Ticks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeek, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

Tick collecting machine... lots of dense fur, short legs keeps him close to the ground and loves to eat deer sh!t. :eek:
    tmp_17814-20170413_071104-386750866.jpg
    Daily ritual... lock him in the kitchen after each walk. The light color gray tile provides good contrast. Frisk him down and drag a tick comb over his body. Ticks get picked up / picked off with tweezers and dropped into a shot glass with 70% isopropyl. Typical morning haul.
    tmp_17814-20170413_0715131458544861.jpg tmp_17814-20170413_0713521790349401.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

I'm lazy I got a seresto collar I just let them die then vacuum them of my bed :eek:

3. Zeek

Zeek Member

Yeah... this guy gets some kind of juice you squirt along his spine once a month (wife's job) and it keeps him protected. His little dog bed is always full of dead ticks. The problem is a lot of the little bastards jump off the dog especially after he first comes back in the house. Then they are all over the place.

Also wondering how others kill these little bastards. They are difficult to squish and that probably isn't a good thing to do as far a spreading whatever diseases they are carrying around. I started out using Vodka, but they crawled around in it a little longer then I liked and that just pissed me off. The 70% isopropyl works quick... any better ideas?

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

I got nothing. The seresto collar kills them in about 5 to ten minutes that's usually about the time it takes to get home from the trails I just give him a good rough pat down when I take him out of the jeep they fall right off. 4 out of 5 don't make into the fur before they die. That squirty shight doesn't work for me

5. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

I was skeptical about the seresto collar at first. $60 bucks for a flea and tick collar sounds expensive but I said fvck it and bought one they work good and last 8 months. 5 months if your dog gets wet on a regular basis by wet I mean swims a lot.

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

WOW! That's crazy.....

7. wilas101

wilas101 Member

I hate ticks because I sport a half dollar sized welt for 2 months after I have one attach itself to me.

8. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Damn that is a bunch of ticks.... only time I saw more in one place was Africa while loading a Kudu Bull into the truck, he was literally crawling with them... !

We get them here, The Minister of War, Fun and Fiance manages tick prevention operations for our two Fur Kids. I am in charge of snake and spider issues.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  10. Zeek

Zeek Member

A lot of ticks... huh, that ain't sh!t. The fall seems to be a little worse. Many times I've picked a dozen or so after a 15 minute walk.

11. ChristopherRC

ChristopherRC Member

We use sentry on the dogs and that works awesome. My neighbor uses a type of talcum powder on his dog and it works really well too

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  12. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I prefer to spray my lawn with all kinds of poisonous chemicals that are deadly to any number of living things, both plants and insects alike.

13. vBlake

vBlake Member

Are you using any kind of path? That's a lot of ticks to mess with daily. I'm sure your mail horse has a path you could use...

14. Zeek

Zeek Member

I stay on a path mostly... the dog not so much. Ticks here are very seasonal with peaks in the spring and fall. I'd say we're near the spring peak and this is the time I may get a dozen or so after one outing. The rest of the year there won't be any... thank goodness.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  15. W.Jester

W.Jester Member

Take a lighter to the ticks. Easy dispatch and sometimes you get a satisfying pop out of them.

16. Squirrel

Squirrel Member

Shot glass with rubbing alcohol in it...:)

The Marsh Gorilla, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  17. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

I say fill the shot glass with scotch and take shot for every tick you find and then just flush them down terlit

18. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

Hey Zeek, I use to work in the lab and tech department of a veterinary hospital. We'd inject the large ones with hydrogen peroxide. Kinda sadistic, but all that blood + peroxide = bad news. I'm sorry for your little fella, tick bites always irritate me for weeks after they heal and I manage to attract my fair share. I'm sure it does the same to some dogs.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Dagwood like this.
  19. Zeek

Zeek Member

Wife hasn't really been checking him too well lately... just picked these two guys off his face. This is what they look like after they dig themselves in a little bit and the dog is treated with Frontline. They swell up a little but I guess die right away. They are easy to pick off.
    tmp_6031-20170418_2040171568522310.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  20. Zeek

Zeek Member

The season is well underway in NEPA. Didn't see a single tick all summer up until Monday when we had our first frost. Now it's crazy... ticks are all over. Here is tonights harvest. I'm sure the little fur factory has more, but this is what I got from a quick rub down after a 10 minute walk.
    2017-10-19 18.52.39.jpg