The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Packrat

Packrat Member

Awesome trip there Bushman!Thanks for letting us in on it also.How does your new harness carry the load?
    Safe travels my friend....

Bushman5 likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

No idea yet......still setting it up (The JAYJAYBRECONUK Patrol Yoke) . The current SORD-AUS yoke though is very well made and very comfortable.

Zeek likes this.
  3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

I am probably in the early stages of LGS. The doctor want tell me I am 100% because I don't have enough
    symptoms. I am still working , but my speech has been going down hill for about a year now.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

sorry to hear about this Brother......

not sure how i can help but feel free to get a hold of me anytime.

5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

My PM box is there as well myfreind.

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

May 19/2019, mixed sun/clouds, 20 Deg Celsius, "The Full Synthetic Oil Change, Sea To Sky Hwy Drive, Drive Up BrandyWine Forest Service Road, Hike To The Top And Spook Two ATV'ers Tour"

Spent 20 minutes draining out the old syn oil, and refilling with fresh Redline 5W40 Full Synthetic and a new oil filter. Good for another 50,000 KM's with filter changes every 7 - 9000kms, plus top up.

IMG_5832.JPG

ripped up the Sea2Sky Hwy..........music for the winding ocean side road was:

got North of Squamish and Cheakamus region.....

Black Tusk mountain across the valley

IMG_5900.JPG

Driving up the Brandywine FSR, to about 750 meters where I stopped. Massive jagged peak across another valley.

IMG_5902.JPG
    loaded up with the new JayJayBreconUK Patrol Yoke plus essentials, like bear spray for seasoning my lunch and a broken butter knife held in by a rubber band :D
    IMG_5909.JPG
    after texting my location stats to @Reno Lewis, I walked up the old logging road. Slight breeze kept me fairly comfortable and the bugs away....(i had forgotten the bug dope)
    IMG_5929.JPG
    dense thick massive forests. This side was logged decades ago and replanted heavily.
    IMG_5930.JPG
    there is literally no getting thru these woods, they are so thick.
    IMG_5933.JPG
    gear shot. Bear spray and extra bear bangers and screamers in a PR radio/battery pouch
    IMG_5934.JPG
    right side an extensive GSW/Bleed kit, TQ, plus boo boo stuff, packed into a Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit Now! pouch. Small SORD pouch beside it holds the signal strobe. Esee Imlay in the molle grid. The sharp toy on the webbing belt is the Bark River Vehement Knives MACVSOG tribute knife. Screaming sharp and stabby.
    IMG_5944.JPG
    already running into bear scat.
    IMG_5954.JPG
    clouds rolling in, but not for long.
    IMG_5955.JPG
    super steep old logging road.
    IMG_5961.JPG

water source. Lots of little creeks along this route though, all year round (know thy area well) IMG_5964.JPG
    looking across the valley to the other side, just starting to get logged
    IMG_5967.JPG
    looking up at the still snow covered peaks and high UV index sky
    IMG_5969.JPG

still snow on my route lower down. IMG_5971.JPG

I was soaking the mesh scarf in this ice cold stream when i heard a couple ATV's riding up the FSR spur. I walked out onto the spur and waved, scared the crap out them two rides as i walked across the spur road and into the forest and disappeared. :D IMG_5977.JPG

skunk cabbage blooming IMG_5981.JPG
    at the 860 meter mark now, huge veins of cliffs and fallen boulders started to do the landscape
    IMG_5983.JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Switchblade, BigJake, jdh and 8 others like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

more report details loading

IMG_5986.JPG IMG_5990.JPG IMG_5991.JPG IMG_5994.JPG IMG_5997.JPG IMG_6006.JPG IMG_6011.JPG IMG_6012.JPG IMG_6021.JPG IMG_6022.JPG

8. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Annnnd I'm in Homer Simpson- gahhhhhh mode again. :) where's your hat?

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Bush-Wick-A

IMG_5928.JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Switchblade, Datilite, Zeek and 4 others like this.
  10. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

another good one there Bushy. Do you ever see any grouse in your travels?

Bushman5 likes this.
  11. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Can't speak for Bushy, but I actually just encountered a fairly large grouse on my hike a few days ago. First one I've seen around here.

Hawkeye5 and Bushman5 like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Mostly small ones. Cornish hen sized. Never seen a big grouse like some of you hunt .

