The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klynesquatch

Klynesquatch Member

Crazy story, you hear about more and more stuff like this nowadays. Rural crime has been skyrocketing around these parts, it seems they are leaving the shadowy underbelly of the cities for literally greener pastures

Bushman5 likes this.
  2. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Made me think of the First Blood forest scene.

Zeek, Bushman5 and TangoDelta59 like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yea that area is a continual dumping ground for stolen vehicles, garbage, and the number of squatters camped there is increasing. Squamish is up the hwy about 30 klicks, and its full of druggies, thieves. Vancouver has approx 5000 junkies / homeless and the outlying Metro areas approx another 20,000+. The Fraser Valley and Hope BC area are really bad as well for druggies and rural crime.

Zeek likes this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I was tempted. Had my tomahawk..........plus i'm 205 lbs of built , pissed off trucker.

but I decided the stealth approach (until the end) was best

Zeek, Strigidae and DiscoveryLover like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

rough map of events

map1.png

Zeek likes this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

been a number of vehicle and other break in's between Squamish and Lions Bay recently.....but nothing further east towards west Vancouver .......so i suspect those two losers have a camp somewhere near the Porteau Rd / Deeks trailhead parking lot.

Cant be that far off the hwy......Im going to find it. Stealth approach , surveillance and photos and then involve the Police when i find it.

Cancer is not just a disease, its certain people too. :mad:

Michael W. and Zeek like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Sept 16th/2018, Rain, Heavy Rain - "The Search For A Squatters Camp, Gear Test In The Rain, Find An Old Boys Camp And Lunch By The Ocean Tour, With Rain"

Acting on some tips from several regular hikers here, I headed back up to the Porteau area and my goal was to see if the two sketchy individuals I encountered last weekend had a squat camp somewhere up there. I suspected they followed me because they A: wanted to jack my truck keys and wallet or B: keep me from finding a drug lab or similar. After talking with several hikers, i suspected the two males were probably camped somewhere, cooking drugs.

Arrived at the parking lot and loaded up the L.R.R.P.R. webbing.

Weather was very rainy and cloudy
    IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

With all the rain we have had, the creek was blown out. Last weekend it was DRY.

last weekend

20180909_135754.jpg

this weekend :eek::confused::eek:

IMG_0459.jpg

carefully made my way down the slippery rocks.........the water was moving FAST and was about 8' deep at this point. Filled up my canteens and treated them. IMG_0460.jpg

hiked up to an area i thought the two individuals might have used as a camp. Noticed fresh all terrain tire marks on the little dirt road leading to the dead end in the woods, as well the puddles had been driven thru very recently (yesterday or today).

IMG_0470.jpg IMG_0482.jpg

walked up to the dead end and immediately noticed a lot of blue nitrile gloves scattered about, and one hell of a chemical smell in the air. Empty boxes of baking soda, car batteries drained of acid, garbage, cig butts, cig packs, empty propane bottles, rubbermaid containers, buckets, smashed pallets for firewood, stripped wire insulation , beer bottles etc. I did not notice this stuff here last weekend.

all the signs of a meth or crack cook out.

IMG_0464.jpg IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0469.jpg IMG_0471.jpg IMG_0472.jpg IMG_0473.jpg IMG_0474.jpg IMG_0475.jpg IMG_0476.jpg IMG_0478.jpg IMG_0479.jpg IMG_0477.jpg

the campfire (multiples) all stank of freshly burned wood. A harsh chemical smell permeated the air, even with the heavy rains. I chose to not get contaminated and left. No one around, these two had finished here.

Pretty brazen cooking their **** right off the main hwy.

end of part 1.

Part 2 continues below

jdh, Switchblade, BigJake and 7 others like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Part Two: Perseverance Survival Hoodie test

Left the dead end and bushwhacked thru soaking wet underbrush. As well the rain was coming down hard again.

The Perseverance Survival Hoodie is basically made with the same materials as a poncho liner. It was cool today, and wet. I was already too warm, even just going easy. So it insulates well, even when wet. I almost got too hot when i was bushwacking thru the undergrowth, but i wanted to sweat to test how warm I could stay wearing the hoodie.

IMG_0483.jpg IMG_0484.jpg IMG_0490.jpg

the hood is a very generous cut. I normally despise hoods like this......I feel it cuts off a lot of sounds from around me. I feel like in a blind spot when its up.

