Human Powered Vehicle - Trekking Cart Build

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Bushman5, May 24, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

thinking of setting up a gofundme to get this build going.......still thinking about that idea though.,....

2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Kickstarter

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Parting shots from a guy that has been many, many many custom bikes and wheels.....

If I'm building a bike for myself, there are places where I know I can cut corners/costs.....the Wheels ain't one of them....

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

true..... :)

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

rear flag pole mount / hitch plate. Attachment holes for micro pulley, for hauling up or lowering cart down steep embankments, using static rope.

fabricatedtrekkingcarthitchplate.png

Michael W. and BlueDogScout like this.
  6. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

With the weight you are looking at hauling wouldn’t you want a block and tackle setup in order to make pulling it a hill even easier? Just an idea

Bushman5 likes this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

block and tackle is relatively inefficient compared to a Z rig hauling set up. Although i do have a CMC micro block and tackle, I found the twin (can even go three pulley - one at the anchor point) Z Rig setup to be much easier to haul heavy loads. I have set up a 10 Z rig setup (compounding) before that hauled a 10 ton truck with nothing more than a simple pull at walking speed.

updated the photo. The 3 pulley setup reduces the friction and makes it easier hauling rolling, also you can get away with only carrying ONE haul rope, which drops gear weight down. For my purposes, the reason i want to be able to haul the cart up an embankment is to stash it if i need to, or to get off the highway and find a camping area, or to get over a large obstacle. going to build 4 corner tether points on the cart too...if i need to rig a line to get it across a creek or shallow river.

pulley.png

Edit: "technically" these are not true Z rig.....there is no progress capture device (prussik etc) and there is pulley where there should not be a pulley (on the load) but i have found this setup amazing for moving trucks out of ditches and for pulling concrete blocks across a site with just one person. I call it "the Flying Z" as one of the pulleys literally flies up the rope as its hauled.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    shaneadams90 likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

This thread is a DIY project right now, the Adventure comes later, so Mods going to move to DIY FORUM. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

weighed the cats (45lbs for the 2 of them), and the food required (10lbs) for a 5-7 day trip, plus water/food bowls, cage padding 6lbs)....total of 61lbs ........

thats a lot of weight to be hauling on top of the regular water/food/gear & cart weight...

so looks like as much as it would be great to have them along as trip companions (would also be a heck of a revenue generator via live feeds/youtube etc), me thinks they are going to have to stay home.

we'll see.

----------------------

update to wheeldeisgn......

found this dynamo hub, it was recomended to me by a fellow bike tourer. Him and his wife used these hubs to charge their lights, and a battery bank for their cell. Has very low parasitic drag when running. this would be a great way of charging the tail light batteries and camp utility light. I like that it is out of the way and takes up no space in the cargo section. Huge sealed bearings and O ring sealed bearing covers too....this will be important in certain areas of Lytton, with its extremely fine talcum powder style dust.

https://www.cyclemonkey.com/hubs/shutter-precision-pd-8

SP_PD8_red.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  9. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I guess I didn’t understand what the other style was thanks for the explanation. I’ll have to do some research! This is a really neat project.

Bushman5 likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ haul systems and compounding pulley setups are a freaking blast to rig up and play with. :) its a bit of a hobby of mine.

UPDATE: cyclemonkey crew could not be bothered to return my emails or phone calls re the wheelbuild.....(NOTE to shops and retailers and the like.....if you don't get back to people, your gonna lose money, and they won't do business with you, as well as other potential customers that they tell............)

so long time bike veteran Peter White of Peter Whites Cycles will get the money. His wheels are legendary in touring , racing circles. Hand built, high quality components and he guarantees his wheel builds for life. Going to cost me more than the actual cart fabrication, but I'll be able to put those wheels thru hell and back and not have to worry about anything.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Couple haul setups.

20180602_170231.jpg

20180602_170414.jpg

Strigidae and BlueDogScout like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Update, got a quote from a couple of fabricators / welders.

the internal box design with laser cut components, internal water tank, lockable lids, welding & materials costs..........Between $2000 - 3000 CDN. o_O I can buy a brand new aluminum 12' skiff for that cost...........

lol

so me thinks i'll go with a simpler build...flat deck design, one i can simply drill and bolt together with SS Allen bolts/washers/ nylock nuts. Cost for aluminum pre cut is about $500.

I already made a kick butt roof rack for the Jeep last year .......using aluminum plate and bolting on angle aluminum to reinforce it. This cart will be similar.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

http://thenextchallenge.org/grant/

Adventurers helping Adventurers with funding. Started by TIM MOSS. The grant for 2018 closed back in Jan 2018, but submissions will reopen late 2018 for the 2019 season.

:)

Tim also has a bloody damn well in-depth article on planning adventure expeditions.

-------------

also have started to network with long haul trucking companies that roar up and down the Fraser Canyon, advising them of my trip and to be aware of the cart and human hauler. Got a few truckers interested enough that I may add a CB to my cart to keep in touch.

----------------------------------

https://www.gofundme.com/human-powered-vehicle-adventure

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I think I just found my doppleganger.........this guy has very similar ideas about cart building

http://www.exodussolutions.net/

[​IMG]

i like some of the design, not all of it, but that is a damn cool cart

koolaidnd, Strigidae and BlueDogScout like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

should be able to start purchasing the aluminum soon for the cart build.

got a qoute from Wheelbuilders.Com for a set of White Industries tandem hubs, double butted spokes and fat rims...about $1200 USD, approx $1600 CDN funds....still deciding about that one.....might go with Sturmery Archer drum brake hubs for $200 a pair and get the rims and spokes locally......

Strigidae and BlueDogScout like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

meeting with the laser cutter dude Saturday! should have the main deck of the cart in my grubby mitts Sat eve!

STOKED!

17. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Pictures when you get it! I’ve started looking into my own build! Lol

Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

BlueDogScout Hunting Carts has a nice ring to it..... ;)

BlueDogScout likes this.
  19. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

You bet it does lol

20. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

Better put a flag hanger on that sucker! haha

Bushman5 and BlueDogScout like this.