The official cartridge of Expat® Knives

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Dec 10, 2017.

1. IW17

IW17 Member

They've gotten very popular around here. I hunt with half a dozen guys using a 450 bolt or single shot. Cva has the market in my opinion. $250 for a break action, single shot. It's basically (actually) a Cva muzzle loader with a 450 barrel. Nothing fancy, no expensive new tech. They just repurposed their old smoke guns. And people are lining up for them. I'm considering one, but seeing as how it's a one week a year rifle, it's hard for me to get motivated.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  2. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

That's cool, I didn't realize CVA was chambering it! That's how I was when Louisiana and Mississippi started allowing us to use single shots .35" and larger during muzzleloader season, just kept rolling along with my .50 cal Hawken cap-lock. Ate my ole man up so much he got me a H&R Handirifle in 45/70 3 years into the regs changing. I love that little 45/70 now after starting to hunt some public land where that's the only rifles allowed.

IW17 likes this.
  3. ASH

ASH Member

I like calibers that are cheap to shoot. My dad gave me a .270 a year or two ago and I still haven't shot the thing. This year he gave me the choice of a .243 or .308, I went with the .308. It kind of irritates me because if I wanted to buy ammo in those calibers than I would already freaking have one.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Zeek likes this.
  5. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Old school vs flavor of the month. I like it.

6. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I thought you would lol!

I most certainly do as well!!! I also like the ease of repurposing spent 30-06 brass just by running through a 25-06 die.

Zeek likes this.
  7. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Comments from the Devils Advocate regrading the article.

Caveat, I have had only one 25-06 in my life, which I quickly traded. That is I traded the action after removing the barrel. It had a been shot out about 3 inches in front of the chamber. It would only shoot a 4” group.

There is a lack of good bullets for the 257 caliber.
    If you take it shooting prairie dogs and get excited you are going to burn it out.
    Necking down 30-06 hulls can work but you are likely going to have to turn the necks as they will be too thick. I had thick necks going from a .308 to a 7mm-08
    It does get a hell of a lot more velocity than the current darling 6.5. The 6.5 was designed as a target cartridge of which it is great and perfectly capable of killing anything within the distance we should limit ourselves too other than varmints. If you tend to shoot 4o to 60 rounds at a sitting at targets, you will have a shorter barrel life. This is not that big of a deal.

I did not know it was unpopular! I have lived in all the Southwestern states and it IS still prevelant in those areas. I have two nephews that have them.
    I would not call it obscure.

Do not get me wrong. I like obscure and currently lusting after a 9.3x74R double rifle from France.

8. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

This is also true with vehicles.

9. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I grew up next door to a Conservation Officer here in Michigan. His kids told me that the .22 magnum was the most popular violating gun. Shine the light, eyes reflect giving you a target to shoot, pull the trigger and you have venison for dinner. Pretty quiet round compared to most centerfire cartridges, and the deer drops where they stand when you brain shoot them.

The Marsh Gorilla and STPNWLF like this.