Ammunition shortage

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by KMCMICHAEL, Nov 10, 2020.

1. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Going long range shooting with my son for Veterans Day. Went to Bass Pro to get some 6.5 Creedmoor. None on the shelf. I noticed a bunch of people in a line. Turns out they were waiting for ammo that gets delivered each day. Some had been there for hours. I am thinking what else I can shoot and the line starts to move. I lucked out with 80 rounds. I don’t shoot Centerfire rifle much because my range is rimfire rifle only.
    I have not reloaded in 30 years but I am saving my brass now.
    The positive, I plan to shoot at least 1000 yards tomorrow. A first for me. 800 has been my max.

I hope this gets better. I’ve been shooting for over 50 years. I have slowed down but would hate to lose this.
    Eveery time there is ammo hoarding, I think those people will sell cheaply in a few months. It hasn’t happened.

How are ammo supplies on the other side of the pond?

2. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I’ve seen it scarce, but this is by far the worst. Very little of any caliber for sale. What you can find is very expensive. $1.50 for 5.56 and 0.70 to a buck for 9mm. Hope it gets better, but I’m not expecting it to get better for many moons. The days of burning thru 600-700 rounds per range trip are over for awhile. My shooting partner and I have been working on low round count drills. Lots of reloads, malfunction drills, and movement to slow down ammo burn. I’ve been limiting rifle range time to 20rds per trip. Starting at a hundred and working to 1k in 100 yd increments. Hope you enjoy the 1000 yards. It is rewarding. If you can get away for a few days, km precision is an awesome range to train at. I don’t know another range to compare it to! Especially for long range.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  3. Theo

Theo Member

Times are tough and only getting tougher over the next few months.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  4. ASH

ASH Member

It sucks. I don't need any ammo except for .243 but I don't have to have it and it's never been super cheap to begin with. But it sucks that you can't just walk in to your local store to pick up enough ammo for a afternoon at the range. Almost anything you find in stock is priced insane. I looked a few days ago just out of curiosity, the lowest I found in stock that day was nearly $900 for the same case of .22 lr that I paid $250 for in February.

5. CCMI

CCMI Member

Good time to stock up on shotgun ammo since that's the only thing on the shelves anyways and prices are still pretty reasonable.

Big box stores seem to have better pricing but like you said it's there and gone so fast. An acquaintance who owns a gun shop said dealer cost on 5.56 is about $0.60 per round not including shipping right now. Lots of folks gouging but actual costs have gone up too.

ASH likes this.
  6. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Around these parts hunting ammo and shotgun ammo (not Buckshot) are generally available I walked into a Bi Mart a week ish ago and they had 9mm. $15 a box of 50. Shoulda got some just to sell to friends. Didn't.

7. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

The ammo that I bought is faulty. It seems to disintegrate just past 800 yards.

Zeek likes this.
  8. IW17

IW17 Member

I've bought that kind of ammo before. Sometimes it disintegrates sooner than that.

Zeek and KMCMICHAEL like this.
  9. ASH

ASH Member

Thankfully I have a few nice pellet rifles to play and hunt with. I just need to get a compressor for my PCP rifles. Hmm... that might go on my Christmas list. Pumping to 3000psi gets old with a bicycle pump.

10. ASH

ASH Member

It just popped up in my news feed. Vista outdoors say's that they have a one year and $1 billion back log of orders.

11. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

It was still a good day and no more than I shoot at that distance it was great. I did have some trouble not remembering how to zero the scope as it had been a few years. Having to change ranges for sight in and different sitances seemed to upset the flow 8E38A494-8035-43F2-8951-46A543F29487.jpeg

Zeek, Twoody88, IW17 and 3 others like this.
  12. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

One of the good by products of this is that people are training more with their gun without shooting.

what do I mean?

The shooting is the relatively easy part to get good at. Mastering weapon manipulation is the forgotten part. I see 20 year veterans fumble with mag exchanges, clearing malfunctions, a horrendous draw, etc.

All of those things can be done for free and when you finally get on the other side of this ammo shortage you’ll be a far better pistoleer.

Note: this post is not applicable to long range rifle shooters. You have to shoot to get better :)

13. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I agree. Weapons craft and marksmanship benefit greatly from repeated manipulation and dry fire drills.

One of the biggest advantages of the revolver was the ball and dummy exercise. Three rounds were loaded in the cylinder along with three spent bulls. The cylinder was spun and closed the shooter did not know if the round was live or not. I still use it. Although not strictly dry fire, it is invaluable.

‘I enjoy shooting a rifle at longer ranges. It can be extremely suspenseful and rewarding due to the drama of waiting for the projectile to hit the steel. I rarely do it due to the distance I must travel to find a range. The cost and rarity of ammo does not help. Anyone in the market for a .338 Lapua?

14. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Midway has bulk Aguila .22lr super extra for a not so terrible price of 160 for 2k rounds right now, I see my single six and 10/22 getting alot more rounds though them in the future, now if only I could find the .22 conversion kit for a cz 75 in-stock Id be all set.

IW17 likes this.
  15. ASH

ASH Member

That's interesting, I've never seen Aguila in a bulk pack before. They're out of stock now for anyone interested.

16. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Ah dang, I have bought the super extra in 500 round bricks before, ran great in my 10/22, it said four packs of 500 so it will be interesting to see if its broken into the normal boxes of 50. Always liked the little cardboard box of 50, the perfect size drop in pocket for squirrel hunting or to keep stashed in the glove box or back pack to feed what ever .22 I might decide to have an impromptu plinking session with.

ASH likes this.
  17. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I did luck out at Scheels this week. CCED27B2-33AC-4B3D-83E5-61CF15F92A94.jpeg and acquired 80 rounds of 6.5 140 grn.

Strigidae, IW17 and Zeek like this.
  18. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I still need some 17HMR and 6.5 Grendel and have no clue where to find any.

Zeek likes this.
  19. IW17

IW17 Member

17 hmr is everywhere around my parts. One of the only calibers that's easy to find. Haven't seen any 6.5 grendel in a while.

Zeek likes this.