GaryMc's Daily EDC, Musings, and Life

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by GaryMc, Sep 20, 2016.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Expat that's exactly what my Wife says.....

2. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

I don't know about Guru @91bravo , you've seen some of those guys stuff, what they have even humbles me and I know I have a lot.

3. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Yeah, you're right, some of those guys really have more stuff than they can ever use! Your pictures are really nice though, your sig puts a nice touch to them!

GaryMc likes this.
  4. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Alright, here's my contribution. I basically have two EDC setups depending on my day. The only difference being which watch I pick to wear. Something that hasn't been mentioned here yet, but is crucial to me, is having the same loadout every day. I know what is in which pocket, and it is never in another pocket. This way when I need something, it's just muscle memory to grab it. This could be done with varying day to day loads, as long as you put the same type item in the same location.

We'll start with my normal day to day carry.

20160921_104044.jpg

If I had to pick a theme for this, it would be family. The wallet is some cheap leather deal given to me for Christmas one year by my then girlfriend, now wife. Nothing special, but it works and has sentimental value. The watch is my Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic, also given to me by my wife on our wedding day. We'll talk more about the wedding band later, but the emotion there is pretty obvious. The handkerchief has a long story as a shirt given to me by my father before it ever became a hank, and is one of my prized possessions. The lighter is the ESEE brass Zippo with a Thunderbird butane insert. I feel the core members of this forum are like a family as well, so that continues my theme. The knife is a Kershaw Leek limited edition in coyote brown with a stonewashed Elmax blade I got from ESEE family member Whitty. The light is a Fenix LD09 single AA with three settings and SOS. I use it more than I ever thought I would. Lastly there's a regular Sharpie, and a Pilot gel ink pen. Keys and lighter go in left front pocket; knife, pen, Sharpie, and flashlight go in right front pocket; wallet in right rear; handkerchief and cell phone in left rear. These items are always there.

My clinical day loadout is much more slim. I usually have pockets full of saline flushes, gloves, alcohol wipes, and who knows what else, so I try to keep personal items at a minimum.

20160921_104540.jpg

Here we have my Littman Classic III stethoscope. I cut about 3 inches off the tube so I can hear better and it isn't flopping all over the place if I have it around my neck. The Kershaw is back, and it gets clipped to the waistband of my scrub pants. Like Gary's signature says, never go anywhere without a knife. Stainless steel Seiko 5 field watch because it's easy to clean, and has a good sweeping second hand. N wallet in carbon fiber with brown silicon band from Elephant Wallet keeps a couple cards and ID. Sometimes I'll throw some cash under the band. I only take my key fob with me on clinical days to keep clutter down. A dedicated Pilot gel pen and Sharpie strictly for the hospital. My penlight with pupil diameters. Lastly a small hardbound notebook with an elastic band to keep it closed, and a bookmark. I was using the Field Notes from Rite in the Rain, but they were too flimsy, and the semi-glossy paper would let ink smear.

Now about my wedding band. I actually have two, and didn't picture the one for my clinical days because it's nothing special, just a plain titanium band. I've considered getting a QALO band for those days, and when I'm working on cars, in the woods, etc. My actual wedding band is also titanium, but the inside is lined with oak harvested from a used Jack Daniel's barrel. I'm from Tennessee, and we take our whiskey seriously. Here's a picture just to give you an idea, but it looks much better in person.

20160921_104112.jpg

As Gary always says, if you read all this, thanks. That's all I've got, and I never really give it much thought. I didn't even realize I had a "theme" until I started writing this. Things have been added and subtracted over the years, and this is what everything has been distilled to. I told you we like our whiskey. ;)

DSD, jlowrance and GaryMc like this.
  5. DSD

DSD Member

This is rapidly becoming my favorite thread.

