The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

N
    Noted

Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  2. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Zeek, The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

thanks for the ID.....thats EXACTLY what it was doing. It also surfed the small rapids......

4. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

They are definitely good lunch time entertainment on the trail!

Bushman5 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Man Bushy, I’ve been going back in time through your posts and you have had some absolutely epic trips. Your content is excellent, as usual.

Love this stuff. Keep it comin brother!

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

April 7,2019, Sunny, Rain, Cool, "The Post Flu, Get The Hell Out Of The House, Scout Fishing Spots On The Mamquam River, Grill Some Chorizo, Bushwack Thru The Wet Forest Tour"

FINALLY! been down with the flu and too bagged from work to get out for Church Of The Woods.

Late start today, PipSqueak was being uber cuddly and crawled under the blanket and was all long cat along side of me. Couldn't pass up kitty snuggles (and warmth). Finally had to get up, hit the shower and made strong coffee.

into the truck with the L.R.R.P.R. Heavy Woods Recon (packed extra clothes and poncho, due to the weather systems)

ripped up the Sea To Sky, noting the other motorists flashing their hi beams.....RCMP had speed traps all up and down the Sky Hwy. . Kept the speed exactly at the limit and breezed thru the traps. Others were not so lucky.........

Turned off onto the Mamquam FSR main trunkline and kept driving up the road.

headed all the way up the trunkline until KM 20 where there was active logging and the road was closed.

log grapple, with extend-able arm (like 30' )
    IMG_4951.JPG

winter tree fall (snow loaded trees falling into the road) cleared by the 30 ton grader with chain flail. Imagine a spinning wheel with multiple 10' long x 1" thick Grade 100 chains, spinning at 2500 RPM......... IMG_4954.JPG IMG_4955.JPG

turned around, found a pullout by the river and stopped for a grill up of Chorizo for lunch. (it was already around 1500 hours)

IMG_4957.JPG IMG_4960.JPG

Esee 6 and the Esee Advanced FireSteel with extension tube fired up the charcoal in the SIEGE STOVE IMG_4961.JPG
    finally some proper Chorizo! smoky, spicy, lots of paprika
    IMG_4963.JPG

the venerable Esee 6, well patina'ed IMG_4965.JPG

Chorizo on the grill IMG_4966.JPG

the dripping fat flared up flames a lot....I should have brought some foil to make a drip tray to prevent this. Either way the chorizo was delicious. I made two chorizo , sharp cheddar and cheese bun sammiches and had extra chorizo to nom on (or as Brother @Se7eN says....SMASH!) IMG_4970.JPG

finished up lunch, paying very close attention for bears.....(in the heart of Squamish's black, brown and grizzly territory and i smell like meat.........)

headed out, the rain POURING down. IMG_4990.JPG

stopped at one of many kayak put ins. There is also a single campsite here. IMG_4991.JPG IMG_4992.JPG IMG_4994.JPG IMG_4995.JPG IMG_4998.JPG

Drove all the way back down the FSR to the lower section.

Chris Reeves Nyala on my neck.
    IMG_5001.JPG

reflective shot in the pouring rain,off the truck window IMG_5011.JPG

jdh, Datilite, Switchblade and 11 others like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Part Two, "Try To Access The Cave By The River, By Bushwacking Thru The Woods"

I love caves.......I've been know to explore old mines solo just because i love caves and adits so much. A few weeks back I spotted this massive boulder forming an entrance to a very small cave. Had to check it out.

[​IMG]

Parked the rig by the gate near the river and headed out. It was pissing rain so out came the cadpat poncho. Slogged up the access road, feeling the heat/humidity. Some jogger passed me and was like "WTF?" .

that time of year....everything is bursting with new growth
    IMG_5012.JPG

on the access bridge, looking up at the deep pools. IMG_5013.JPG IMG_5017.JPG

under the powerlines clearing IMG_5021.JPG

removing the poncho, I entered the lush wet forest. Found a fresh cougar scratching post tree
    IMG_5022.JPG
    IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG IMG_5029.JPG IMG_5030.JPG IMG_5031.JPG

couldn't quite get to the boulder that made the cave.......the terrain was too steep and I felt not like slipping on wet moss and falling 30' and cracking my skull open. So i will just have to raft across the river from the other side soon.

IMG_5033.JPG IMG_5035.JPG IMG_5038.JPG

Stopped to pay tribute to a young man who's life ended too soon.
    IMG_5063.JPG

thats it......felt good to ruck up with a heavy load out and go out in the pissing rain again.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    jdh, Datilite, Switchblade and 11 others like this.
  8. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Wicked!!! Keep it coming brother!

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  9. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

4 th picture from the bottom up... the kayak launch point... there be fish in that river!

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

OH YEAH BROTHER!

The Marsh Gorilla and Se7eN like this.
  11. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

2nd'd. and. ... What happened to Daniel?

12. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Your pictures are super clear! New camera?? Or is it a filter? The river shots kill me!

13. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

Yeah I’m sure bushy will explain. Likely a canoe or swimming accident

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Iphone 7 and Google Photos post edit

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

not sure......might have been a suicide off the bridge, or a swimming accident from height.........todays the first time i came across that memorial on the bridge.

EDIT: found the info.......bunch of youth were jumping from the bridge into the canyon below and two died after getting into distress in the rapid currents

https://www.squamishchief.com/news/local-news/two-men-drown-in-separate-mishaps-1.1052395

Daniel Rezmer - bio

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  16. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

That’s kind of what

I figured it was something like that. Seems fun at the time until things go south...

17. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Glad you got over the flu and good to see the Esee 6 and Fire steel. I just got a Fire Box stove and been playing with it.
    Nice pictures!

