What Steel to get A2 or V3???

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by SICARIO, Aug 29, 2017.

1. SICARIO

SICARIO Member

I am looking at the Bark River Bravo Survivor and i do not know anything about A2 or V3 so i wanted to ask if anyone can tell me what is the best steel to get before i drop the $300.00 on this. Thank's

2. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

3V is a phenomenal steel when it's done right. I wouldn't buy A2 or 3V from BRKT as I'm convinced they overheat their knives at some point and their heat treats suck. I had a 3V blade from them and it rusted to **** in a hurry. That's the first time I've ever had 3V rust and pit, out of the dozen+ knives I've had in it.

SICARIO likes this.
  3. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I just don't buy anything from BRKT out of principle.

SICARIO likes this.
  4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I hate them too lol

SICARIO likes this.
  5. CWB

CWB Member

Buy a custom fiddleback for that price. Way better quality custom knives and they have the A2 heat treat down.

SICARIO and Zeek like this.
  6. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I've had the chance to use and sharpen both 3V and A2 from BRKT lately, and I've been very impressed, and have come full circle on my stance regarding them.

They make solid blades, of high quality construction and finish, and having seen their customer service in action, I was impressed.

The difference between the steels is likely better answered by some of the testing videos out there.

3V is a super strong, fairly corrosion resistant steel, which holds a very good edge, but is rather wear resistant meaning it will be harder to sharpen. Overall, it's a phenomenal steel.

A2 is a great carbon tool steel. It holds a better edge than steels like O1 or 1095 and is tougher, and more corrosion resistant than both, but is still a carbon steel. It'll be easier to sharpen than 3V, but won't hold an edge as long, or be as insanely tough.

I'm a fan of both steels for different purposes. For a Survivor, I'd go 3V if I could.

SICARIO likes this.
  7. daizee

daizee Member

A2 takes a wicked edge. Never used 3V myself. No opinion on the quality of BRKT's steel. Don't go below a 30d edge with A2. But with a chopper you probably wouldn't anyway.

SICARIO likes this.