Junglas-II

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Twiztedthoughtz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Joe Marino

Joe Marino Member

Well written! However, I disagree with the savior of the day, in this case, was the heat treat. The poster of these videos has other high end blades and does nothing in the neighborhood of this. So I go back to blade replacement guarantee.

The truth is your equiptment will fail you first. In a survival situation I'm going to put myself and my equipment at the highest priority because I know my chances will decrease if I am not taking
    care of both. Hence, that's why I pick companies that use reality in real world application to design their products. At the end of the day I am not going to chop through or split trees 12 in in diameter, hammer rocks, or use my knife as a step stool.

beestokk, TWBryan, Ballenxj and 4 others like this.
  2. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

AMEN;)

beestokk and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

I see where you are coming from, but when I said the savior of the day was the heat treat, I believe I am right in the fact that the knife held up as long as it did and was still usable because the heat treat is so awesome. It's a testimony to the product. That knife took a lot of abuse before it broke.

I think you were referring to the type of test that the video producer used?

4. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

I like to watch other people abuse the equipment so I get a sense of durability. Now I know that my taken care of equipment will last and most likely end up as heirlooms if the world doesn't come to an end first. If it does, I know the equipment (knives in this case) will at least give me a fighting chance.

5. Joe Marino

Joe Marino Member

My disagreement with the heat treat comment was directed towards the practically of the test. I am not initiating an argument. If someone feels they have to go way outside the box to purposely break a knife, then it's for entertainment. Show me a video that passes this test if this is the new standard of heat treat durability.

Se7eN likes this.
  6. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

The only reason people make these sorts of videos on YouTube is to earn money from views. Breaking a high end knife is a sure way to get a few thousand views in no time. The great thing about using an Esee for that is that once you have broken the knife and made your video from it you can just send the knife back and get a shiny new one from Mike. You can then sell that for close to the price you paid for it or keep it for personal use. It's a clever way of earning money with no real expense. What that means is they are trying to break the knife in the test rather than use it without breaking it as a normal person would in the woods. Even in a survival situation. That why I don't really watch those sort of knife videos anymore, they are not relevant to real world use.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  7. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Well put man! I've thought close to the same thing. I grew up with too many grandparents that lived through the Great Depression to treat anything I buy or am given that way, it's just pointless even with the warranty Esee offers. Batoning and chopping are as far as I take it with them, and even that took a bit to convince myself was ok because of how I was taught knives are supposed to be used.

YouTube is becoming the new "shock jock" platform imho.

Joe Marino, nathan shepherd and Zeek like this.
  8. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

I totally agree with you.

Joe Marino and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  9. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

This is also a very good point!

10. Getnlwr

Getnlwr Member

That's why I don't watch these videos. I already know it can handle a massive level of abuse. I don't ever see myself abusing it to see if I can break it, simply because I am not a ******* dumbass. I take care of my equipment. I know I can use my IZZY 2 as a pry bar, and have a few times. HOWEVER... if I am at home I will walk to the garage and get the actual pry bar.

11. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

Thank you for that video @Bushman5

Now the word "ESEE-rection" can be added to my daily vocabulary. Seriously, I did a large winter camp out with some guys last weekend and they had a lot to say about how my bag of blades was 90% ESEE, and I intend on getting a Junglas or Junglas II soon.

12. Joe Marino

Joe Marino Member

In my opinion, the J2 handles like a smaller knife and chops like J1. My previous tools have been Bk9, lmf 2, glock knife, BK2, Cold Steel SRT, SOG Tiger Shark. I am going to add a Laser Strike to this collection for a day or two trip option, but the J2 is hard to put down. Deffinatly a one tool option.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    The Marsh Gorilla and STPNWLF like this.
  13. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

I've had my J2 for a few months now. Like any ESEE knife, it works hard and is reliable as ever.

I don't really abuse my knives intentionally, but I will use them for whatever I deem necessary at the time.

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

14. Joe Marino

Joe Marino Member

Does anyone here know of an adapter that will fit the esee pouch or another pouch to a Junglas sheath?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  15. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I asked months ago if the standard Junglas molle panel would fit but didn't get an answer.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  16. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

"Does nothing in the neighborhood of this"- yet.
    This all started as an accident.

Anyways, more knives will be tested in this fashion soon, especially this winter!

beestokk likes this.
  17. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

18. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

The beachin tactical r&r pouch works with the j2 and about anything else as well.

Attached Files:

beestokk and Kaw-liga like this.
  19. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I use an Esee 5/6/LS pouch with two of the screw sets that come with the pouch and two zip-ties running through the pouch and sheath holes on the opposing side. This has worked very well for me for the last 3-4 years.

[​IMG]
    I’ve removed the molle back since taking this pic.

[​IMG]
    I run it with two large tek-loks on a chestwader belt so it can be carried scout or diagonal across the back or chest.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    beestokk, Zeek and Jacob Peterson like this.
  20. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

Looks like a good setup!