The DA/SA Thread

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Hammer, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Hammer

Hammer Member

While I love my P229, I find it a bit heavy and chunky for all day long AIWB carry. So I've been on the search for a compact DA/SA that is lighter, maybe just a little smaller/trimmer and with a more concealed carry-friendly profile. I also wanted controls that are as similar to my Sigs as possible - side mounted decocker only. Of course, that quickly leads to a pretty short list of options.

I handled the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact and while it has a lot going for it, I didn't like the slide-mounted safety/decocker at all. The H&K USP Compact is very nice, but different controls than I wanted. The FN FNS-9 Compact was also nice, but just didn't click for me. That left me with the one I was most curious to try - CZ P-07. The CZ ticked all the boxes for me - 1/2 lb lighter than my P229, very similar controls, and with much more rounded and beveled edges all around. I think this gun is a steal for the price, esp. given that it comes with 3 interchangeable backstraps, 2 bumper mag baseplates, the ability (and parts) to switch from decocker to manual safety, in addition to a bore brush, cleaning rod and all the standard stuff for well under $500 if you hunt around.

So, I had a few things gathering dust in the gun closet, and since I'm not a fan of having guns that don't get regular usage, it was out with the old and in with the CZ P-07...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    The Marsh Gorilla, olywa and Zeek like this.
  2. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Sig P239 didn't do it for you? They are alittle dated when it comes to capacity to size ratio but I think they make up for that with their shootability imo. And you can find them with very little use relativly cheap. Either way I like the CZ and hope to hear more about it, I don't own any of their pistols, seriously considerd a rami before I found my p239.

3. Hammer

Hammer Member

Yeah, as you can probably tell from this thread, I'm a bit of a Sig fan. And I forgot to mention above that I also checked out a Sig P225 and a P2022. The P2022 was nixed from the list because it's basically the same size as the P229 I already have and only a few ounces lighter, despite the polymer frame. The P225 and the P239 are both classic carry guns for sure, but didn't meet my criteria for two main reasons - 1) Capacity. I can have almost twice the capacity in the P-07 and, 2) while it's not as critical since I mainly intend this gun for IWB carry and don't typically run a WML when doing so, I did still want to have a rail option for the odd times I may want to run a light on this gun.

And, if I'm being totally honest, I just wanted to try something different and have been curious about CZ's for a while. But I do think that something comparable to the P-07 in size (or even smaller?), weight, capacity and action is currently a notable gap in Sig's lineup. I have to believe they must have something along these lines in the works, given how many loyal DA/SA fans Sig has, but who would like a few more modern advantages.

I'll post some updates after I've run it for a while....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Zeek likes this.
  4. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I agree on the absence of in their lineup of a compact DA/SA it really seems to me they are putting alot of time into the 320s, just picked up one which also happens to be my first non sig classic line semi auto, I like it but I miss the peace of mind the double action gives me when reholstering. Always amazed me the p224s didn't take off more...

5. Hammer

Hammer Member

Agreed.

6. Hammer

Hammer Member

Put the first 200 rounds through the P-07 today. Can't find a single thing not to like about this gun. May swap out the front sight at some point for something with more contrast, but no need to mess with anything else. It's a great shooting gun, and the lower slide height/bore axis is pretty noticeable.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    olywa, Zeek and Backwoods Runner like this.
  7. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I've been going back and forth the past couple months on what handgun I want to purchase, the more I look the more I keep coming back to the cz p01 and sig 2022. Unfortunately I can't find the CZ anywhere so by default I think I'm going with the sig. Was hoping anyone here would have any input on it? All the reviews I've found seem to be pretty favorable but I always tend to trust the opinions on here a little more than most reviews.

