Bushcraft meal recipes, no refrigeration required.

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by BlueDogScout, Apr 28, 2018.

1. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Same here!

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

instant spuds! use em for everything. Bring some dehydrated hamburger meat, dehydrated peas and carrots (mixed veggies from freezer section) , garlic powder , spices, and make a shepherds pie .

mtngoat and BlueDogScout like this.
  3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Do you dehydrate yourself?

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

every time i have a case or two of Lucky Lager, yep. :D

yea i have a 3 tray dehydrator.

potatoes? no, i just use the Idahoan Mashed Potatoes in the smaller packets. Multiple flavor choices, light, and fast to make. (and the mylar pouches make great tinder pouches after - you can even use an iron to reseal them waterproof)

20180507_211246.jpg

Ground Beef? yes....i use extra lean ground beef, fully browned and all the fat drained (pour out and let the rest soak into a pile of paper towels). I add powdered gravy mix and other herbs and spices like oregano and garlic powder to the ground beef before laying it out on the dehydrator trays

the one on the left is amazing

20180507_211304.jpg

add a freezer bag of dehydrated ground beef, a bunch of dried shredded strong Parmesan cheese, and you got a huge tasty hotmeal , that takes up little space and weight in your bag or pack

One of my favorites is buying Roma tomatoes in bulk from the East Indian veggie markets (they are about $5 LESS a lb compared to the big supermarkets). I cut them in half or thirds and dehydrate tonnes of them. Then chop them up into 1/4" chunks (along with dehydrated mushrooms, green bell peppers, green olives , onion flakes , spices and herbs) and bag them up in heavy duty freezer bags., Then come camp time........rehydrate, simmer by the fire for several hours and you have fresh fireside pasta sauce.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    koolaidnd, Winter, mtngoat and 2 others like this.
  5. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Sounds like good and tasty meal planning! I might have to look into a dehydrator. We are starting a garden so it would probably be good to preserve the harvest anyway

6. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Member

Ramen noodles of course.:p

DiscoveryLover and STPNWLF like this.
  7. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

They're awesome for supplementing leftovers

DiscoveryLover likes this.
  8. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Oh yea! For sure!

STPNWLF likes this.
  9. Winter

Winter Member

Those mashed potato bags are good to mix in canned corn and canned meats too. Macaroni and cheese can be done the same way. Grew up on mac and cheese with hamburger and peas. Dont forget oysters. Fantastic trail food.

SEMO, Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  10. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Tortillas are a staple. Pepperoni sticks, summer sausage, BabyBel cheese do fine as long as it’s not ridiculously hot. If you rob the pizza sauce out of your kids Lunchables you can make pizza tortillas with the above. Just roll it up and heat in a skillet.

BlueDogScout and Strigidae like this.
  11. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I like where your head is at!

12. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So when I started this thread my thought was to eliminate the need for a cooler because backpacking and coolers don’t seem like a good mix. Never found one that was light and didn’t leak. I figured since we raise chicken farm fresh eggs don’t have to be refrigerated so I could have eggs. Dry ingredients and canned meats. Then I could figure out charcuterie methods to be good. I still think for long term or just in general working on meals that are entirely shelf stable is an important concept. However, I found this thing;

4BF9A80F-256F-4987-B353-7B7EC0DBE571.jpeg

https://icemulecoolers.com/collecti...the-icemule-classic-small?variant=39083121868

It’s a dry bag cooler. Has 3 layers of insulation with the middle one being inflatable to make an air gap to prolong food. It doesn’t leak and comes in a great color lol they say ice won’t melt for up to 24 hours in the summer. I figure (remember this is designed for beverages) that if the meat is frozen and I use frozen water bottles for ice this can extend to 2-3 days if it’s not brutal which would cover a regular spring or fall trip. I ordered the small one and it seems well built. I will be testing it. I will probably make a new thread for it. Just wanted you other foodies to see it!

Bushman5 and Charlie Delta like this.