Shotgun Recommendation

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Delkancott, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Im starting to think about getting a shotgun for home defense. Needs to also be something my wife (non-shooter) can be trained to be comfortable with. Will also probably need recommendations on a light for it as well. Lastly, it will need to be “secure” (so we stay within the law) in our bedroom so what are some locks that are easy to remove in the dark.

Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  2. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I'm a huge Remington 870 fan. 12 and 20 gauge are great. I've owned both and am currently in the hunt for a used 20 gauge youth model for my wife...uh I mean really it'll be my grouse gun.

Lots of parts and aftermarket out there for the 870. You don't need to add much to it imo. Shotguns are heavy enough before you add a bunch of stuff to them. Mine has a +2 extension, aluminum foreend clamp and a sling. I'll be getting s light for it soon.

Kaw-liga and Delkancott like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Very hard to go wrong with an 870. How much effort is your wife going to put into learning to operate the scattergun however, a s/s may be a simpler choice if she is not going to learn the way of the pump gun.

4. ny700

ny700 Member

I really think the Remington 870 or mossberg 500 are the way to go. I have a 500. Personally I do like the feel of the 870 better but the deals that are often out there on the mossbrg are hard to pass on

Kaw-liga, Delkancott and koolaidnd like this.
  5. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I tend to overlook the mossberg 500 because I was bit by the 870 early on. Last summer I picked up a used mossberg 500 turkey gun for $100 from a private owner. Lots of good deals out there for used guns

6. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

The 870 and Mossberg 500/590 can be great guns. That said, recoil can be an issue for those sensitive to it, and running a pump gun is easy if and only if everything works right the first time. I've seen those who run pump guns regularly run into malfunctions that take seconds to minutes to fix...

I've become a huge fan of the Beretta 1301. It's light, semi-auto, gas operated, so recoil is less than a pump gun (still stout, it is after all a 12ga), and it's one glaring issue (a "feature" of sporting guns, but a problem on self-defense guns) can be fixed with a $20 part.

Delkancott and Zeitgeist like this.
  7. Boweevil

Boweevil Guest

If you're wife is coordinated, go with those mentioned above, the Remmie 870 or the Mossie 500/590. If she is not coordinated, I'd suggest getting a semi of some flavor. Why not just teach her how to use a handgun? It will be much easier to use!

8. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Vang Comp Systems Remington 870 or if left handed Mossberg 590A1 with Federal Premium 00 w/flight control. The porting will reduce felt recoil enough for your wife. Its tough to beat Surefire.

Delkancott likes this.
  9. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

...if you can get a chance to let her shoot some of what you're considering first, I'd really very highly suggest that. Letting her make a decision as to what she thinks is manageable in terms of recoil instead of you, or a forum, making that decision for her. Same with how to work the gun...racking a pump isn't hard, but dealing with malfunctions is a bit more difficult--let her make the call on what she thinks is easier to use. Regardless of who the shooter is, if it's something they're afraid of recoil-wise, and are barely familiar with, they aren't going to do well shooting it in a stressful situation, or worse yet actually "running" the gun (more than one shot required, any other sort of thinking required beyond point and shoot) under stress either. Once you do make a decision on what to get...actually train with it. And by "train" I don't mean just range trips or outings with friends.

10. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

SxS are easier to search rooms with due to their short length, and less likely to be wrestled away from you.

Many grown men short stroke their 870 under pressure.

Kaw-liga, Delkancott, STPNWLF and 3 others like this.
  11. ny700

ny700 Member

If coordination or commitment to practice may at all be an issue I would second the earlier settlement of a good old side by side may be a better choice.

I think sometimes...most times we get caught up in these visions of die hard, and taken and every other action movie. Fact is if my wife was going to confront a situation and two rounds of a a 12ga aren’t curing it I want her to run for her dear life and not worry about reloading, malfunctions or confronting multiple hostiles

Delkancott, KMCMICHAEL, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  12. BobbyRatTail

BobbyRatTail Member

I agree 100%. Regarding situations mentioned above, I tend to believe simplicity is elegance.
    Tactical variants are available if that diddles your jimmies.
    https://www.stoegerindustries.com/double-defense-shotgun

Delkancott and nathan shepherd like this.
  13. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

I could really have fun commenting on these statements;) But I'll behave:D
    As to the initial question, a shotgun isn't the best home defense weapon.
    Why? Heavy - cumbersome in close quarters - takes two hands to operate - limited rounds.
    A handgun with weapon light would be a better choice.
    Why? Light and compact - high capacity - one hand operation (leaving support hand for opening doors and calling 911 on cell while keeping weapon at the ready.
    Just food for thought after watching Magpul's "Art of the dynamic shotgun".
    OH and I prefer 870's :D

Kaw-liga and Zeitgeist like this.
  14. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Yes, perhaps a better term than short stroke could have been used. I have watched thousands of people qualify with an 870 and many have problems properly operating the 870 with the assertive aggression required for a pump shotgun.

Of course the handgun is better for close quarter than a long arm using your reasoning. Why are they not used by most military and law enforcement as a primary weapon?They do not have the ability to incapacitate of most long arms and they require more skill to hit the threat.

Kaw-liga, STPNWLF and Delkancott like this.
  15. Boweevil

Boweevil Guest

It's going to boil down to what your wife is most comfortable with. With us being individuals, we are all going to grab something different. Some will grab a short-barreled AR, some will grab a handgun. My wife will grab the .357, when I will grab the 870. It's all about what you are most comfortable and most confident with. And once again, it's the training that helps the most.

16. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Member

Agreed. Or even.....

An AR pistol in 5.56 or .300blk with 10" barrel and one of the stabilizers like the shockwave blade/sig brace/Thordsen cheek wield would also be a decent choice. Can be operated one handed like you mentioned above and/or shouldered if needed. Good firepower with 30rnd mags, rail space for weapon lights.

17. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

If I was looking for a shotgun for my wife, I’d look at the 20 gauge offerings. They beat the shooter up a lot less but you still deal with the mechanical aspects of a shotgun.

18. Ovarb19

Ovarb19 Guest

Yep! 20 gauge will have less recoil and will still get the job done at room to room distances!

19. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Thanks for all the replies. I indeed to get us both training for handgun and shotgun and do want her to pick one out after she has an opportunity to shoot. I just need to find a good local place for some training.

Kaw-liga, BobbyRatTail, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  20. the925life

the925life Member

LOP is a definite consideration on pump guns. I had to cut down the stock on my 590 so my wife (5'6") could use it comfortably. Just something to consider. Whatever you get, make sure she can manipulate it with ease, especially if a pump gun.