Try sticks

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Grog, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Grog

Grog Member

I've only done one so I'm no authority but making one seemed like an awful good way to get to know my way around a particular knife pretty quick. This is a link to an image of the try stick from one of Mors Kochanski's books. http://www.karamat.com/trystick.pdf Post 'em if ya got 'em!

Busted my cherry with this one on a piece of willow I found when I was out fishing and using a S!K 2.7. The tip was a little fat for cutting out the square hole on this particular knife but it worked good in general.

[​IMG]

I don't understand how to use the root stripper but I tried to recreate it as well as possible from the image. Defeats the purpose of making a root stripper if you don't know how to use it I suppose but gotta start somewhere. No point in that Boker being in the picture, it must've seemed like a good idea at the time for size reference of something.

[​IMG]

I'm sure there are some people on here that can whip one of these up in their sleep but if you haven't done one before it was definitely educational!

Zeek, CWB, Benson X and 3 others like this.
  2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Try sticks are a phenomenal way to get to know a new blade. It's also good carving practice!

Here's my first try stick. Carved it a few years back with my Pasi Hurttila Tuohisarvi puukko.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeek, Benson X and Grog like this.
  3. Reno Lewis

And here's the second try stick I carved. This time with my old MP drifter Seax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeek, Strigidae, Benson X and 4 others like this.
  4. Grog

Grog Member

Those are sweet Reno! You took your cuts down way further than I did, I was chicken that I was going to split the wood. That MP Seax is bad, I just got a Bush Seax from AA forge, my first from him. Nice long straight edge to it.

Reno Lewis likes this.
  5. Reno Lewis

Thanks man. Yeah, I regret selling that one... It was nice. Oh well, I now have this beautiful custom Seax to dry my tears with...

[​IMG]

Zeek and Grog like this.
  6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Dry your tears with that you wind up looking like the guy from Pink Floyds "The Wall"! ;) I just like whittling so my try sticks just let me get a feel for how a knife cuts. I just never considered taking a picture of them.

Zeek likes this.
  7. IW17

IW17 Member

Which seax did you pick up Grog? I was eyeballing a 7" with curly maple handle from him.

8. Grog

Grog Member

Zeek, Stim and Reno Lewis like this.
  9. IW17

IW17 Member

That's freaking sweet. I've been close to trying one of his knives for a while. He makes some badass stuff. Actually the knife on the way to your house is made by his brother.

10. Grog

Grog Member

Yep, been following those fellas for a while. Not that I'm chomping at the bit for the Grey Wolf knife or anything.... :rolleyes: Cannot wait!

11. IW17

IW17 Member

Hey I don't blame you. I try to have patience but I'm still like a kid waiting for Christmas every time a package goes out!

12. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

What exactly is a "try" stick used for?

JMJ likes this.
  13. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

I think it's just to demonstrate various cuts used in bushcraft. We did them with RB at the SoCal class years ago.

14. VaughnT

VaughnT Member

It's just a practice piece. Better to get used to making the cuts and and the mistakes before you actually need them. By doing the Try Stick, you're building muscle memory and fixing the process into your mind for future reference. It's orders of magnitude better than simply reading about it in a book and hoping you'll remember it when the time comes.

And it gives you something to whittle away the hours while you're sitting in camp. The better the cut, the bigger the bragging rights.

Zeek and JMJ like this.
  15. Mudman

Mudman Member

Ah yes, I've done a few of those. I should practice these more!

VaughnT likes this.
  16. Stim

Stim Member

Never tried. Might give it a shot this weekend.

17. Stim

Stim Member

That knife is freaking sexy! I need one in my life. :)

18. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

Never heard of this but I was playing with my Esee 3 several months back and carved many of these designs into a limb. Had no idea what I was doing besides passing time. Now I'll have to do another one

19. Grog

Grog Member

I've got to turn my email notifications back on, dangit. Try sticks are great for using a knife in weird configurations you may not think you'd need it for until, well, you may need to. The weird notches are great ways to find out how you can use a certain knife in different grips. My favorite is the rectangular notch through the stick, it really brings a knife's point design into light. I've never used most of those notches and cuts on anything but a try stick but they're great to get to know your way around all the things a knife can or cannot do.

JMJ likes this.
  20. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Thanks for that explanation. Kind of like a final exam for you knife...

Stormstaff and Grog like this.