The Mud heads East (photo heavy)

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Mudman, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Mudman

Mudman Member

I like it, but still not 100% on it. I'd like to do more trips before I give an honest opinion. The Mors pot has been with me on 95% of the trips I've ever done. So I know it well. But as a companion to the Mors pot, I do agree it's good. Saves me from bringing the smaller Mors pot or MSR Titan along.

haha jcl_md wanted me to stop by as well. Next time man, I intend to travel more next year. We should plan a Canoe trip.

2. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Good stuff Mud! Looks like the food and company was great! That skull belongs to a bobcat by the way, minus the canines....

Mudman likes this.
  3. Mudman

Mudman Member

Thanks sir! Didn't know they had bobcats out in AL

4. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Lots of bobcats here. I've seen them up to 25-30lbs!

5. santacruz

santacruz Member

Guksa!?! Mud, you funny guy. Good stuff. Nice to see a Californian willing to make the trip to the farm. Again and again.

6. Mudman

Mudman Member

California blows.. all the fun happens out east. haha

Holy crap that's scary! I wouldn't want to run into any size bobcat.

7. Stewart

Stewart Member

Great pics Mud, quick question whats the blade length on your skookum? yours looks bigger than mine haha

8. Mudman

Mudman Member

Thanks, it could be the photo itself. Blade is a hair over 4''. Maybe Rod changed something over the years? I ordered mine about 3.5 years prior to it being delivered.

9. Stewart

Stewart Member

I think so, mine comes in at 3.7 inch, Rod has done well for himself as a maker, I like my skookum. Are you happy with yours?

10. Mudman

Mudman Member

I love it. Haven't been able to use it as much as I want though, things have been hectic at home for a while. It's slowly (very) settling down, so I'm able to get out a bit more, albeit not much. As a beginning knife maker, I myself can't think of anything that could be improved on it. Overall design is impeccable. Fit and finish on the other hand is not the best I've seen, but design wise I'd say it is for my purpose.

11. Stewart

Stewart Member

I wish you the best in the New year getting out and about!

on My example I would describe the finish as unrefined, no gaps, clean grind just not imaculate like some knives I have seen. I actually dont mind it and strangly enough my other favourite custom is finished the same way. For a wood craft knife Its the only one to kick the mora companion so far.

I enjoyed Mors Book alot great bit of history behind the SBT

12. Mudman

Mudman Member

Thanks

Oh I didn't mean it as a negative thing. I use my knives, so a pretty finish only last a few minutes. Just mentioned it for those expecting better. To me it's a no nonsense finish, extremely sharp and made to work. No glitter here on this knife.
    I thoroughly love mines. No regrets whatsoever. I was just commenting on the fit and finish- compared to others.

Great book indeed, mines has been read and referenced many times. Even has coffee stains on it. lol

13. Stewart

Stewart Member

Oh I didn't mean it as a negative thing. I use my knives, so a pretty finish only last a few minutes. Just mentioned it for those expecting better. To me it's a no nonsense finish, extremely sharp and made to work. No glitter here on this knife.
    I thoroughly love mines. No regrets whatsoever. I was just commenting on the fit and finish- compared to others.

Great book indeed, mines has been read and referenced many times. Even has coffee stains on it. lol[/QUOTE]

I gathered as Much Bro!

You should make an MBT based on your ideas from the book, that would be cool!

I live In NZ and even though my country is different to the North woods alot of the principles and techniques can be adapted and aplied here. Im sure itd the same in heaps of countries!

14. Mudman

Mudman Member

It's already drawn out, I did a sketch several years ago. Just haven't had the chance to make it. I'm focusing what little knife making time I have to orders right now. But there will be several knives coming out when I'm caught up I assure you. About 30 different sketches to be exact.

15. Stewart

Stewart Member

I will keep my eye on you Bro! always enough room for another Bushtool!