Wilderness Plants, Lichens, Moss, Fungi & other Flora

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Bushman5, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Pincushion cactus (mammillaria)

This is a very small cactus that has pepper shaped fruit during season. While they resemble a pepper they are actually quite tart. Once ripe they are easily picked off the cactus. They can also be used in a tea. I have heard the stems of this cacti are edible once roasted (spines removed of course). I haven't actually done this myself though. I've only ever consumed the small fruits. IMG_6101.JPG IMG_6114.JPG

Strigidae likes this.
  2. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Mallow (common mallow) malva

I have also heard mallow called cheeseweed, and that is primarily how people think of mallow, as a weed. It is an edible green however and the young leaves, flowers/flower buds, and mallow "peas" are edible (along with the younger roots). It can be eaten raw or cooked, and according to my friend John Slattery (herbalist in AZ) the leaves can be made into a tea that helps relieve a cough or sore throats. IMG_6158.JPG IMG_6159.JPG IMG_6301.JPG IMG_6302.JPG

Strigidae likes this.
  3. jeeter

jeeter Member

Hen of the Woods

g. Frondosa

Polypore mushroom (has pores, not gills) that grows at the base of hardwood trees, especially oak. Grows from a central stipe (stalk) with numerous caps being generally spoon shaped, gray to tan with a white underside. Range is East to Midwest U.S., September to late November. 1-3 pores per mm.

henofthewoods.jpg henofthewoodscloseup.jpg

Slice into 1/2" strips, sautee in EVOO 3-5 minutes over med-high heat, add 1/4 cup beer and simmer until reduced. Serve alone or over rice/pasta.

IW17 and Strigidae like this.
  4. IW17

IW17 Member

Amazingly delicious fungi^

jeeter and Zeek like this.
  5. jeeter

jeeter Member

One of my favorites. Cauliflower mushrooms and lions manes are good also, and easy to ID. I thought I had some pictures of them I could post here, but apparently not.

IW17 likes this.