ESEE Junglas vs TM Hunt M18

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by The General, Feb 17, 2022.

1. The General

The General Member

While I'm not the biggest fan of its shape, its function has me intrigued. Does anyone have experience with both the TM Hunt M18 and the ESEE Junglas?

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  2. erik

erik Member

yup.
    the M18 is an impressive chunk of steel and extremely versatile,but you pay for it with weight.

3. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Member

I have owned many multiples of each. Actually maybe a 2 dozen Junglas/Junglas II's and 1/2 dozen M18's. I have some opinions for sure!

They are both great knives......if you understand their limitations!

The Junglas is a great, all around, large camp knife. It can slice, dice, carve, baton, and chop. No, it doesn't do all things good, but it does most things well enough. A woodsman would be well served if that is all that they had.

The M18 on the other hand............well........it is a BEAST. It makes a "GOOD" chopper. And.....well, it makes a good chopper. I find that it doesn't do much else well. And honestly, it is not great at chopping either. I find the sweet spot is rather small.

Sure you can slice and dice with it...MAYBE. You can use it as a draw knife, sort of. You can carve with it, but chocking up on it is hard and uncomfortable to me. Look at the design=no choil and that sharp pointy "choil" area is a hindrance in my opinion. It can be used for digging and makes a decent spatuala, and fire prod for around the camp fire.

For any real use, I think it is too heavy and cumbersome, and causes fatigue easily. Maybe I need to work on my upper body strength and cardio though.

I currently don't have any of either one. I think they are both cool. As much as I like the M18, I'll stick to an Junglas/Junglas II!*

*If anybody reading this has either an Junglas/Junglas II they want to unload, hit me up please!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022