Big changes coming to ESEE Knives

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by shaneadams90, Dec 2, 2019.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

What do I want?
    More Orange colored blades would be awesome!
    New PR4 Scales..
    ESEE 5 in stainless heck yes!
    Other options? I’ll have to see as the comes out..

It comes down to $$$ to me.. The cost of these new options are what concern me..

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Hook02 likes this.
  2. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

+1

3. Jacob M

Jacob M Member

I'd definitely be interested in a set of the 3D sculpted scales in the brown canvas micarta, or even a camo, for my 5, possibly for my Izula and RB3, as well. I'd REALLY love to see some micarta scales released with the rocky mountain tread for all of the models. Is there any possibility of getting an ESEE folder in S30V, or similar, with some nice micarta or G10 scales? Or would it just be the current lineup? I'd most definitely be interested in a nice ESEE folder with those features. Might possibly be interested in one of the current models in a premium steal. As I'm typing this out, I'd probably be interested in a premium stainless Izula to replace the 1095 version that's my daily carry, so I'm not constantly fighting off rust from sweating.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  4. Dr-t-23

Dr-t-23 Member

I'd say go with 3v or 4v for the steel, as both are very tough, stain resistant and hold a nice edge. And maybe a new model along the lines of this jg5 I modified.

Attached Files:

W.Jester and shaneadams90 like this.
  5. Hook02

Hook02 Member

I vote both...
    Also I'd love to see a Esee 4 or 6 with a Scandi grind.
    Stone wash finish would be a killer option to offer on all Esee models, I'd predict better sales on the stone washed models then powder coated blades...
    Also I'd really love the introduction of a few more production colors, especially the Esee 6 (if I'm not mistaken it's only available in black, venom green, and dark earth) personally I've always wanted to see an OD green Esee 6, I think that would look stellar with those nice new brown 3D handles! Would be especially awesome if it also had a scandi grind.
    I'd be all over a blue Esee 4 or 6 with either all black or midnight blue (black/blue scales)... heck those brown 3D scales may even look good on the right hue of blue.
    Glad to see the addition of orange to the Esee production colors, blazing orange is always a nice color option for a camp knife imo
    And of course red is always awesome to see on Esee's, though I know that's been used for forum exclusive runs in the past, knowing that the Red Esee 4/dessert tan 6 are two of the most beloved and sought out forum exclusive knives, I understand keeping those colors exclusive to those runs and though I believe blue was used for an exclusive Izula before too, I really hope it's considered as a production color, since yas make the od green, dessert tan, and black finishes imo blue would be cool to represent the navy kinda like blue camo gear, for me personally that would be the best ever to see a nice royal blue, powder blue or navy blue Esee production knife, would be an absolute dream come for me!

And a teal or yellow colored Esee would be awesome too imo but I imagine those colors wouldn't be quite as popular as a blue, orange, or red but ya never know. Just throwing out the suggestion in Hope's it's something that yas consider when rolling out these new modded handle Esee's.

6. patrickknight

patrickknight Member

Imo the scale upgrades have been a long time coming. When it comes to using a CPM stainless my only suggestion would be PLEASE don't run it to soft. Take s35 for example at 58 hrc its not much different than 440C at the same hardness, now push it to 60-61 then you are getting the most out of the alloy. Just upgrading the steel by name is a pointless upcharge imo if I am paying more for S35 over 440C I want more performance not just a different name.

I think S35VN or CPM154 would be great on the 4 and smaller models (hopefully we get a 3 at 1/8" thick stainless) so long as they are ran at or near 60 HRC. Otherwise just keep using 440C and expand the offerings.

For the scales I am hoping for some to be in micarta. I love the TKC scales on my Izula II but I am just not a fan of G10 at all.

Jacob M, FortyTwoBlades and IW17 like this.
  7. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Absolutely nothing....but we have had our customers asking for premium steel for the better part of a decade and we felt like it was time to expand our options. Our carbon line will stay in place, we are just adding more options to our current offerings.

8. UK Jackal

UK Jackal Member

A great move! TKC have had all the market for scales like this for a while and they were still very unrefined!

These look like a significant step forward from those!

9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

If you build it, they will come lol

shaneadams90 likes this.
  10. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Personally, I think S35V is the biggest ruse to ever be played on the user knife market (when comparing steel prices to direct performance). I see no reason for the steel for field grade cutlery like we produce, but as you stated there are those that want it. The 440C in the field is just as good as S35V in my opinion and a LOT less cost.

11. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

The 3D handles have been on our radar for a long time. We're finally at a point where we can produce them economically in a production format. The cost will be slightly higher than our flat scales but the fit, finish and comfort is stunning for field grade cutlery like we produce.

12. shaneadams90

so while we are talking about big changes.....on our forum with "our people".... Let me ask all of you what gives you the greatest excitement about these changes? is it the scales OR the addition of a few premium steel models?

We are listening...

13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

For me honestly, it's more options but mostly the scales. While I love tkc scales they are pretty pricey and only have g-10 for an option. I really wouldn't mind an esee 3 in S35V but I'd stick with the 1095 for camping and such.
    And still waiting in the black oxide 3&4 lol :D

shaneadams90 and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  14. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

Definitely the scales. Improved ergonomics increase performance much more than a steel change does in my opinion. Low-alloy steels are less particular about what kind of stones can be successfully used to maintain them, and are faster/easier to maintain in general. These knives aren't typically being used in settings that have a lot of abrasive targets, so if opting for a fancier steel I'd be inclined to go with a steel that exhibits good toughness at high hardness, not only because of their better suitability for the typical context of use, but also because the last thing you want is to have people abusing a comparatively fragile steel the way they do the current line and sending in piles of the things for replacement. :p

Chris Talley, hma153 and Drew RedBear like this.
  15. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

@Jeff Randall or @shaneadams90 what would the warranty be on the S35V versions? It would be crazy to still have the same because of the steel and will Rowen still be doing the heat treat?

shaneadams90 likes this.
  16. shaneadams90

Great feedback and we appreciate it....we are looking forward as a company and are doing our best to build a roadmap that honors who we are and what we've done in the past; while at the same time, doing our best to give our customers the products that they will use and enjoy....no easy task as we get suggestions from every angle. But we are up to the task.

Thanks again

17. shaneadams90

it's ESEE....so you know the warranty...that is why we want to get this right for all involved.

18. blacksprucy

blacksprucy Member

Maybe we will see the mythical Izula folder.

Solo likes this.
  19. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Well damn, I didn't think it was possible but I love y'all more lol. You truly are the best in the business when it comes to your consumer base!

hma153 likes this.
  20. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It's called the expat medellin..