Good video on Marine survival in the cold

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by CWB, Nov 30, 2016.

1. CWB

CWB Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I had to laugh, and im sorry for doing so......but only -12 C?

the Fraser Valley in winter and the Coqihalla summit get to about -30 C and its pretty easy to keep warm....

maybe im missing something?

3. wilas101

wilas101 Member

When I was in the army there were quite a few guys who had never seen snow. 10F would be just as new to a lot of folks. The guys from the northern states might have a similar reaction to yours but you gotta remember the US recruits from areas that almost never see temps below 40F.

4. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

Bushy, you have to remember they use the European metric system:D

5. Black5

Black5 Member

I did a winter warfare school back in 90. It taught me valuable survival skills such as:

I do winter survival by not crossing to the north side of the Mason-Dixon line.

Strigidae likes this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I’ll be serious now .

I have seen people here get hypothermia in temps as high as plus 10 deg Celsius, with a light rain falling. So just so everyone knows I was not mocking the Marine.

The west coast is really bad for people getting hypothermia, the rain, dampness and cool temps in winter accelerate it. You move into the interior and northern regions, the winters are cold and very dry , much different. You can get hypothermia but not as fast as here on the coastal mountains.

7. Black5

Black5 Member

A year ago February, I believe, we had a young man die on a trail a few miles south of me. He was about 4 miles from his car, had walked down to see the falls, and was caught in the rain with just a jacket, casual street wear, and tennis shoes from what I understand. Temperature dropped to the upper 20s, his body temp dropped, and he was found a couple days later.
    For the cost of a disposable rain poncho, and a mylar blanket a young man could have been alive.
    But he had set off with nothing, because it was a short walk out and back.

Hypothermia is nothing to taunt, no matter how experienced any of us are.

Edited: I forgot we are international. I use the Fahrenheit scale because, well, i'z a suthrn borned 'Murican.