Basic beginners bass fishing setup?

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by chorpie, Apr 30, 2017.

1. chorpie

chorpie Member

You know... it does not

Mountainmistwanderer and Zeek like this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

Practice makes perfect... ;)
    tmp_13198-e5574e34c97f50294e4c0106e752a4071168019465.jpg

IW17, Theodore, Dagwood and 2 others like this.
  3. chorpie

chorpie Member

So should i be fishing worms, or jerkbaits?

Theodore, STPNWLF and Zeek like this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

Lol for real...

Dagwood, Theodore and STPNWLF like this.
  5. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

ROFLMAO

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  6. chorpie

chorpie Member

7. sparky702

sparky702 Member

There's so much to this question it's kind boggling there's no all in one hereMAN...You better be sure this is a road you wanna go down...bass fishing is by far without question the most addictive thing on the entire planet. I PROMISE YOU the first time you see that big ol pig jump completely out of the water and do a back flip you will be completely and instantly addicted to bass. I'm an electrician and i keep my tackle box and 3 bait casters on my truck AT ALL TIMES. I'm gonna piss everyone off but i have ugly sticks i use ugly sticks when the walking dead happens I'm gonna carry an ugly stick around but don't start with an ugly stick. There's just way too much action in the tip. Spend a little money right away cheap tools cost way more in the long run.for the money you can't beat the INSANE sensitivity strength and diversity on a cabonlight I've tried. Get a 7'6" heavy xfast i can flip pitch jig finesse troll pop walk jerk and CAST A FREAKING MILE. Get a good real revo is a good bet no matter what.get a burner you can make a fast real slow as you want can't make a slow one fast. and practice constantly thumb breaking not gear control i can back hand into a head wind confidently 15 yards or drop a jig 3" in front of Tules at 30yards. Get some top water lures jerk baits divers jigs creatures craws and worms. Get good with jigs you'll out fish your buddy who won't put down the crank bait promise. Green pumpkin watermelon red black and blue white and chartreuse are good all around colors. Just some real basic starting points go learn what works for you and where you are. TIGHT LINES FISH ON BROTHER!!! 20180610_101337.jpg image_20180610_045855_1528635006615.jpg

Attached Files:

chorpie and Strigidae like this.
  8. chorpie

chorpie Member

Hadn't had much chance to fish as i'd been working 4 hours from home for the last 6 months... but i'm back now so i'll give it a go :)

Thanks

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  9. CWB

CWB Member

Short flyrod

10. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

Any luck on this? I’ve had excellent luck with trout and looking to expand my horizons into bass. I have a Cadence CR-7 (6’6” Med Fast) and CS-8 reel with spectra braid. I really like their stuff, not too expensive and performance is good.

I’ve only been out once. I caught a small mouth on my trout setup (Cadence also) using a Panther Martin spinner?! Ended up getting a limit of trout, grabbed my bass rod with a flat side crank bait and continued to catch trout with it... I threw in the towel after that. I’m thinking of heading over to SW NM where the well known bass waters are.

@chorpie, I grew up in NorCal. Lake Almanor is a must, if you don’t mind the drive. Beautiful area and great fishing. Eagle Lake isn’t faraway from there. They’ve got some pretty big lake trout.

11. chorpie

chorpie Member

Not too much luck, although not many chances to go lately. Soccer and baseball have just wrapped up for my boys, although they still have Cub Scouts. Not sure how often i'll get to try, i may focus on fly fishing now as people will stop hitting the Kern and the Kings now that winter is almost here. Best time of the year to fish :)

I'll put Lake Almanor on my map. My friend is from Oroville and we've been talking about taking a trip up there. Thanks!

shivermetimbers likes this.
  12. chorpie

chorpie Member

So... didn't really start up with the bass until the last couple months or so. Been working a lot, started a new job in 2019 and didn't really have any vacation time. Did a few day trips to the mountains, fly fishing for trout
    [​IMG]

Finally got a season pass to the lake that's 15 minutes away. Caught my first largemouth tonight. Pretty happy with it.
    [​IMG]

STPNWLF, Kylemeister, Kevo and 2 others like this.
  13. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Nice work!!!!!!

chorpie likes this.
  14. chorpie

chorpie Member

Thanks! Got it on a Texas rigged crawfish, it put up a good fight! Thought I'd lost it and snagged the weeds for a bit as it didn't budge for a minute or so

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  15. Nowhere

Nowhere Member

I use St Croix rods and Shimano Stradic spinning reels. The Ugly Stick is also not the wrong answer.