18. Hammer

Hammer Member

Great documentation of your outings as usual, Bushie. Seriously jealous of the lack of snow in your pics! It's still going to be quite a while before I'm hiking on dirt around here...

19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

April 14/2019, overcast, rainy, sleet, cold, "The Mamquam & Raffuse Creek, Lucille Lake Fishing Tour"

Late start due to brutal rain locally this morning. Finally cleared up around noon. Gear into the truck, and then sit in hellish rush hour traffic (on a Sunday). This was due to one of two only bridges from Vancouver to the North Shore being closed for the annual Sun Run. Finally got past the traffic jam and got up to Squamish. Had to fill up the tank on the way.....$1.69 a liter. Only put $50 in because I knew it would cheaper outside of the TAX ZONE that is Metro Vancouver (often 10 - 20 cents cheaper outside the city limits).

Drove straight up to the first Raffuse Creek Recreational Campsite and hit the water.

HDR gear shot, L.R.R.P.R. Heavy Recon rig, Berkley ultralight spinning rig, classic Aussie Alvey tackle box. Rain poncho because it was going to piss rain even more up here.......
    IMG_5128.JPG

new buds IMG_5131.JPG
    toasty warm and geared up./
    IMG_5132.JPG
    only about 3 to 4 feet deep
    IMG_5134.JPG IMG_5136.JPG IMG_5138.JPG

nothing at the lower end, walked up to the next pool, about 4- 7 feet deep, lots of slow current pullouts for the fish. Nada bite...too damn cold here still IMG_5141.JPG

moved up to KM 20 or so at the Kayak put in site (see last report) Pissing rain now. IMG_5142.JPG

super deep here, with slow current areas on the sides. Cast flies and spoons and spinners for an hour. Nada bite, too damn cold .
    IMG_5147.JPG

quick hi energy snack before heading back out the FSR and up to the Cheakamus area of Whistler IMG_5148.JPG

sleet started pounding down, along with rain. IMG_5149.JPG

glad I had a well greased (Huberd's and Sno-Seal mix) leather hat IMG_5154.JPG

jdh, Datilite, BigJake and 6 others like this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Headed up Chance Main FSR, to the basalt quarry main entrance. Pulled the truck off the road and parked it in a little pullout. There is an old road that heads down to the lake, my BushTracker 4x4 would make it with ease, but the local Police and CO's would shoot you on site for driving a motorized vehicle down there.....so I just walked it.

HDR / heavy colorized macro of an alder bud, glistening with rain. IMG_5163.JPG

the old road, its steeper than it looks IMG_5164.JPG

down on the flats. IMG_5168.JPG

there used to be a big Lodge and multiple cabins all around this lake and also nearby in the now extinct / non existent town of Garibaldi.

After the geotechnical assessment in the 1980's of The Barrier, the government evacuated , relocated and bought out the landowners (for pennies on the dollar to boot) and BC HYDRO soaked all the buildings with kerosene and burned them down to pure ash. The area is now "uninhabitable and use at own risk" due to the risk to life safety if The Barrier ever lets go (everything below The Barrier , all the way south past Squamish, will be washed out, including a tidal wave all the way to vancouver Island. . ).

QOUTE: “The lava barrier is an unstable dam for this big lake in the mountains above a town,” he said. “The potential energy at 1,400 metres elevation, of 1 trillion litres of water, is 200 times the energy released by the bomb on Hiroshima.”

QOUTE
    “If the barrier were to explode or fall apart in an earthquake, the wave that would be produced by all that water flowing out of Garibaldi Lake down into Squamish would be 120 metres high,” he estimates.

“That’s what the DOS recognizes and doesn’t even talk about because we can’t do anything about it.”

Quane said the barrier is crumbling over time and there is rock continuously falling off the barrier. The reason for the decay could be because water escapes through the bottom of the barrier.

“Rubble Creek is actually draining from below the dam so one thing you could argue is that it is undermining the lava flow,” he said. “And that’s bad for the dam.”

more reading: https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/the-barrier-remains-a-concern/Content?oid=2168867

https://www.squamishchief.com/news/garibaldi-lake-a-ticking-time-bomb-1.1753732

http://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/courses/geob370/students/class12/lkuan/index.xhtml

http://myriverside.sd43.bc.ca/lizab2016/2017/10/14/garibaldi-lake-task/

IMG_5171.JPG

wherever you see flat spots, there used to be cabins

IMG_5172.JPG

getting the line into the water. Nada bite, still too damn cold

IMG_5179.JPG IMG_5190.JPG IMG_5191.JPG IMG_5194.JPG
    \
    more old cabin sites, terraced area, there was 5 sites here.

IMG_5195.JPG IMG_5199.JPG

time for a brew up. Decided to see if my brass peanut lighter still worked. Its been about 6 months since i used it. Nope, need to seal it with a piece of adhesive heat shrink tubing to keep the lighter fluid from evaporating.

IMG_5202.JPG

more gear. Exotac match case, Esee FireSteel, Swiss Army Cadet, all stored in a small Magpul suppressor pouch
    IMG_5204.JPG

MKettle and SADF 2L canteen,MSR Titan Kettle mug, 200 ml Titanium bottle for methyl hydrate to fuel the MKettle

IMG_5206.JPG

playing around with the Acebeam LC30 Gen 2 with green filter. Its DAMN bright

IMG_5207.JPG

invisible flame, completely silent and no odor.
    IMG_5208.JPG

had a big mug of coffee, fished some more, nada bite, too damn cold still. Made some sourdough / spiced gouda / black pepper salami sammiches for the walk out to the truck.
    IMG_5223.JPG

thats it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    jdh, Kevin, Datilite and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.