180 Flame backpacking stove: first impressions

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Stone

Stone Member

Here's my first fire in it.

I've now fired it twice.

It burns like a blow torch.

Music to come later.

@anrkst6973, you're going to want one of these. :cool:

2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Looks good man. Open bottom? Sure appears that feeding it would be less of an issue than other twig burners. Next question is how secure are the cross bars? Do they stay in place well? Next thing you'll be carrying one of those tiny grills to set on top...take up therapeutic fishing or something. :D

Zeek and Stone like this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

I should have posted a link to the page about it. It's here.

For those wanting the larger one, check out their original 180. It's 1/3 again as large. But for me, the smaller 180Flame is perfect. Stainless steel, 6 oz, goes together easier than the Emberlit, and is easier to feed, and I think it's going to be more stable for cooking -- it's low and long vs tall.

And yes, open on the bottom. One can purchase separately a bottom "ash pan" for the larger one -- basically just a piece of stainless that folds open and sits under the stove -- but they don't make a pan for the smaller one. Rumor has it that it (the bottom pan) warps pretty badly. When I need one, I'll use a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, or a flat rock (like a piece of shale -- quite common here).

In winter, I'll probably cook on a rock, also.

Re the cross pieces on top, yes, quite stable. They actually slide in and lock into slots on the side. I'll try to get some better pics, but you'll see how it works on their site. I think this one works. The cross bars have slots in them that fit over the edges of the stove and into the slots.

[​IMG]

Overall, it's a genius design. We'll see how it holds up over time.

ETA: Oh, forgot to mention. It's impossible to put it together "wrong". The two side panels are symmetrical, so either end can be front or back. The back panel just hooks into two slots, then the cross bars go on. Takes less than 30 sec. All you've got to do is to make sure the slots for the cross bars are both "up" when you connect the side panels with the back panel.

And yeah, I'm probably going to have to fashion some kind of little grill for it for fish and meat. :)

Once I get the new field camera (later this week!!! :) ), I'll film a longer review with the pot, do some boil tests, etc.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  4. Stone

Stone Member

I also owe this forum a couple of other reviews, first and foremost on my Corona folding saw (which I really like a lot so far). But I've wanted to wait for the better camera. The little Sony pocket cam -- which is over a decade old now, a hand-me-down gift from someone on the old forum that appears to not be here now -- just can't quite keep up anymore. :(

But the Canon is going to be a significant step up. It's on the bottom end of zoom cams, but still gets really glowing reviews, especially good for the sub-$300 price point.

[​IMG]

If all goes according to plan, I'll replace that one with a Canon EOS Rebel T7i before I get to Scotland next year. It's about $900, runs circles around the SX530, but is very similar in OS and design (except that the T7i is a true DSLR, the 530 is not). So, I see the SX 530 (to come this week) as a sig step up for me now, but also a trainer for the T7i. :)

My organization is gearing up to work with videographers in Scotland next year (and beyond). I'll be using this cam (the 530) to shoot prototype videos that are more about content, and try to attract professionals to help me represent the content with better gear and skills.

I know just enough about videography to be dangerous. :rolleyes: My filming and editing skills are decent -- and improving -- but I'm not a videographer and I don't play one on TV. :D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  5. Stone

Stone Member

By the way, @nathan shepherd, about my line in the post above -- "My organization is gearing up to work with videographers in Scotland next year (and beyond)."

We've found one group based in Glasgow with a very interesting philosophy and business structure, and they look top drawer. Not sure they'll be in our budget initially, though, so I'm seeking others. Options are always good. I want them to be based in the UK, preferably Scotland.

Any suggestions and/or leads would be appreciated. :)

nathan shepherd likes this.
  6. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Good to hear your plans are still going well. The new camera looks good. I'm sure we will get to see some footage from it soon.
    That does look like an impressive company that you've attached a link to. I don't really have any idea on the subject of videos so can't really give you any advice or local knowledge. Sorry. I'm sure you will be able to find something though.

Ps. Your new stove looks great. Cooking up some decent food on it would make a great subject for an experimental video on your new camera. I'd watch that!

Zeek and Stone like this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

Great ideas about filming the cooking. I'm always looking for excuses to cook and make videos, so I'll have to cook up something special soon with the new cam on a tripod. :)

nathan shepherd and Zeek like this.
  8. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Everyone loves watching food being cooked! If it's being cooked on wood outside then it's going to be tasty.

Zeek likes this.
  9. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

I have this stove and I agree it rocks!

nathan shepherd likes this.