8. Hammer

Hammer Member

If you're looking for a polymer compact DA/SA, I think the Sig is one of the best options out there. At street prices, it's pretty hard to beat, since you're getting a really nice out-of-the-box trigger and the excellent Sig night sights. Have you shot other Sig classic line pistols before? If you like the way Sig controls are set up and they work for you, I'd say go for it. I've seen very few negative comments about the 2022 and many say it's one of the best 'sleepers' in the Sig line-up.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Spikebot587 likes this.
  9. Hammer

Hammer Member

If you're considering a polymer DA/SA like the 2022, what about the CZ P-07 or P09? Or can you not find those locally either?

Zeek likes this.
  10. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I've never actually fired anything from sig before, in fact the only non revolver hamdguns I have any experience with are 1911s and my dads ruger MK II. But I've held the 2022 and a couple 229's at my LGS and gun shows and really like the placement of the controls on the sig compared to many of the others I've held. I originally didnt want a polymer framed handgun. Not for any real reason other than I wanted to be able to customize the grips, but realized that probably wasnt a good enough reason for me to spend an extra $400 on a 229 of the 2022 worked just as well

Hammer likes this.
  11. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I've looked at the p09 a couple times, but for whatever reason it never really did it for me. I might have to give it another look next time I stop by the gun case though

Hammer likes this.
  12. Bobo03

Bobo03 Member

Wow. You may have just help me spend some money.

Is it just DA/SA with a de cocker or does it also have a safety? I’m not too familiar with Beretta. Thanks.

Hammer likes this.
  13. Hammer

Hammer Member

I believe this version is decocker-only, but can be converted to a safety if that's your jam. More info here: https://www.langdontactical.com/92-elite-ltt/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  14. Hammer

Hammer Member

The CZ P-07 passed my short-term reliability test with flying colors - 500 mixed rounds through it without a cleaning and without a single issue.

[​IMG]

Strigidae, jdh, olywa and 1 other person like this.
  15. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

20181216_131633.jpg
    Beretta 21a .22lr, mostly a range toy but as a I run more rounds through it my confidence in it is increasing, it really likes cci velociters and I can keep them in a fist size group at 7 yards shooting fast. Lots of wild dogs around my area, this will drop into a pocket so easy if I'm just around the yard and don't want to lug one of my Sigs around with me. I think in most cases a warning shot would keep one of these dogs away. I really like dogs, even the wild ones, I think many have been abused or abandoned and simply reverted to their survival instincts, but if I had to shoot one I think a 40 grain velociter to the face/head is gonna make it think really hard about what it is doing and give me a chance to get to the 12 gauge.

16. olywa

olywa Member

I've always wanted one of those little Berettas. I wonder how the new US-made ones compare to the older Italian-made models?

Backwoods Runner likes this.
  17. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

This is US made, machine work is pretty rough on the out side but where it matters on the inside it is very nice. I found this one for 240 bucks and it looks like it had maybe a magazine through it. My understanding is these take quite the break in period and then they are reliable. For a range toy or camp pinker I think they are awesome and if I found a decent one in a gun store in the 250 dollars I'd go for it. Even if it intialy has issues feeding/ejecting run a couple hundred rounds through occasionally boresnaking it and see if it gets better. I'm guessing alot of these got dumped when high quality .22 was hard to find, but given I just bought 500 rounds of Aguila high velocity for 25 bucks (which this gun likes, have to double strike a round every couple mags, DA/SA helps that though) I'm thinking those days are over. I plink with the Aguila and carry velociters in it.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  18. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

20181216_135903.jpg 20181216_135915.jpg
    Velociter expansion at 7 yards in my ultra scientific ballistic testing media of a milk jug full of water infront of a pine log, 2.5 inches of penetration into the pine.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  19. olywa

olywa Member

That's pretty impressive from such a short barrel. I carry those Velociters in my 3" LCRx. Rolls the bunnies over nicely (when I can hit 'em).

Backwoods Runner and Zeek like this.
  20. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Yeah, I have to dig my chronograph out and get some actual numbers on them. I had one of the .22 wmr 3 in lcrxs I liked it but I just couldn't get used to the heavy DA trigger pull and I got a good trade offer so off it went.