Hawkeye5 and Reno Lewis like this.
  13. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

We don't have any Grouse here in East Texas. Thought you might have some up there.

Bushman5 likes this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

these are all i see up here.........

IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0130.JPG

15. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

That is really cool Bushy. Cool looking birds. The guys on another forum hunt them in Idaho and Alaska. Thanks for the pictures.

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

that pair of Ruffed Grouse was from my Cypress Mountain hike awhile back.

I literally could grabbed them by the necks and stuffed them into a webbing pouch. Dumb stupid birds have no clue. :D

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Zeek, anrkst6973 and Hawkeye5 like this.
  17. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Awesome trip reports as always brother.

You are always up in some nice country.

Bushman5 likes this.
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

DOOOOOD! your the one with amazing lakes and fishing! Ya i'm jealous of your trips!

post up the recent pics Brother-7!

Se7eN likes this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

May 26, 2019, Sunny, Simpson's Clouds, 26 deg C, "The Drive Up Insane Steep FSR's, Reach The Skookum Creek Penstock Dam, Load Test The Webbing, Hike Up A Steep Old Road, Haze A Bear & An Unknown Animal Tour"

Woke up early at 0730 or so to this lovable goofy cat just staring at me.

IMG_6117.JPG

fell back asleep and woke up an hour later, to the same lovable goofy cat just staring at me........LOL

IMG_6112.JPG

fueled up with leftover cheese filled pasta and italian coffee and hit the Hwy.

Drove up the Mamquam FSR today, following my buddy in his Crew Crummy truck for a bit. Way too many cars parked on the FSR, way too many people on the road. (Some event going on - but this is an active haul industrial road 24/7). Buddy had enough of idiots on the FSR, so he flipped on his Whelen sirens and lights (Crew Crummy/Industrial off highway ambulance) and I followed suit with my rooftop ambers. Parting the Idiot Sea, we flew down the road for about 5 km, before we got clear of the chaos. He left up another road and I carried on. Boy are those people going to be surprised when a 100,000 Lb off highway logging truck comes down the FSR with a full load.........his trucks take up 10' wide of road.

On And up.....18 KM in so far. Letting the truck cool down after an insane long steep sustained climb in first gear. The RedLine 5W40 full syn oil was working hard and my temps barely budged, but i like to do a cool down every 5km or so.

IMG_6125.JPG

while letting the truck idle down, I took a pic of the CR2.5 , I quite like this little blade. The sheath is ok, but the balde is quite the little EDC scalpel.

IMG_6130.JPG

carrying on and up. And up. And up
    IMG_6134.JPG

nice long 1000' drop down the embankment and over the edge way down to the valley floor.
    IMG_6133.JPG

just a few of the still snow covered mountains around me.
    IMG_6135.JPG IMG_6136.JPG IMG_6137.JPG IMG_6149.JPG

relatively fresh (last 6 months or so) rock/debris slide on the lava flow (comes from Pemberton all the way down to Squamish, about 200 km long, ranging from 2km to 5km wide x 500 - 1500 meters DEEP IMG_6151.JPG
    same lave flow
    IMG_6152.JPG

water pipeline below the trunk line IMG_6153.JPG

getting
    steep again. IMG_6154.JPG

almost 1500 feet drop. narrow road at this point. Makes you pucker real tight IMG_6156.JPG
    the massive lava flow
    IMG_6157.JPG

stopped at the watering hole to restock the canteens. Nothing like glacier melt ice that flows thru several dozen KM's of deep moss. I LOVE these SADF 2L canteens.....HOWEVER.......there is a huge weight penalty when you fill both of them and put them on your webbing.....4 Liters of water = 9lbs. For some arid areas , I will use these......but mostly I use my 1Liter Nalgene canteens

IMG_6159.JPG

lave flow to the left. You can barely see an old logging FSR on the top. To the right is a air vent J tube for the water pipeline. IMG_6160.JPG

fug me......you are basically dead of you go off this road or it collapses. IMG_6161.JPG
    the massive water pipe line that feeds the turbines 10+ km away and 2000 or so feet down
    IMG_6162.JPG

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Switchblade, Zeek, Datilite and 8 others like this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

more loading! gotta keep up with Bro @Se7eN :D will get the rest up Monday!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Strigidae and Se7eN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.