex insulation), and love it. It has its limitations, but its strengths outweigh those with some experience. (I.e, I've figured out how to reduce the potential clammy-ness when used as a blanket or makeshift bag because it doesn't breathe.)

But it's just too dang big to fit into my day pack (E. Halftrack) for winter day hikes that could (with misfortune) turn into an overnight. Yes, of course I carry fire gear, and even my Emberlit Ti, so I (probably) wouldn't freeze (except night before last hit -20F here), but neither would there be much comfort. For nights, or even sometimes lunch, an extra layer is needed or desired.

I've tried various ways to incorporate the woobie into the HT, both stuffed (with some substantial effort) into a side pocket (which is other wise occupied by my full fire kit: saw, axe, tinder selection, firesteel ...), and lately in it's own stuff sack in the main compartment. But it takes up probably 70% of the entire compartment -- top and bottom. Barely room for cooking pot and food.

So, I'm looking for alternatives, and found this new offering by Kifaru. It's half the weight of my woobie -- thus, I predict, half the size in the pack, but with the same Apex insulation and bombproof rhinoskin cover (totally bombproof), and would at least keep my core and head warm.

Of course, there may be down parkas out there that will do as well, but part of the reason I like the LPP is: 1) water resistance for early and late season use in rain, 2) that bombproof rhino skin.

Any experience? Any knowledge? Any alternatives?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

canyou roll and compress the woobie and attach it with two straps OUTSIDE the pack ,(in a silnylon bag) ?

Stone likes this.
  3. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Is the half track a lot smaller than I imagine? The Woobie packs down really well. Or get one of kifarus compression sacks and use that to crush that thing.

Stone likes this.
  4. Stone

Stone Member

At first, I read the typo "canyou" as "canyon", and thought it might be a particular technique that you can teach me. Then I realized it was "can you". :p

It's interesting that you suggest that. I had the thought earlier today, and am still very open to it if I can figure out something to roll it into, or a long, narrow stuff sack. (It's too bulky to attach to the outside in the attached sack.) Despite the rhino skin, I don't want to leave it exposed.

I'll work on this more, though. Makes a lot of sense, just like a bed roll. Would make it easy access for stops, also.

The halftrack is 35 L, but a lot of that inner space is pockets, and it has two really large water bladder pockets on either side that I use for canteen (hot), cup and another packet on one side and fire stuff on the other. So the main compartment itself is considerably less than 35 L.

I agree that it packs well, esp in one of their 5-string compression sacks, which cuts the girth (diameter?) by 3". But I don't have $40 for one right now, so I'm looking for someway to make this work, because I also don't have $245 for an LPP. :D