The DA/SA Thread

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Hammer, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Hammer

Hammer Member

Interesting experience at the range yesterday:

A buddy I shoot with pretty frequently, and who is a good shooter, brought his Sig P226 Legion SAO to the range yesterday. I brought my slightly modified CZ SP-01 Tac.

He asked if he could try my CZ. He shot a few rounds with it, and I could hear him muttering. He put a fresh target up with two 10" circles right next to each other. He shot 10 rounds into one of the circles with his Sig and then 10 rounds into the other circle with the CZ. The difference in groups was noticeable, even from where I was standing. "Holy ****," I heard him say.

"Ok, I need to do this again, so I know it's not a fluke." He set up the same situation again with fresh targets. If anything, the CZ group on his 2nd round was even tighter. And keep in mind this was a gun he had never shot before, versus his Sig that he's been shooting regularly for months. "Dammit, I'm shooting better with a gun that cost half as much."

On the drive home he had already decided he's trading in his Sig and he's in the market for a CZ Shadow II now...:D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  2. Hammer

Hammer Member

The radically curved stock trigger on the SP-01 was not my friend. So I swapped it out for this trigger from Cajun Gun Works, combined with a reduced trigger spring. Along with the other upgrades, it's now at a sweet 7 lb DA trigger pull and 3-1/2 lbs. SA. This trigger also has an over-travel adjustment on it. In addition to lightening the trigger weight, the take-up is minimized and it has a very clean, crisp break. Loving this gun...

[​IMG]

3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like an AR. Lots of lego like options out there.

4. Hammer

Hammer Member

Yup. Most CZs don't seem to stay fully stock for long. Not because they aren't totally fine and shootable right out of the box, but because they are (generally) pretty easy to work on and modify. And the competition community in particular has really driven the development of a lot of after-market parts for fine-tuning.

5. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

I used to have a SP-01, it’s now my wife’s. It was a bit rough at first, but it has really smoothed out nicely. It’s a fine shooter that is ergonomically “just right.” I really like the low barrel axis also. As of now, it’s completely stock.
    4798602F-84A3-4719-8363-B7E39BED4712.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Zeek, Strigidae, Hammer and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hammer

Hammer Member

Yeah, they do smooth out significantly over time. I put 1,000+ rounds through mine before deciding to change anything on it for just that reason.

The ergos are the best I've ever felt on any pistol, hands down. It feels like a custom gun and points so naturally for me that I'm considering trading in my Sig P226 as I just can't see why I would shoot it anymore. I'm way more accurate with the CZ.

7. Hammer

Hammer Member

Good tips:

jdh, Te-yang, olywa and 3 others like this.
  8. Hammer

Hammer Member

Dear P225,

I'm sorry. I was lured by newer, lighter offerings. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. Just know that I've come back to you, that I never should have left and that I appreciate your finer traits all the more.

Steadfastly yours,

- Hammer

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Strigidae, jdh, olywa and 2 others like this.