Hammock Talk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Mar 31, 2024.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

So let's Talk about hammocks!

What Hammock do you use?

Under Quilt?

Over Quilt?

Sleeping bag?

Tarp?

Suspension system?

I know there is much older thread on the subject but..

2. ASH

ASH Member

I've been using nylon travel hammocks from the clearance shelf at Walmart. I usually just use whatever tarp I have handy. I don't sleep in a hammock if it's going to be much cooler than 60f. I woke up cold at 55 with a surplus wool blanket of some sort. IMG_20240228_114849424_HDR.jpg

KnOeFz, Jtallen83 and RocketmanDane like this.
  3. erik

erik Member

I use a trek lite double or a woot clone.
    over 65F, i'll use a wool blanket or SJ jungle blanket XL, depending on how much hiking is involved.
    under 65, typically use a yoga mat or reflectix sheet under a light sleeping bag or wool blanket and a blanket over the top of me.
    this past winter I tried a 40-50f DD underquilt - and can see that it's got good points, but I need to do some adjusting to make it work better for me.
    At 30F, I added a wool blanket under me and the jungle blanket on top

tarp is an etowah 10x12
    tree straps are homemade from seat belt webbing to minimize damage to the tree bark - if those aren't long enough, then I add a 1" poly cinch strap

ASH and RocketmanDane like this.
  4. SofTwoody88

SofTwoody88 Member

Warbonnet xlc blackbird, hammock gear topquilt , Jack's r better underquilt and a carinthia pillow strapped to the head end 20240316_162643.jpg

5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Ive got a couple of Eno Double hammocks and 3-4 clearance hammocks from W-Mart.

I also found 2 "portable" hammock stands on clearance at the W-mart.

I don't really have any experience using the hammocks outside but me and the Family have spent ALOT of time "hanging out" watching movies, reading books, Etc.

I am currently working with a group of folks on a 7-10 night canoeing trip next summer. Hammock camping will be a must on the trip so i have to really step up my hammock setup.

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ looking forward to your epic adventure!

7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I’ve used an Eno Nest with the mosquito net and an accordion fold Z-Rest mat plus a woobie. Im comfortable “hanging” and being up off the ground away from ticks and snakes crawling around at night is a good thing.
    I’ve also got an Imps Net in my daypack. Basically a small mesh nylon net that rolls up to about a baseball sized package.
    Those were sold thru Brigade QuarterMaster at about the same time as the Izula appeared ( Dating myself there!), I don’t know if they’re still available but something similar might be.

8. SofTwoody88

SofTwoody88 Member

For a full night.. let alone multi night.. get some practice in close to home. 11 footers are going to be way more ideal also for majority of people

C99c likes this.
  9. SofTwoody88

SofTwoody88 Member

A quilt over a sleeping bags a huge comfort Improvement I find also, it's better to have your underquilt rated higher than lower on your temp needs as you can vent it and create a cooling draft if needed.

C99c likes this.
  10. SofTwoody88

SofTwoody88 Member

30° top and bottom quilts from hammock gear and a 0° 3/4 underquilt from JRB

Attached Files:

KnOeFz, erik and Jtallen83 like this.