Air travel

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Trailmaster, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

Whats your air travel kits? Any must have never leave home without items? Seems pretty basic unless you take into account flight delays and such. Especially the delays that cause you to miss a connecting flight. Airport “survival” is a totally different environment.

Jtallen83 likes this.
  2. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I tend to fly with just a carry on, which is helpful since you don’t have to worry about them sending your luggage to a different airport.
    My basic ‘don’t leave home without it’ stuff is as follows:
    -Water bottle, carry empty through the security checkpoint, then fill from a drinking fountain or other water source on the other side, some airports now even have convenient water bottle filling stations.
    -Compact snacks and other food, just make sure it’s not something that can get classified as a liquid, granola or protein bars, trail mix, peanut M&M’s, etc.
    I’m also partial to making a huge deli sandwich to take, but the cheese can look like explosives on scanners, so it always causes a little extra scrutiny, the sandwich always gets eaten first too, so having other snacks in event of flight delays is important.
    -iPod or phone with lots of downloaded podcasts, music, audio books, or tv shows, and two sets of earbuds. Trying to read a book amid the chaos of a busy airport isn’t always easy, and I find that plugging in some earbuds and to a podcast or audio book is a welcome relief sometimes, as well as helping pass the time. I always bring two sets of earbuds, since I’ve found they fail at the worst times.
    -USB chargers for all devices and a multiple port charger block, you may need to keep your electronics topped off, and should be able to make use of any power source offered with this combo, newer airports all seem to have USB banks, but older ones may only have wall outlets.
    -Flashlight, I never fly without a good flashlight on my person, it’s best to leave it in the carry-on bag until you clear security though. You may figure that most airports are well lit, but that’s not always true, additionally it provides a modicum of personal protection assuming that you carry a high output light, blinding a would be aggressor should give you the time deeded to get some distance, and in the high security environment of an airport that is typically all you need. Additionally, in the unlikely events of a plane crash or other emergency, having a light would be a huge advantage.
    Avoid taking anything overly large or tactical looking with strike bezels or cranulations on the bezel or tailcap, as these are definitely seen as weaponized and may not be allowed through security, my plain Malkoff MD2 and various Fenix lights have never posed any issues though.
    -Change of clothes, wet wipes, and deodorant, this may sound obvious, but when you’re stuck somewhere it can be a huge morale boost to be able to be able to clean up and change out your clothes. Additionally, this is a life saver if you get something spilled on you by another passenger while waiting for a flight, nobody wants to hop on a multiple hour flight wearing Mountain Dew soaked pants, LOL.
    -Paper copy of your boarding pass, despite the convenience of digital boarding passes, sometimes the scanners don’t work well, and a hard copy can expedite things significantly.
    -Pen and notebook, this may just be that I’m old school, but it’s great to quickly copy down the gate number you need to get to, flight reschedule time, or other information, I suppose you could use your phones notes app for this, but I still prefer and trust a pen and paper more.

I may have missed a few items, but there’s a basic list, hope it helps.

JV3, Jtallen83 and Trailmaster like this.
  3. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

Nice list, I carry most of it when flying, not the sandwich and I can't count the number of times I wish I had!
    I have been carrying a Gerber Impromptu pen for 5 years, about 75 flights, and only had TSA take a closer look once. I put it in the pen holder section of my carry on with my Surefire Titan Plus flashlight while going through security. Had the pen Cerakoted so the Gerber trademark doesn't show.
    https://www.gerbergear.com/Equipment/Pens/Tactical-Pen_31-001880
    IMG_0894.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    JV3, Wolfman Zack and Trailmaster like this.
  4. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

Great list! I carry most of those except the flashlight and I usually have it in my carry on. Live and learn I guess, that’s the best lessons. Recently my flight was delayed and I didn’t land until my connecting flight had already left. The airline put me up in a hotel though so that was nice. Unfortunately I hadn’t packed any clean clothes or hygiene supplies. Could have been worse I guess. I had food and a water bottle, but it got me thinking. What if a person gets stuck IN the airport during a winter storm or something.

