Wilderness Plants, Lichens, Moss, Fungi & other Flora

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Bushman5, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

This thread is to ID Edible, NON-edible Plants, Trees, Lichens , Moss, Fungi and other Flora that we find in the outdoors.

- identification (common names and Latin names < if you know them)

- pictures, (including macros if you can )

- uses (including health uses )

- safe preparation techniques

- other uses (bedding, bandages, containers etc)

Disclaimer: it is up to the individual to do their research before using wilderness plants, fungi etc. Some are toxic , a lot are fatal! If you are unsure, dont touch or eat!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Willow, HelRaiser, Zeek and 5 others like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I'll star with USNEA longissima (common name "Old Man's Beard" < often incorrect). There are lots of variants, each with their own distinct look, growth patterns etc. Today i'm focusing on Usnea longissima - the long hanging tendril variety.

its a pale green to light yellowish green lichen, than has a very distinctive long hanging tendril. it tends to bunch up near the branches of trees, but can often be seen simply hanging down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

It is used a lot by First Nations people as bandages, and prepared into salves and tinctures for many treatments.

Quote: "Usnea lichens contain Usnic acid (C18H16O7), a potent antibiotic and antifungal agent."

a good learning link is :

https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/usnea-herb.html

this week I gathered some and demonstrated its uses as bandages, bandage wrap, pot scrubber and makeshift gloves (Adventure Thread)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  3. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Excellent thread! I'll start taking pics as I run across them.

Zeek, Kaw-liga and Strigidae like this.
  4. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Awesome thread!

5. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Barrel Cactus (ferocactus wislizenii)

You can eat the fruit, seeds, flower buds IMG_2896.JPG The barrel cactus fruit looks like miniature pineapples, they are easy to gather when ripe, and can easily be taken by a pull and twist. IMG_2897.JPG IMG_2898.JPG The fruit itself is edible (tastes more vegetable than fruit but often has a slight citrus tone). Can be eaten raw or cooked. The fruit itself is full of seeds. These seeds can be dried and ground into flower for biscuits, flat bread, atole, etc. They can be eaten raw also IMG_2899.JPG It should be noted, that even after the fruit dries out, if intact, the seeds may still be available. IMG_2900.JPG IMG_2901.JPG IMG_2902.JPG

6. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

I'll post up more as I have time. :)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  7. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Great thread. I’ll add some examples from my AO.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Go to sleep and wake up to presents! Nice thread gentlemen!

9. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Poreleaf/Deerweed ( odorato) Porophyllum gracile (I believe...)
    Deerweed is a nice spice plant found in the more arid regions of the Sonoran desert.
    The plant had a distinct smell that is hard to describe. I find it pleasant, and it has a good accent taste for adding to more bland food. And while the flowers are a great way to help I.D. the plant, the leaves are what you are after. Use raw.
    I have read that Poreleaf/dearweed makes a good cure for stomach aches/indigestion/bloating. Have not tried this as I had none of those symptoms. But does not seem like a stretch to me. (I have eaten the leaves a few times)

IMG_2973.JPG IMG_2972.JPG IMG_2974.JPG

BigJake, Kaw-liga, HelRaiser and 4 others like this.
  10. Strigidae

Awesome!

Caleb O and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

The trees in the river bottoms are covered in Spanish moss, a type of parasitical growth. I've always heard that biting bugs won't live in it, ticks, chiggers, ect, so it makes for nice bedding or insulation. I've personally used hanks of it on ghillie suits to add both dimension and cover scent. It's so common and widespread you could easily fill a boat full in short order. A useful easy to find resource if you happen to be "down South aways". ;)

BigJake, Willow, Kaw-liga and 6 others like this.
  12. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Wild mustard/London Rocket Sisymbrium irio
    This is wild mustard. Grows throughout the Sonoran desert after rains. Once again a great accent/spice plant to add to bland foods.
    The flowers and young leaves are the most palatable part, and taste kinda like spicy mustard and wasabi. Use raw.
    Likes to grow in disturbed soil. Washes, bases of mountains, campsite and edges of trails, even your backyard if you are in Phoenix! Some of you guys might have it in your area of the country as well. Pretty prolific plant. IMG_2984.JPG IMG_2985.JPG IMG_2986.JPG

BigJake, Kaw-liga, HelRaiser and 4 others like this.
  13. Strigidae

YES!!!

Caleb O likes this.
  14. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here are 2 kinds of edible briars, the common briar. With a heart shaped leaf, and bull briar (the leaf has "ears") in the last picture. I love it when these begin to grow in the spring. Can be eaten raw or stir fried for an awesome Asian flair. The taste is great.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    BigJake, Kaw-liga, HelRaiser and 3 others like this.
  15. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Here are 2 more, common in ditches and fields through out the south. The first is prickly lettuce, a bitter green with a sticky white sap. Cooking will make this one much more palatable. The second is dock, very common and you can get a lot from one plant. Rather bland in taste but makes a filling (or filler? ) when added to a stir fry.

BigJake, Willow, Kaw-liga and 3 others like this.
  16. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Cholla (different types, teddy bear cholla, chain fruit cholla, and a type of stag horn I believe) There are many different types of cholla (and as they could be considered a "promiscuous" plant, many different cross breeds of cholla). All cholla "fruit" is edible. It does however need to be cooked. Boiling is the simplest method to prepare this vegetable; will need to brush or rub first to remove small spines. After cooking they can also be dried and ground into a flower like substance. IMG_3070.JPG IMG_3099.JPG IMG_3100.JPG IMG_3101.JPG

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    BigJake, Kaw-liga, Bushman5 and 3 others like this.
  17. Strigidae

You eat the little yellow and green things? Can you eat the plant as well? Are those fruits new growth or flower type things?

18. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Yup, yellow and green things. I'd leave the plant itself alone. Though the roots do have medicinal value. New growth, but the flower buds are good to eat as well.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  19. Strigidae

Excellent thank you! Your area is so intriguing!

20. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Thanks! The desert is actually a cool area once you get over the initial harshness off it. Takes some folks a while, others are drawn to it. :)