Weird / Funny stories?

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by elgatoloco, Sep 26, 2016.

1. elgatoloco

elgatoloco Member

I'll start

Few months ago I was doing solo camping on one of the UK's highest peak, it is quite busy trail so it was later that evening around 7PM when it was only me there (I hoped) and few sheep grazing on the slopes nearby...no, this story is not about sheep....

Anyhow, as per usual around 8PM had my tent pitched, prepared some meal and tea and was watching sunset.
    10PM I'm in my sleeping bag nice and toasty and some weird noise woke me up (like someone walking on gravel near my tent - definitely biped), since it was quite windy I decided not to use any light to scare of the intruder and very slowly unzipped the tent entrance and what I see? A woman, around 40 yrs old, doing crouching tiger near my tent...she eventually noticed me and said "Turnaround! I'm peeing!" I turned my head around and asked "I can see you're peeing, but why so close to my tent?!" to which she replied "I'm always peeing here, it's great spot! just gave me a big grin and walked away" OK I thought, zipped my tent and went back to sleep. Oddly enough she wasn't dress like hiker, just jeans and "normal" jacket, trainers. 10PM and not even a flashlight, it wasn't that dark but still, there was at least 2 mile hike to nearest parking.

One of those weird moments in life I guess. I was half asleep, so it was actually the next morning when I thought I could have asked what she was doing there...

Maybe she was a fairy/ghost?

got any weird/funny stories you want to share?

Benson X likes this.
  2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I remember as a kid backpack camping in the 3 Sisters wilderness in Oregon. The area we were camping in was known to have bears but unless you left your food out you would never see one. We had set up camp along side a good size mountain lake and had multiple tents with all our food stored a good distance away. One morning we woke up early and were cooking breakfast when a few of us heard a sound and looked over across the lake. As we did we noticed a good size bear staring over in our direction probably smelling that mornings breakfast.... A slight chaos ensued as it appeared the bear was starting to walk our direction around the lake in search of our breakfast ...... My parents started yelling for everyone to get up and out of there tents when it was realized 2 of my teenage Bonehead brothers were still sound asleep in there tents. Even thou they were being yelled at they just pulled the sleeping bag up over there heads and didn't budge......

My mom having brought along a kiddo still in diapers knew exactly how to evict said boneheaded brothers from there tent with a quickness :) Having just changed the kiddo and having a fresh nasty diaper she pulled it from the plastic bag and hurled it into the 2 man size tent and zipped the door shut!

Lets just say the sound of the diaper exploding as it hit the back of the tent and the ensuing mad scramble to exit the tent is probably what caused the bear to turn and run as my brothers exited the tent covered in baby POOOOOO and running straight for the lake and diving in... The freezing cold mountain lake..... OR maybe the sound of said brothers suddenly remember how ice cold the lake actually was :) Lesson here don't f#ck with my Mom! ESPECIALLY when she has $hitty baby diapers around!

AND she made my boneheaded brothers and someone else( There was like 10 of us and i don't remember which adult) Hike the hour back to the vehicle and drive to the laundromat and wash their sleeping bags and other poopy gear and come back and join the group :) (With Extra fresh food of course :) )

Benson X likes this.
  3. trench

trench Member

This one time;
    At band camp...

4. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Oh that was you, it wasn't a flute.

5. trench

trench Member

What happens on the farm...stays on the farm.

And as fun as a flute sounded I went with the upright bass

6. Colt0208

Colt0208 Member

Here is my only strange experience I've ever had in the woods...

Last season I was out in one of our local Wildlife Management areas deer hunting, and had a strange experience. I have been in the woods hunting my whole life, and am no stranger to being out there in the dark. I decided to hunt the evening that day and had a 1-1.5 mile hike back to the back of the property, so I grabbed my climber and took off. After sitting most of the afternoon and not seeing much moving, it was starting to get dark so I began to get my gear together for the climb down. As I'm lowering my bow and pack down I can't seem to shake the "someone's watching me" feeling. I brushed it off and kind of sat there for a minute when I noticed that the woods were completely silent. No squirrels, no birds, not a thing. At that point the hair on my arm started to stand on end and got that fight or flight feeling. I climbed down, got all my gear wrapped up, and at that point it was completely dark in the woods so I was working off of a headlamp as I loaded up for the walk out. Just as I started back to the truck I looked up the trail and on the outer edge of my light beam, I thought I saw someone standing there just off the path kind of leaning up against a tree. I couldn't make out male or female, and the features of the face were almost blurred out. It shocked me for a minute because in the few years I have hunted that section of management land, I have never encountered another hunter or hiker. I reached down and unholstered my sidearm, hit the area with my Fenix flashlight, but found nothing. I reluctantly pushed on and never shook that hair on my arms standing up. Every once in a while on the way back through I would get that "being watched" feeling and would hear what sounded like something moving in the brush off to the side of the trail. I finally made it back to my truck and got out of there like a bat out of hell. Like I said, I have been in the woods since I was a kid hunting and goofing off, and have never had an experience like that before. Definitely creepy and I haven't been back out there yet this season. I really want to do some research on the property and see what I can find. In the front woods line, there is an overgrown abandoned barn that I have been in a few time, but no house or other structure.

Trailmaster likes this.