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  5. junglebum

junglebum Member

One thing I always carry is a pack of cigarettes and a lighter I don’t smoke but if you have the two together usually never an issue getting the lighter through security then

JV3, Trailmaster and C99c like this.
  6. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

iPad with Netflix downloads and earphones.
    Non metal belt.
    Water bottle to fill after security.
    Ambien for flights across the pond.
    Passport and copies
    If possible, money in local currency but ATMs are usually good.

JV3, Trailmaster and Strigidae like this.
  7. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

Interesting tip, I haven’t ever carried a lighter when flying, always just pick one up at the nearest store when I get where I’m going and give it away when I leave, I guess it would be nice to have one if you survived a crash in a remote area or something, but otherwise I never saw a need to have one during my flights or layover.

Excellent point on carrying some cash, I always make sure I bring extra when I fly, can be very handy for minor inconveniences like a broken credit card machine or ATM at the airport, or as bribes/tips to ensure you get well taken care of.

Trailmaster, Jtallen83 and KMCMICHAEL like this.
  8. C99c

C99c Member

I've found that a few not super expensive cigars serve the same function plus make good gifts or trade fodder.

I'll add that I never travel without a very small sewing/repair kit. It has come in handy too many times to count. I've made new friends and helped strangers out by offering up a safety pin or piece of tape when needed.

While I always carry a handkerchief, I also find a Buff is quite useful and it takes up very little space.

A small flashlight is always with me.

Trailmaster and Jtallen83 like this.
  9. junglebum

junglebum Member

@Wolfman Zack ever seen Alive dude... thats why I carry a lighter. Most of my flights take me into the artic circle a bic ligter would be literally a life saver if you go down somewhere cold

10. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

Oh absolutely, if you were to go down, it would be invaluable, another option (or maybe to supplement it) would be a small drilled ferro rod on your keys or as a pull on your bag.

Trailmaster and Jtallen83 like this.
  11. C99c

C99c Member

I knew I was forgetting something in my above post: contractor bags.
    Just like all of our vehicles and hiking/camping bags, our carry on bags have a couple of contractor bags. You just never run out of good uses for them and they take up virtually no space.

JV3, Trailmaster and Wolfman Zack like this.
  12. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Does anyone wash their clothes in the room when traveling? I find this to be a necessity at times. Some clothes are lots easier than others.

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  13. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

14. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

How do you do this? This would save me space for sure!

15. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I got in trouble in an upscale district of Buenos Aires washing my clothes in the apartment. I was saving money and hanging the clothes on open windows to dry about 6 floors above the street. They told me I couldn't do the anymore.

Strigidae likes this.
  16. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1558.JPG I wash them in the sink or bathtub and hang them in the shower. I have known guys that got chastised for hanging them on the balcony in a smaller town in Africa. I recently worked for a guy that hung his stuff on the car after we got to the site, underwear on the windshield wipers.

I have used shampoo and some regular detergent. The next time I go somewhere I am going to get some sort of detergent that rinses more easily.

The big secret is avoid cotton or wool. Wool socks are great if you are going to wear them multiple days but slow to dry...actually all socks are slow to dry no matter what they are made of. I have the advantage of only wearing socks when working. It takes a long time to dry. Blue jeans are slow but do not have to be washed much. Unless worn in smokey places.

My procedure:
    Run water in tub with detergent;
    Swish around, you can shower when doing this.;
    Let sit for 15 min.
    Drain water
    Squeeze out as much as possible, I do not wring.
    Run clean water, let it sit some more.
    Drain
    Squeeze out as much as possible.
    Roll item in towel and walk on rolled towel.
    Hang up to dry.

I have pants and ****s that will be dry in a few hours as in next morning.
    Underwear takes a little longer and socks even more so.

I usually don't wear socks off duty and usually no underwear unless my wife is along.

I could easily do a trip with two pair of pants, two shirts, 3 pair of sox and underwear. I don't as one can usually carry plenty of clothes. But if you are going to be somewhere a month or in some locations laundry can be a pain.

Someday I will make non working trip with just a daypack with one change of clothes.

Wolfman Zack and Strigidae like this.