20180916_142810.jpg

I carried on thru the undergrowth, re-visiting the old stone wall i had found last weekend. Did a little digging around the undergrowthc and found tons of old rusted tin cans and glass jars. Also found several rusty nails in the down logs on the rock wall. Looks like someone built a shelter decades ago, and had a tarp over it

IMG_0489.jpg IMG_0486.jpg IMG_0485.jpg IMG_0487.jpg IMG_0488.jpg

take note of the rock wall.....it will tie in to my later discovery :)

on and thru the wet wet woods. The rain was coming down in buckets. I was still warm. Any slight exertion and the heat just cranked up in the PS Hoodie. To the point I was steaming.

Fall colors starting to pop out everywhere

IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0493.jpg
    small bluff with young ferns sprouting up everywhere
    IMG_0491.jpg

dropped out of the woods onto a BC Hydro powerline road. Fellowed it down, was hoping to get down to the ocean.

noticed an overgrown spur road off the powerline road.....it meandered into the woods and continued down the slope.
    IMG_0494.jpg
    opened up quite wide. No one has been here in years.
    IMG_0495.jpg
    whats this? (note the rock wall) also note all the cables.
    IMG_0496.jpg IMG_0498.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    jdh, Switchblade, BigJake and 6 others like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

seems to be some sort of pool...had cables strung over it at one point

IMG_0497.jpg IMG_0499.jpg
    I started looking around and found TONS of OLD aerial cables strung thru out the forest. Looks like this area used to be a Boys camp of some kind, maybe 1940s era when camps like these were popular. Nowadays they are politically incorrect :rolleyes:.

These cables were about 30' to 40' feet off the ground,and there was upper and lower cables. Upper cables to lanyard into for safety.
    IMG_0500.jpg IMG_0501.jpg IMG_0502.jpg IMG_0503.jpg IMG_0504.jpg
    well used steps in the forest floor.
    IMG_0505.jpg IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0507.jpg IMG_0508.jpg
    I found small, about 8'x10' concrete foundations all thru-out the forest
    IMG_0509.jpg
    forest road opened up to a overgrown grass road.
    IMG_0510.jpg

more foundations , reclaimed by nature IMG_0511.jpg
    old truck canopy IMG_0512.jpg
    foundations and creosoted timbers
    IMG_0513.jpg IMG_0514.jpg
    bigger foundation
    IMG_0515.jpg IMG_0516.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    jdh, Switchblade, BigJake and 8 others like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

well compacted old lawn, now overgrown

IMG_0517.jpg
    found tons of these massive creosoted sawhorses (?)
    IMG_0518.jpg
    a prevailing theme of handmade rock walls.....perhaps this was a camp for wayward youth at one time and they were put to work.......because there is like 200+ rock walls all the forest
    IMG_0519.jpg

makeshift grave? IMG_0521.jpg IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg

platform of some sort
    IMG_0523.jpg IMG_0524.jpg
    rock borders everywhere
    IMG_0526.jpg
    more small concrete foundations
    IMG_0527.jpg IMG_0528.jpg
    narrow concrete stairs leading up to a medium sized concrete foundation
    IMG_0529.jpg
    rock wall IMG_0530.jpg
    very overgrown concrete foundation
    IMG_0531.jpg
    perhaps the remnants of a small pool....the concrete was painted old school swimming pool green on one side
    IMG_0532.jpg IMG_0533.jpg
    signed painted rock
    IMG_0535.jpg
    got lots of stickers on me
    IMG_0536.jpg

more piles of rocks and creosoted timbers IMG_0537.jpg

rock wall IMG_0538.jpg

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

thru out the forest was little paths , all overgrown and all marked with hand set stones bordering the paths
    IMG_0539.jpg IMG_0540.jpg
    large foundation, raised
    IMG_0541.jpg IMG_0542.jpg
    besides the birds, this was the only other forest dweller I encountered.
    IMG_0543.jpg IMG_0544.jpg

old porch IMG_0545.jpg IMG_0546.jpg
    I suspect this would be stairs to a main hall, as they were very wide compared to all other steps i found. And the foundation was quite large
    IMG_0547.jpg IMG_0548.jpg IMG_0549.jpg IMG_0550.jpg
    old hand cut cedar fence
    IMG_0551.jpg IMG_0552.jpg
    crossed the railroad trakcs and found a overgrown road that led down to the ocean and eventually to the Porteau Cove park/campsite and a caretakers cabin
    IMG_0553.jpg IMG_0554.jpg

