Wanting thoughts on bk7 mod

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Drew RedBear, May 10, 2019.

1. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

As a lot of you know I can't help it but mess with my knives, as in modding them. I specifically got the Bk7 because of the shape, and of course quality (although not quite esee quality imo). I want an old west style looking knife but unsure if I want to etch something or just patina it. I was thinking of something along the lines of this esee 4 I did but I kinda don't want the exact same thing. I also kinda want to do a native theme on it. I plan on using the heck out of this so if I do a patina, that would come off. Or should I just leave it the hell alone?? Lol.

BTW, sheath done by @STPNWLF received_862718847262900.jpeg 20190506_172955.jpg 20190506_172943.jpg

STPNWLF and Strigidae like this.
  2. daizee

daizee Member

Well... I think the blade shape is bowie-enough for what you want. And one of best-proportioned blades in the Becker lineup. The thumb ramp and handle are pure late 20th century, tho. You could grind the ramp off, leaving Wayne behind (the solo jimp that sits below the spine). You could also grind off the waddle behind the sharpening notch, and even blend the tang/handles into a less tool-grip shape. But to look truly "old west", I think you'd want a stick tang construction possibly with a guard. Which would suggesting buying something closer to what you want (keep the BK-7 of course!), or decide it's time to make one from scratch. ;)

Drew RedBear likes this.
  3. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

You have some good ideas. I was planning on grinding down the thumb ramp but need a grinder first. I see your points in the guard and waddle also, but like you said I'd be better off buying something else. However my budget doesn't allow lol so I'll have to stick with this. I may try to find a way to put a guard on it though, I've never seen that done but I'll try anything haha. Appreciate the help and advice.

4. daizee

daizee Member

Hmm, I wouldn't try to put a guard on that blade.
    Guards on full-tang knives are usually slotted guards, that are then soldered or double-pinned in place. I can't recommend getting that going on an already-hardened piece. If you're willing to go to that much trouble, might as well buy some 1084 and make your own knife from scratch. It would total about $40 in materials.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  5. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

This is my modded 7. I didn't do the mod, someone else did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Traditionalist and Drew RedBear like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

if you want a guard, make a set of micarta scales and cut them out and form the guard. Then fill the gap with brass inserts to match

Drew RedBear likes this.