Warm Boot Insoles

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Rich275, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Rich275

Rich275 Member

Posting this up for discussion and hoping someone else is willing to cannibalize their own space blanket.

Last month I started a new job that has me standing on the shooting range teaching full time. In all sort of weather. Great job, I applied for it so I knew what I was getting into.

Last month I spent a week teaching new hires when the temps barely got into the mid-20's the entire week. Very cold and very, very cold feet. While researching some boots to wear while standing around in the cold, I came across a boot that was advertised as having, "a thermal reflective barrier." No idea what that actually is, but thought about the several, extra space blankets that I have laying around. Remove the insole, cutcutcut and Ta-Da! Instant "thermal reflective material."

Have worn theses on and off for the past few weeks and they seem to keep my feet warmer. Or, at least it seems that way which is a benefit regardless. I had also done some reading about how the cold ground pulls out the heat. Something about thermoconductivity or some such sciencey-thing.
    They are a little fussy when putting the insoles back in on top of them so I may try to figure out a way to attach them to the bottom of the insoles. Not sure how or if it matters that these effect breathability.

[​IMG][/URL]

C99c, Datilite, R Stowe and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Keen Summit County III have a insole with the same concept. Their layer is in between two other insole layers. I owned those and fell in love. Literally like having a electric blanket as insoles yet not so much that my feet would sweat.

3. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I just bought some alpaca wool insoles that are suppose to be warmer. I haven't used them yet, but this would make a great addition as well.

4. IW17

IW17 Member

A friend of mine lives down the road from an alpaca farm. He just bought a pair of these and he loves them so far. I'm thinking about giving it a try.

5. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

I'm not a wool guru but from what I understand is while alpaca wool is the warmest it is also one of the weakest for holding together. I had a long discussion once with a couple that are alpaca people and while most of his production went out the door to clientele they did keep a small amount for his wife. She would hand make clothing from alpaca wool but would have a mixture of merino wool in it for durability and strength. They said that without the merino in it the clothing would easily come apart over a short period of time. They said that this all came from trail and error by the husband using the clothing while working the farm in upstate N.Y.