Is it me or the gun? Sig p320c 9mm question

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Backwoods Runner, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Hi all, so got my sig p320c 9mm out for the first time last night. Shot about 100 rounds of cheapo fmj just getting used to it and i was relatively satisfied with my accuracy, by no means my best but definitely not my worse and I was improving and getting used to the new gun. Then I decided to run some carry ammo through it, federal 124 grain hst is my go to, first mag was okay, but not what I expected... second mag was completely junk, like 18 inch group at 50 feet... (all of my shooting was two handed unsupported) then I decided to run some Hornady critical defense 115 grain through it (I don't like this ammo but I had a bunch for some reason) on the pic below that is going to be the group on the head, 2 flyers but I was very happy for the speed I was shooting, dropped the empty mag and put another with the federal in and shot the group in center mass... same lighting grip, and shooting speed. Any idea why the federal group is so much worse than the hornady? I'm assuming it's me I just can't place exactly what I'd be doing differently between the two. Other than shooting my favorite ammo like crap I love the new sig, ran flawlessly and is a very smooth feeling gun.

Attached Files:

Zeek likes this.
  2. Kevo

Kevo Member

Some guns do seem to cycle and react a bit different to different ammo, but this is a pretty huge difference. Any chance you might have a little flinch going with the heavier 124gr rounds? A good test for this is to have a buddy stick a snap cap somewhere in the middle of a mag without showing you.

3. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I was thinking that could be possible but I carry a .40 p229 for work and with the 40 I shoot groups like the critical defense group above, my other thought is the weight (almost 10 ounces lighter) than the 229 is throwing me off and possibly giving my a very slight flinch with the 124. I am going to go to another range and work from 3 yards out to the longer ranges, the range I was on last night I wasn't able to shoot any closer than 50 feet. Alot of my training had been starting at 3 yards and then moving back and I found that is very beneficial since I don't move back until I have that distance from the target figured out.

Kevo likes this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Member

I'd guess that it's the result of a little more felt recoil with the heavier rounds (and thus maybe a little flinching) than you're used to on your heavier P229. Even though you're used to shooting .40 my experience with a P229 chambered in .40 is that it is actually very reasonable recoil. On the other hand, a 124 gr round out of a 3.9" barrel on a gun that weights well over 27 oz loaded isn't a 'heavy' load, imo. Interesting results, for sure.

When you started out shooting cheapo FMjs, what grain weight were those?

Regardless, I think you're taking the right next steps - start shooting much closer to the target and then work your way out. Keep us posted.

Backwoods Runner likes this.
  5. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

115 grain remington umc, also going to get some different ammo, I have been considering switching to sig v-crown for carry ammo, started using it in my p220 and I have noticed it seems to be available and in stock nearly everywhere now where as the federal can be tough to find in my less than freedom loving state.

6. Hammer

Hammer Member

I've also noticed that HST has been a little hard to find lately, even in my extremely freedom-loving state. I think it's just become a very popular defense round, and for good reason. It's certainly my go-to defense round these days.

It would be interesting to run some 124 gr FMJs, and see how that compares to the results you got with the 124 gr. HSTs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  7. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Have someone else shoot it.

8. Rick R

Rick R Member

Guns can be finicky, luckily you have options. I like the 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr and Winchester bonded +P loads, but the SIG V Crown has a great rep and shoots well in both my 10mm pistols. I’d try those three rounds before worrying about my new gun.

Also, the 147gr stuff is everybody’s current darling, I like 124gr better but you might try some and see how it does.

9. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

Dry fire a bunch.
    Load some dummy rounds randomly in the magazine and then stare a hole at your front sight and stay focused on that front sight as it lifts during recoil.

10. Buckeye67

Buckeye67 Member

It looks like grip and index are the primary culprit there.

11. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I did notice it felt like my trigger finger was sliding to far over on the trigger, the p320 trigger feels narrower than my P229 trigger, kinda tempted to try a flat trigger on the p320.

12. Black5

Black5 Member

Not meaning to butt in, but does the 320 have an interchangeable grip?

In my family we have several Sig pistols, particularly the 2022. We've found changing the grip makes a tremendous difference in accuracy depending on the shooter's hand size.

If the gun feels different, you may shoot different.

13. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

It does! That is one of the big selling points of these, the entire frame is called a "grip module" and is not serialized the serialized part is the "fire control unit" or fcu, the fcu is the trigger mechanism it is in a stainless steel chassis that pops into the grip frame. So the grip modules are about 45 bucks and come is the sub compact, compact, carry, and full size proportions, and each one of those comes in small medium and large hand sizes, as well as the x series which are a different shape grip. I'm actually planning to visit the sig factory/pro shop in exeter NH at the end of this week so I'm gonna check out the different sizes in person (I want to get one in olive drab color as well lol)

Black5 likes this.
  14. Black5

Black5 Member

I wish I could go there, but my wife and banker have expressly forbidden it.:(

15. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Figured I'd update this, been shooting the p320 a fair bit and I now have absolutely no problems with it. In fact I shoot it better than any of my other pistols now. Last night I shot a few mags through, started at the 25 yard line and with aimed rapid fire 4 out of 5 head shots and one flyer into the shoulder, I'll take that!

16. Menace

Menace Member

Good to hear

17. 21stCenturyFrontiersman

21stCenturyFrontiersman Member

I owned couple before the M17/M18 came out and never had an issue. Still don’t with the military models but I will say I prefer them to the standard model as they are in the carry configuration and are optic ready. Red dots will make you even faster onto target and help make your grouping better!

18. Frigin

Frigin Member

Just throwing this out there but if you have a p320 google sig p320 recall and put in your serial number and see if your gun is part of the recall. If it is there is a class action on the p320 and I would not carry your gun at all. Do not leave the gun loaded. They have had a bunch of cases where the gun go off without touching it. Even in a kydex holster no touching it. You have the option to sent your gun in to get it fixed or get a 100% refund. Just figured I’d pass that along!

19. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Haha bit of a zombie thread, very much aware of the voluntary upgrade program, the visual difference in the slide and FCU between the new and old is pretty obvious if you look at the sig website, really handy to know of you are looking at used p320s. Other than that the 320 is my favorite pistol now, used a carry size for work and this compact for ccw, with a TLR 1 and a good jm custom iwb holster it's about perfect for all of my needs.