Watkins Glen suggestions

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by JollyRoger523, May 9, 2017.

1. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

The old lady and I received a gift card to a hotel in Watkins Glen, NY. We will be going for the weekend in a few weeks. We definitely plan on hiking the gorge (and hopefully getting some good photos with the DSLR). We're not interested in the race track, and neither of us are big wine drinkers (although she does enjoy a nice glass when going out).

Any advice or suggestions from forum bros who have been there before?
    - Hiking expectations
    - Good restaurants
    - Other attractions/activities

Thanks in advance,
    JR

STPNWLF and Zeek like this.
  2. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Used to pass through Watkins Glen when I was long haul trucking, Beautiful scenery. Wasn't able to stop in a 18wheeler unfortunately.
    Try doing a Google search
    Enjoy yourselves and take lots of pictures.

Zeek likes this.
  3. Zeek

Zeek Member

Been there many times. Wife surprised me and we stayed at the Harbor Hotel last fall for our anniversary. Expensive but we had a very warm weekend last Oct. and we were able to eat outside... the hotel grounds and view of the lake are beautiful.

Check out the winery options on-line. There are so many it is overwhelming. Some let you walk their property and have spectacular views/photo opportunities.

There are several other water falls along the lakes. Taughannock Falls may be one of the nicer ones over on Cayuga Lake and easily accessible.
    tmp_23341-387-392-3629276233.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  4. Zeek

Zeek Member

5. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

We're staying at the harbor hotel. Even with the gift card we received it is still costing a pretty penny, but I hear that it's real nice.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Member

The Harbor Hotel is very nice. I hope you have warm weather, their outdoor area facing the lake is great. Everything is close, you can almost walk to the Glen entrance from there.

7. Zeek

Zeek Member

My wife found this Wagner pan from 1915-1920 at an antique store on Franklin St. for $8.
    tmp_10538-20161218_160750-2044288273.jpeg
    tmp_10538-20161218_1606452044337770.jpeg

Strigidae likes this.
  8. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

9. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

The trip was great. The whole area was beautiful, but the glen especially was. I still need to download and edit the pics.

We were browsing the menu at the Italian joint when we were out walking around downtown. We planned on eating there later; however the smell of the BBQ joint a couple blocks down the road caught our noses and we ending up going there instead. Awesome food.

Zeek likes this.