Tools and Standards

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by JAD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. JAD

JAD Member

It seems deplorable to me the lack of standards and frequent use of specialty tools to either service or fix things around us.

For example, my 2004 Jeep Rubicon used fasteners throughout the jeep that required both SAE and Metric wrenches. Why? Where are the standards? My jeep friends and I would shake our heads over working on them and using standard size wrenches and then all of sudden nope, it takes metric for that bolt. I have a friend that likes to run BMWs. He said their new cars require some kind of special wrench/tool for brake caliper removal that are prohibitively expensive so only BMW dealerships have them. It forces the service work back into the dealers.

More recently I had to purchase the "Strider tool" to disassemble my SnG. There is a similar type of spanner that Hinderer knives require. It looks like this.

[​IMG]

I made such a tool out of a screwdriver for the Hinderer. So I went to grab the modified screwdriver and no it doesn't fit the increased diameter of the Strider pivot pin. So this was a 2 strike hit. No standards and the necessity of another specialty tool for a similar fastener of a larger size. This isn't like owning various screwdriver sizes. We're talking a tool that they charge $32 for!

I bought the Strider tool because I didn't want to sacrifice a screwdriver with a blade large enough to make the span.

I realize there are myriad reasons that companies do this: force work into your dealerships (BMW), novelty (Strider/Hinderer pivot pins), outsourcing manufactured parts overseas for reassembly in US (Jeep), or just force you to buy something else from them, their specialty tool.

Further, I know this is "tilting at windmills", a la Don Quixote, to even attempt an answer, let alone a solution. But I stand by my initial statement, it seems deplorable. Carry on.

Addendum: I am part of the problem because I bought the specialty tool that supports this BS.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    JMJ, Jerry, Reno Lewis and 3 others like this.
  2. C99c

C99c Member

I tend to avoid buying things that require ridiculous specialty tools or have proprietary systems that can only be serviced by the company or their designated reps.

If I can't work on it I'm not interested.

JMJ, Reno Lewis, GaryMc and 2 others like this.
  3. JAD

JAD Member

That's why I posted my addendum. By supporting it through my purchases I fully realize I am giving tacit approval that I am willing to pay for this nonsense. Hanging my head in shame at my own foolish behavior.

4. trench

trench Member

My snap ring pliers always work on both my hinderers and every strider I've owned.
    I used to believe that the special or oversized pivots were all about knife strength. I know better now. I don't mind the special hardware but like you both, I want uniformity. If my tractor uses fine thread metric so be it, don't switch just because the guy who made the seat uses something different

GaryMc, Bcamos and C99c like this.
  5. JAD

JAD Member

@trench I thought about using my snap ring pliers but that is really not their designed function. I had visions of them slipping and marking a two inch long gouge in the scale. Oh boy, you would have seen one angry SOB.:mad:

GaryMc likes this.
  6. trench

trench Member

But I only use the snap ring pliers to hold the back side of the pivot I don't try to loosen that at side with them. I suppose if I used more loctite I would have more of a problem but I just cleaned my xm18 on Sunday and used my thumb to hold the backside while I removed the pivot screw.

Again. I don't mind having to buy a tool if I know I will love the thing it's designed for, what should bother you more is that you probably void a warranty by dismantling your knife to clean it. Not saying you did but I have seen that writing in warranties before.

GaryMc likes this.
  7. JAD

JAD Member

Actually from what I've heard of Strider I am fairly certain I have voided the warranty. They don't want people disassembling knives (rolling my eyes). But if I can't take the knife apart to maintain it then it is junk anyway.

The risk I run is a catastrophic failure like snapping a blade in half trying to pry something. Strider in turn says "void" because it appears this knife has been taken apart and was not properly reassembled and therefore I caused the failure. The reality is a quality knife like this should rarely need warranty repair or replacement. And especially so in the hands of someone (like me) that cares for the knife and doesn't push it past a reasonable limit of use however hard that may be. So I guess I'm self warranting it as of right now.

JMJ and GaryMc like this.
  8. charles bower

charles bower Member

As for SAE and Metric, those are standard. You have the industrial revolution to thank for the standardization of tools and parts. Its a shame they use both on you Jeep but Jeep parts and assembled outside of the US as well as inside, not to mention Jeeps themselves are exported.

As for knives using proprietary parts that just comes down to money. If you want to work on your Strider you buy a Strider tool.

GaryMc likes this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Doesn't Landrovers use something like a "wolsworth" size? (I think that's how you spell it.... )

GaryMc likes this.
  10. JAD

JAD Member

@charles bower -- Oh yeah I realize that SAE and Metric are the "standards". More on point why is it that a given vehicle will not adopt one standard or the other?

This is a real life example. We changed an OEM starter motor one time (on my jeep) and it was held by 3 fasteners. Two of the 3 were let's just say a 9/16" box wrench. I kid you not, the third fastener was 15 mm. Now it isn't just a case of the wrench sizes being close and someone substituted a metric bolt and mating nut. These fasteners were going into a machined thread pattern. IT WAS DESIGNED THAT WAY!! That story became legend among my friends.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    GaryMc likes this.
  11. trench

trench Member

@JAD, if you maintain your strider by completely breaking it down for regular cleaning and reassemble it in a manner that simply keeps things running, the chances are almost negligible you would ever need a warranty claim. Otherwise why sell the ******* tool in the first place right? However, should you need a warranty claim because there was a crack in the blade or whatever, I believe I have read enough on usn in his forum that strider would take care of what needs fixing and worse case there is a minimal charge for the work. So what? I think it's more like hinderers hard stance on pimping his knives. He doesn't want a bunch of product returned to him because some asshole with a dremel hacked too much material off of a scale. The warranty weeds out a lot the rest are looked at as need be

GaryMc and JAD like this.
  12. JAD

JAD Member

@trench -- Your observation is probably right on the mark. Thanks for the commentary.

GaryMc likes this.
  13. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

You haven't voided anything by taking it apart. Their only caveat to this is that if you take it apart and can't put it back together, they charge you to put it together for you.

Now, you have certainly voided the warranty by modifying the locking surface on the blade tang.

GaryMc likes this.
  14. JAD

JAD Member

@Bcamos -- Way to go man. You're making me feel really good about it now. :(

GaryMc likes this.
  15. trench

trench Member

Just trade it to me so I can torment my camo friend and all will be well

GaryMc and Bcamos like this.
  16. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I'm not saying it's a bad thing! I've voided plenty of warranties. Also, I'm of the understanding that if the blade broke at the stop pin, they'd still replace it since the blade tang obviously isn't the stop pin. But if you had an issue with lockup, or lock slip, they'd charge you to fix it.

GaryMc likes this.
  17. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@JAD Totally agree, I am of the opinion no more knives that take proprietary tools for me, Southern Grind did it to me and their stupid tools break regularly. I love my Bad Monkeys but I'm replacing every proprietary screw with Torx. I've spent $75-$100 on Southern Grind tools now, just sick of it so I'll fix what they should have long ago.

18. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Been that way since the late 70's on cars, I've had vehicles back as far as 1978 that had both metric and SAE. Sucks until you just buy both sets.

19. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

This is an easy problem to solve:

1. Call the Snap-on truck to your house
    2. Give him $30k
    3. Accept the SAE and Metric sets

Done.

koolaidnd and GaryMc like this.
  20. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I'm pretty sure that my Toyota is all metric but I still carry SAE tools. Why? Because people are foolish enough to buy Jeeps.

GaryMc likes this.