Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. TerryD

TerryD Member

I need to get out and use my gear more.

The more I read about adventures from the past, the more I realize I'm over thinking things.

Bushman5 likes this.
  2. ASH

ASH Member

Ticks have been bad lately. I've pulled several fat ones off one of the dogs and found 2 on myself in the last week. The first one was latched on just below my collarbone, I thought it was a scab when I first felt it. It didn't take me long to realize what it was, I guess ticks just have a distinct feel. Almost every time I find one, I feel it and know what it is before I find it. Like the second one I found crawling around my waist. That first one left a hickey, but it has almost stopped itching.

Bushman5 and RocketmanDane like this.
  3. ASH

ASH Member

I just picked 9 off that dog and 1 off one of the other dogs. They all just got pills, I'm thinking about taking one too.

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

One of the greatest analytical thoughts , on the epic movie BLADERUNNER, I have ever come across .

absolute brilliance, insight, deep thoughts, soul searching ever

5. ASH

ASH Member

Boy, I'm winded. I have had covid the last few days. I haven't been tested, but I realized that I couldn't taste anything yesterday. A couple of the guys at work were sick last week, I don't know what they had though. I was off Friday and started getting a tickle in my throat, that made me cough until my head hurt. My abs are sore from all the coughing. Saturday and Sunday, I got more congested and had fever and chills. I have had worse sinus infections, but this was just bad enough to irritate the heck out of me.

I made hot wings yesterday hoping that the spiciness would help break up the crud. I was trying to breathe the fumes while I made the sauce. All that did was take my breath away though. I dipped pretzels in the sauce to taste it but that's when I realized I couldn't taste it. Basically I can just tell if something is salty or sweet.

My work was cancelled today because of the storms, we had a oak tree come down about 7am this morning. I don't know what kind of oak it is, it was pretty straight with only a few bigger limbs. I did make a lot more cuts than I needed to because I cut it small enough for my wood stove. I only cut on it for about half an hour, but it slap wore me out.

6. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Seems like it’s making the rounds and while it won’t kill me, I’d prefer not to get sick. Two of my coworkers had/have it

7. ASH

ASH Member

It really wasn't bad for me, just sick enough to be really irritated and run down. My 60+ neighbor has been sick from it since before New year. He told me 3 weeks a week ago. Friday he called and said he was feeling good enough to get out and build a fire.

I just loaded up with vitamins, herbal supplements horse wormer, xclear nasal spray, honey, Jager and nasal irrigation.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
    Delkancott likes this.
  8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

We survived the storms unscathed. As a precaution we took down any tree close and tall enough to hit the house a few months ago.

Neighbors weren't all so lucky. 2 or 3 with small trees through their roofs and some of the fields around look like dominos with all the trees blown roots and all over into them.

3 inches of rain in 12hrs and 55MPH winds could have been much worse!

9. ASH

ASH Member

10. ASH

ASH Member

I recently ventured into the world of hats.... I didn't know how little I knew about hats. I have worn out some ball caps, but haven't worn one in years. I had started wearing a busted up looking straw cowboy hat when I am working in the sun a couple years ago.

I started wearing it out to friends' this past year to keep my hair out of my face since I stopped getting it cut. I decided I needed a winter hat and ordered a wool wide brim fedora style Stetson. Yesterday, I received my first 4x beaver blend Stetson. I also have a 3x resistol on the way and I'm shopping for a 10x or 20x open road style hat in a light color. I have a medium gray, brown and a tan, so I'm looking for a silver belly, bone, or light gray now.

11. ASH

ASH Member

I'm finally getting my taste back from COVID after 45 days.

TerryD and Strigidae like this.
  12. borrowed time

borrowed time Member

The universe is running out of hydrogen....

Thought you might be interested.

This has been a public service announcement.

Carry on.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    ASH likes this.
  13. ASH

ASH Member

I bought 2 more hats last night. I thought one was ugly as sin at first, but it's a cool old Dobbs hat with the box. It looks like it's never been worn, I think it's from the early 1960s, it was originally $20 which was one of their high end hats. I think the brim is a little small, but I paid $40 shipped. I couldn't pass it up to have a real quality hat for a beater. I think with the feathers and pin removed and maybe a different band, it will actually make a cool outdoors hat.
    Screenshot_20240224-104737.png Screenshot_20240224-104837.png

I also bought a nice vintage cowboy hat. I think I'm going to like softer, vintage hats more than the stiff modern cowboy type.

Screenshot_20240224-104926.png

I also have a couple more that, I have bid on. I might have a problem. I just need to get the ones coming in my hands to play with.

One of the bad things about living in the middle of nowhere is that there's nowhere around to go check things out in person. It's the same way with knives, you just have to order something that you think you will like and hope for the best. At least until you learn what you really want.

It's pretty interesting learning about the hat business, it's a lot like the knife business and I guess most other manufacturing industries. There were 56 hat factories in Danbury, Connecticut. I'm not sure how many were operating at the same time.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Strigidae likes this.
  14. ASH

ASH Member

15. ASH

ASH Member

Looks like I need to start working on a new hat rack today. I keep getting price drop offers on hats...

16. ASH

ASH Member

Screenshot_20240224-160846.png

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm happy now or happy for now, but I've bought enough to play with for a while.

I just cleaned the oiler and sharpened the chain on my Makita cordless chainsaw and I already have a tree picked out for a hat rack.

17. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Hats....growing up country they are the norm. Just before Christmas I was back home and this turned up....

[​IMG]

.....it is the Akubra (best known Australian made rabbit fur felt hat) my mother bought me when I was a teen......that puts it over 40 years old. It was thought lost after a trip in the late 80s. When found it was way out of shape and dirty but I have cleaned it up and mostly get it back into shape.

Strigidae, The Marsh Gorilla and ASH like this.
  18. ASH

ASH Member

I'm really happy now, I just sat down to think about this hat rack project. I think I have it worked out, I just need to finish and clean everything up and find a cast iron Christmas tree stand.

I sat down and looked at my phone and the seller of the last hat sent me a $19 shipping refund.

IMG_20240224_162030812_HDR.jpg IMG_20240224_162336645_HDR.jpg IMG_20240224_163533322_HDR.jpg IMG_20240224_165708046_HDR.jpg

Strigidae and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  19. ASH

ASH Member

I figured you would have some experience with Akurbra, I've been looking at some of them. I know I will be buying at least one at some point. I'm trying to decide if I want one lined or unlined. I would rather have lined, but I have seen several that I like that are unlined

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

That one is a Snowy River. Back 87-90 I was a skin buyer (as part of running a gunshop) and purchased 100s of kgs of rabbit pelts on behalf of Akubra ! So someone is probably still wearing them around on their heads now... :D

The Marsh Gorilla and ASH like this.