Theodore's axe facts opinions thoughts and reviews or, for the love of the axe

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Theodore, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Theodore

Theodore Member

Technical difficulty combined with physical exhaustion.

Zeek and Dagwood like this.
  2. AdamF

AdamF Member

I just ordered a 3.5 pound old plumb victory axe head off ebay. Do you know of any paticular brand of replacement handle that will fit it right? I've replaced handles before and always seemed to buy one i had to cut into to Make them work.

Dagwood likes this.
  3. Theodore

Theodore Member

Awesome what pattern did you get? A pattern with ears is easier to hang on a thinner handle as you should either cut the ears in, or thin the ax so the ears fit over the handle. I use beavertooth lately. They are thick, and require a lot of slimming down.
    Some people like an ax to be as far down on the shoulder as possible and that requires a lot of work as well.
    For the best "out of the box fit" just walk into your local hardware store head in hand. That way you get to inspect that the handle is straight. The part of the handle that goes into the eye is straight to the rest of the ax. That you are satisfied with the grain orientation and have not troubling run out. And lastly you can slip the handle partway into the eye and "gauge" how much work it will be to hang it.
    Honestly if you want the best possible handle for the head, you are going to be doing some work.
    Vintage handles can be found unused and used, and are usually quite awesome.

Dagwood and Zeek like this.
  4. AdamF

AdamF Member

Good advice. Thank you. I don't mind doing the work. I assumed before that i must have gotten the wrong handle or something. But I suppose it's whatever is the right length and can keep the head on. I don't have much of a description of what type of axe head it is. Just found one that appeared to be in great condition. The seller didn't seem to know any more than I do as far as axes go. I'll post pictures when it is done. I have a few days before I get it in the mail.

Theodore, Dagwood and Zeek like this.
  5. Theodore

Theodore Member

Cool.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Theodore

Theodore Member

Another swing at the pack ax full size idea. Not my favorite axe head,(Collins homestead Dayton) on a handle I had laying around I was not planning on using due to Heartwood and grain orientation, runnout. 30 and a half inches in total. I'm sure it would make an ok truck ax for behind the seat. I will strap it on a pack and try it out later on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Zeek, Dagwood and Strigidae like this.
  7. AdamF

AdamF Member

Looks like a nice axe to me susan

8. Theodore

Theodore Member

Lol. Thanks. I'm sure it will fill a role.

Dagwood, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Epic.

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  10. Theodore

Theodore Member

11. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Even more epic.

Dagwood, Theodore and Zeek like this.
  12. Theodore

Theodore Member

This is a True Temper Red Warrior Michigan three and a half pounds on a modern True temper handle. Thirty five and a quarter inches total. Shaving sharp with just two files and the same round thin puck stone I carry around when I have my Izula 2 on me. It was sharpened flat like a chisel when I got it. I convexed it and took most of that out. You can see a little spot or two. It will work out in time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AdamF, Zeek, Strigidae and 1 other person like this.
  13. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

She's a beaut, she is.

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  14. Theodore

Theodore Member

Thank you. This one is going to be a gift to a member of my family.

15. Theodore

Theodore Member

Adding a coat of BLO on a warm summer day. These are a few that I worked on, or with over the winter. The rest are off handle or scattered about various places. My buddies basement seems to be collecting quite a pile of my axes. His proximity to the woodlot should be why, but I think it is a different reason;)
    [​IMG]
    Left to right. 4lb Kelly Perfect Jersey on original handle. 3.5 lb plumb. 4lb Plumb pitted with phantom bevels, my favorite splitter. Council Tool 3.5lb Classic Jersey. Plumb Victory Michigan 3.5lbs. 3.5lbs True Temper Red Warrior Michigan. 3.5lbs Clear cut George Worthington double bit. Collins Homestead Dayton 3.5 lbs. Craftsman boys ax. Wetterlings Hudson Bay.

Dagwood, Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  16. Zeek

Zeek Member

@Theodore , are you familiar with any of the Helko axes?

I was looking at their Vario 2000 screw system... looks kind of gimmicky but seems to be from a decent manufacturer and I've seen good reviews. I don't think it's for me though, just curious about your opinion.

Also looking at the The Pro Series Lucas Log Splitter as my boy has been wanting to split stuff recently. o_O

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Dagwood and Theodore like this.
  17. Theodore

Theodore Member

The tazmanian work ax is on my list to purchase. I have not tried the vario 2000 system. I am pretty satisfied with axes for most of my splitting. I do like the wedge forward of the handle design. If I remember that is a Scandinavian thing. Most of the "systems" and artificial handles make the balance all wonkie. Stihl axes are a good example of that.
    I learned with a heavy splitting maul. My old man left a mountain of wood, a splitting block and a maul. He said here split this. My grandfather tough me ax safety.
    (People seem to love the friscars maul with the wedge forward design)

18. Theodore

Theodore Member

I can't use that damn flat cheeked Collins, it drives me nuts.

Fulton Michigan three and a half pounder. On a 30 and 3\4 inch handle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zeek, The Warrior and Dagwood like this.
  19. Theodore

Theodore Member

So some things are coming together. First off one of my "Grail" axes is on it's way! I WILL be doing a step by step of the clean up, the hang, and the re profiling and sharpening. I am excited!

Second, I found a source for some inexpensive 8×8s. So it is on with the comparison.

Third, I have "thinned the herd" a little to pay for some more Grail axes.

Zeek, Dagwood and Strigidae like this.
  20. Theodore

Theodore Member

For anyone buying ax heads online I have noticed an uptick in heads for sale with defects. As the "yard sale" season swings into full gear lots of heads are becoming available. I have noticed sellers who have the skill and sell axes hung are also selling damaged heads not hung. I have also noticed a lot of the unhung heads are damaged in the eye or in other important areas. These experienced sellers are not making note of this and is trying to pass them off without mentioning the damage. I recommend new buyers or those with minimal experience ask someone they trust before they purchase. I would also be willing to give it a look if you know no one. This is just slimy bs.

Zeek and Dagwood like this.