Winkler Knives

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

your shop under water from that storm surge? :confused:

2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Nah, I'm just busy in the kitchen making food. :p

3. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I use the standard high ride sheath when I want it really concealed, and a more traditional leather pouch sheath for outdoor activities or if concealment isn’t as much of a factor.
    The leather pouch sheath actually is fairly well concealed by a loose shirt anyways, just might have the very bottom of the sheath show.
    [​IMG]

KnOeFz and Hammer like this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Member

Gotta agree with Reno. It took me a bit to warm up to the sheath for my Belt Knife, but now I love it and appreciate the thinking that's gone into it. I find the Belt Knife be too long for horizontal carry for my tastes, and it's not a knife I EDC. It's a backcountry knife for me, where I don't worry that much about concealment. But as Reno says, it is a nice feature of the sheath that it rides in a pretty low-key way under an overshirt.

I've been thinking of ways to rig a drop loop on it for wearing below a pack belt. But knives on danglers kinda drive me crazy if I'm hiking all day. I might just set up some Pull-the-Dot loops so that I can easily transition the knife from my pack belt to my waist belt when I get to camp.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    JohnGer and Wolfman Zack like this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Member

Sheath aside, congrats on the new Winkler! I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the Woodsman.

6. JohnGer

JohnGer Member

Thanks for your answers!

The Woodsman looks to be an awesome knife. I just cut through everyday stuff like paper, cardboard etc. But tomorrow it will find it´s way into the darkness of german woods ;-) After that I think I can say a few words more. But it just feels "right" in the hand, so I don't´thinks something else will come out.

With the sheath... I know what I am missing... I wonder why so less knife manufacturers use rotational clips etc. for their sheaths. I don't want to go too deep into general discussion about sheaths but... yeah...

To the Winkler Sheath... I don't like the high ride. Where do you carry it that way? I hate it, when I lean sideways etc. and you have the knife handle sticking against the torso...
    I would like to find a good way to carry it crossdraw, or somewhere center line.... Maybe I´ll give it a try to start cary knives on the backside. Just thoughts.

7. JohnGer

JohnGer Member

So, I took it out in the woods on Sunday. What can I say? As expected, a basically indestructible all around knife. Cuts better then I thought it would. The Edge was super sharp - I am not sure if I can get the mirror polished edge back with my sharpening skills... - and holds its edge pretty well. Sure it´s not a Mora (blade geometry, thickness etc.), if you plan beautiful feather sticks - but its good enough to get the job done.
    Penetrates better then I expected. Just tested it a few times with and without gloves on a wooden log. What really impresses me is, that the wooden handle allows such a good grip. No slipping at all. Normally I prefer Rubber-, Micarta something as a handle, not wood! I have a few knives with wooden handle, and as long as they don't have real fingerguards, like a Old-School-Bowie etc. I would not do some Stabbing-Tests like this with them.
    The knife really "sits in place" in my Hand.
    All other things like Batoning etc worked as expected. I didnt test this as much, just for fun. And again, it was like expected, splits like a Mo.... er but sure not for bigger logs then the blade is long - the usual stuff for a knife in this size...

For Self Defence / CQB, I think this knife would be a good choice. Normally I would, again, prefer something with another handle material and / or bigger fingerguards, but this one doesn't slip - whether in normal or reverse grip. Maybe I should test it, when it´s wet. I didn't do that.

So, yeah, an absolutely great knife.

Maybe two stupid questions.... what is the smell the Knife had, when it came out of the box? That was kinda disgusting hahaha I just cleaned it up with a bit of oil etc. and its almost gone...

And... what is the difference between Winkler Knives and Winkler Knives II?!?!

Reno Lewis likes this.
  8. Reno Lewis

Winkler knives is Daniel Winkler's hand forged stuff, really high end pieces. Winkler Knives II (2) is his semi-production work (his most common stuff).

The smell out of the box is the Caswell oxide finish. I've come to love the smell of fresh Winkler in the morning. Smells like victory. :p

Dagwood and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  9. Hammer

Hammer Member

Yup. Winklers, on the surface, appear to be really simple, almost 'retro' knives by today's standards. But when you use them, you realize how much thought has been put into really subtle details and what serious performers they really are.

[​IMG]

JohnGer, DYSPHORIC JOY and Reno Lewis like this.
  10. Hammer

Hammer Member

11. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Has anyone picked up any of the winkler/knight collabs? I’m beyond in love with the Arkansas Toothpick that’s up on Wilson Combat.

Klynesquatch likes this.
  12. Reno Lewis

do it do it do it do it do it

JohnGer and Klynesquatch like this.
  13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I’d have to sell something to do it

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Yeeeess its sells the preciouses to gets what its wants.......

Do it do it do it.........

JohnGer and Klynesquatch like this.
  15. on edge

on edge Member

I like this older style choil/guard. Any idea why it was changed?

JohnGer likes this.
  16. JohnGer

JohnGer Member

A very nice combo for almost everything:

65A98031-7388-4903-82EF-37D77FED41B3.jpg

Chase, Hammer, KnOeFz and 3 others like this.
  17. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I’m gonna sell my Pathfinder MUK (once I find it) to help fund the AT ;)

JohnGer, Bushman5 and Reno Lewis like this.
  18. Who dares wins

Who dares wins Member

Not sure but the newer one is abit thicker older one more thin and slicey but I believe they do vary

on edge likes this.
  19. Hammer

Hammer Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reno Lewis likes this.
  20. Menace

Menace Member

Just got this blue ridge hunter in. Absolutely love it. Cant wait till I get to put it through the paces
    IMG_20181113_112324_661.jpg IMG_20181113_112324_662.jpg 20181113_110524-01.jpeg

KnOeFz, JohnGer, IW17 and 4 others like this.