Anyone use a Froe?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by dhunley1, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Slade

Slade Member

For anyone who is actually curious, this is a froe and how to use it. Using leverage over energy where possible is a no brainer. If you've got need and storage get one.

Also good for stuff like this that you could never do well with an axe.

2. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

That first video is what sold me on the idea of getting one, @Slade .

3. Slade

Slade Member

Something is wrong here.

4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

What did I do?

5. Slade

Slade Member

Never mind. I realize now you were just talking about hatchet vs battonning Bc of the schrade faux froe. I thought you went from asking what it was to saying you use both a froe or a hatchet depending on situation. Context. My bad.

The point of a froe is not to baton but to turn and split with leverage. You do have to get it started but that's not really what makes it work.

ManOfSteel and Theodore like this.
  6. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Member

It looks similar (in a cheap way) to a Japanese chopping hatchet. It's a froe only if you don't know what a froe is, kinda like the Buck froe. "Froes" are more popular now thanks to all of the internet warriors who type "that's knife abuse...get a froe" on batonning threads. It might be a handy tool to keep near a woodpile to split kindling.

ETA nevermind. According to PM101 he personally designed this. I wouldn't take it now if it was free and came with a complimentary five dollar bill.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    erik likes this.
  7. W.Jester

W.Jester Member

Learning something new about what a true froe is. I do like the handle position on one. Looks like you can definitely get some leverage on it.

8. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

My dad actually made one for me for Christmas. It's smaller because I plan to mostly use it for carving, but it's pretty cool. Once I get it I'll post up pics.

Slade, C99c and dhunley1 like this.
  9. C99c

C99c Member

I've seen guys use a froe making wooden furniture before.
    And I believe it's use is described in one of the Foxfire books, but I'm only about 50% sure that's where I read it.

The Preparedmind guy..... wow. I don't want any part of anything that guy has a hand in, unless it's a permanent gag for himself.

10. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Very cool. I should ask if we have one around the farm.

11. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

You don't know what you are talking about, every schrade knife is the best survival knife... Haha

12. Stone

Stone Member

He says in the low 20's.

Yeah, I want one. This could be the missing piece of my kit, and could even replace my ...

... ok, I'll get to that part later.

How can we find out when they're available?

BTW, when I read Froe in the subject line, I thought you were asking about the way I wear my hair.

[​IMG]

13. Stone

Stone Member

Here's an after-thought,
    about an hour later.

I hereby place my order for an ESEE Froe,
    which could be available by 2023 **.

I mean, I get it. I understand this tool, the 'froe',
    at least this * version of it. (There are more traditional ones for carpentry.)

* This is all about making kindling w/o an axe or batoning your fav bc knife. :eek: :rolleyes:

I get it. I want one. Way lighter than an axe (which I don't need for firewood; see "saw").
    ___

** Ok, ok, 2025, but quality takes time. Worth the wait.

14. C99c

C99c Member

Admittedly, I've never made it through one of his entire videos, have only watched pieces of a couple that folks have linked to and that was not recently so maybe there's some good stuff in there somewhere.
    I'll never know because his voice and stammering annoyed the hell out of me (not saying that I would sound any better, but I've got enough sense to know it and not put out YouTube videos shilling crap) and he seemed to not have a clue when it came to the stuff he was "reviewing".

The one thing that always comes to mind when I see the name is the video someone put up on the old forum of him comparing some flashlights. I don't remember the brands and don't care to waste my time searching for the clip, but he had his preferred light and another one which he didn't seem to know anything about.
    The one he didn't like he turned on and threw it at a nearby tree (multiple times, I believe). It kept working and he was clearly disappointed and stated that he "wouldn't have been surprised if it had stopped working" and his favorite light was still better.

Like a spoilt kid whose mom got him the wrong toy so he ignored that it was fine and just pouted.

Klynesquatch and ManOfSteel like this.
  15. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

I started watching a couple of his but it became clear he wasnt interested in honest reviews and like you said he didn't seem to know much if anything about the products he was reviewing.