Outlander and GaryMc like this.
  6. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

09/21/2016 MAIL CALL

#1) 2013 Chinese Victorinox Forum 1 of 80 Orange ALOX Harvester, this thing is the most amazing beautiful shade of orange I've ever seen, really excited to finally find this Harvester. Got it out of Austria.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2) Copper scale for a ZT0562 made by Radek "Dony" Donat of the Czech Republic. Just gorgeous work, now I need to get a ZT0562 from Whitty @Scott Whittington at USAMADEBLADE.COM

[​IMG]

DSD likes this.
  7. DSD

DSD Member

Yes dude....dony does really good work.i love his copper and brass scales as you already know.
    Oh and if you want there is something called brass darlener.leave your scale in it until it get as dark as you want it,rinse under water and use a scotch brite gently on srface.that is what i did for the 0566 brass.

GaryMc likes this.
  8. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Great advice @DSD !!!!!! Dony's copper and brass is definitely great work. I think I'm going to leave the copper one out in the weather for a while just to see what happens to the patina. Did that with my Hinderer pen and it worked pretty well. Now can't wait to get another ZT in my hands.

9. Outlander

Outlander Member

They are all good, but I think this is my favorite setup yet.

GaryMc likes this.
  10. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Outlander It's near the top for me as well, the Sloppy Joe's lighter is one of my 2 favorite Zippo's, that Montblanc pen is the best writing pen I've ever owned, got the ZT for a great cause so it'll always be special, and the Luminox watch is just a home run to me.

Outlander likes this.
  11. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Liver of sulfur works too. Or you can just smash a handful of boiled eggs in a Tupperware container with the brass or bronze in there and leave it for a few days. It will get some nice reds and blues along with a dark patina. Soak it in some water with baking soda to halt and set the patina, then use a scotch brite or cape cod cloth to hit the high spots.

DSD and GaryMc like this.
  12. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Dave41079 Love it, you guys keep all this great advice coming!!!!!! Heard of the eggs but never tried it.

Dave41079 likes this.
  13. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

image.jpeg

Ok so another thing you might as well know about me is like Hemingway I like cats. This one is named Lucy Liu after the actress cause she too is a prima donna. She pretty much lives on my work desk and I contend with this daily but I never get lonely.....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Outlander likes this.
  14. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Maine Coon?

GaryMc likes this.
  15. Outlander

Outlander Member

Nice Gary!
    I wasn't a cat lover until one came with my wife when I married her. This is Bat.
    20160921_125438.jpg

GaryMc likes this.
  16. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Dave41079 Yes on Maine Coon, she was a baby at a shelter when we got her, they were putting them to sleep on a Saturday with just too many cats and dogs but didn't get to her and a brother so put it off until Monday. We got there Sunday after seeing them online that morning and just took them both home so she is a very lucky cat. We gave the brother to my Wife's cousin, we already had another cat but ended up with three anyway for years. She's 10 now and she is a hoot.

17. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Outlander Bat is adorable and has good tastes playing with a Luminox!!!!!! I absolutely hated cats but my Wife brought a different one home that changed my mind on cats. Absolutely love them now. That first one was named Lucky, because as my brother-in-law put it "he was just damned lucky to have a home", well the name stuck. That cat actually changed my life for the better, I'll share that story at some point.

Outlander likes this.
  18. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I love cats, too! We need to start a new thread where we all share recipes!

19. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

I was also never a cat person, but adopted two Maine Coons when I married the wife. They were brothers that my wife had since they were 6 weeks old, they would be 16 years old this coming February. One passed earlier this year, and the one that is still living is in poor health. They both were hyperthyroid and chronic kidney disease, and the one that's still living also has irritable bowel and pancreatitis. After the passing of one brother, the survivor seemed distant. I suggested to my wife that we should get a kitten to give him some company. One kitten turned into two kittens that came home with us, and they're almost 5 months old now. I named them Cash and Dylan because, well, this is Nashville. We also have two outside dogs that are both Australian Cattle Dogs. One of them has Addison's disease. We do love our special needs pets evidently, and they're an endocrinologist's dream or nightmare, depending on the doc.

Outlander and GaryMc like this.
  20. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Look out Dr. Evil @Expat !!!!!! You know you like them, just admit it and not as food,.