To Convex or Not to Convex

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by The General, Feb 21, 2022.

1. The General

The General Member

First off, I absolutely love my ESEE knives. The appreciation I have for the attention to detail in a knife that gets the job done, period, will be forever owed to the original designers of the ESEE 3 and 5 as they allow me to live. And often, allow me to thrive.

I wanted to know your thoughts or experience on convexing your ESEE knives. Any drawbacks to convexing your ESEE knives? And what are you techniques for sharpening a convex knife?

2. Bozho

Bozho Member

I personally don't like convex, as for me it is harder to sharpen properly. I just love my oil stone. Many guys love and use convex blades and edges.

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I like convex edges on my larger blades. I prefer a V edge on most.

Strigidae likes this.
  4. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

mine tend to convex over time anyway bc I strop them regularly. I like a convex edge and find them pretty easy to sharpen and maintain.

D18FFE1E-A3FF-4722-8F8D-CB3551C46AA0.JPG 6E7E2485-2B11-47AE-86CC-A80EE37C5521.JPG E6ECCB9A-AC81-4D8C-8C8C-0D7C594333A0.JPG IMG_9811.JPG 85BFCD5E-8413-44F7-AC0B-EC7046BD1DEA.JPG

5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

6. Bozho

Bozho Member

Forgot to say that all my edges are actually a bit convexed, due to freehand sharpening - it can't be avoided. Still not a big fan of sandpapers, mouse pads etc. I love the result of sharpening on a system with a fixed angle, but think that it can wear out a blade faster than freehand sharpening.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Im pretty sure most of my blades are some multibevel chisel grind convex variation. I free hand as well. Not concerned about much other than does it cut like i want it to.

The Marsh Gorilla, anomad and Bozho like this.
  8. Bozho

Bozho Member

Exactly! Multibevel serrated tanto with wave feature :D

9. anomad

anomad Member

It's definitely fun to experiment with different sharpening techniques, go use the hell out of the knife and come back and try something else or rinse and repeat.

The only thing I intentionally "convex" these are axes and splitting mauls I sharpen with a power sander. Maybe I should coin the phrase DeWalt convex?