jdh, Switchblade, BigJake and 7 others like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the little bay east of Porteau Cove
    IMG_0555.jpg

old shed
    IMG_0556.jpg

private moorage for the Caretakers cabin
    IMG_0557.jpg

caretakers cabin
    IMG_0558.jpg

CLASSIC BC PROVINCIAL PARK cabin construction and brown paint. No matter where you go in BC.......there is this brown paint.
    IMG_0559.jpg

nice truck!
    IMG_0560.jpg

old lean too
    IMG_0561.jpg

zoomed in on the east campfround
    IMG_0562.jpg

Howe Sound
    IMG_0563.jpg

millions of tons of seaweed all over the coastline. The coastal First Nations used to gather this stuff up and put it on the roofs of their huts and longhouses, often 2 - 3 feet thick. The wet weight would compress the existing roof materials and make it 100% waterproof.

IMG_0564.jpg

rain easing off and the skies clearing up. YEA RIGHT!
    IMG_0565.jpg

miles of coastal beach and mountains
    IMG_0566.jpg

Emergency Ferry Terminal, Porteau Cove
    IMG_0567.jpg

a tasteful knife, plant and stump pic
    IMG_0569.jpg

east side of the campground
    IMG_0570.jpg

this view is awesome.
    IMG_0571.jpg

wet seagull
    IMG_0572.jpg

off loading the L.R.R.P.R. webbing , to have lunch and a brew up
    IMG_0575.jpg

weather system RAPIDLY moving back in
    IMG_0576.jpg

13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

found a nice section of beach to have lunch on. Rain started pretty fierce.
    IMG_0577.jpg IMG_0578.jpg
    The Perseverance Survival Hoodie hood is big enough to wear OVER a boonie hat. Despite the torrential rain, soaking me thru, i was warm.
    IMG_0581.jpg
    rain moving in FAST
    IMG_0583.jpg
    mountains obscured by rain fog in seconds
    IMG_0585.jpg

hasty tarp setup. Yea its ghetto azz...... IMG_0586.jpg
    boiling water in the SAS MKettle and boiling water in the gi cup as well. Why let the heat go to waste?
    IMG_0587.jpg
    invisible, odorless flame thanks to Methyl Hydrate fuel
    IMG_0588.jpg IMG_0589.jpg
    as a half Sicilian, this Knorr stuff offends me. But I got a case for free from a neighbor so......
    IMG_0590.jpg
    soaking the noodles in boiling water
    IMG_0591.jpg
    putting the stopper in the SAS MKettle after boiling water and you get one hell of a hot water bottle. Stopper fit is TIGHT, its not going anywhere
    IMG_0592.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Switchblade, BigJake, KnOeFz and 4 others like this.
  14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

diving bird

IMG_0584.jpg
    the hoodie can be cinched almost shut,like if you wanted to sleep and use the hoodie as half sleeping bag
    IMG_0598.jpg
    fog rolling in, alogn with MORE rain
    IMG_0600.jpg IMG_0601.jpg
    BC Survival Tip: even thought the driftwood is always submerged and wet.....find a cedar log or just chop away at any log......some are dry!
    IMG_0603.jpg
    this raven pair is OLD......still kicking around the same tree after like 12 years.
    IMG_0606.jpg IMG_0607.jpg

thats it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    jdh, Switchblade, Boker55 and 5 others like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Sept 23/2018, wet, foggy, "The Hellish Elevation Gain, Brutal Steep And Overgrown Wet Trails, Lost Lake Emergency Shelter Warmup Tour"

The goal today was to flag the trail leading to the Lost Lake Emergency Shelter, and to finally get to the shelter. Did not have enough time last time i was up here to reach the Shelter and still make it back down to the trailhead.

Soggy Day at the trail head. IMG_0026.JPG
    removed old flagging tape and installed new lengths all along the trail (until i ran out)
    IMG_0640.jpg

already the mist is rolling in overhead
    IMG_0641.jpg
    Used my new Estwing double bit to clear overhanging branches . It exceeded my expectations. Amazing tool to swing, back swing and wield about
    IMG_0642.jpg
    slug
    IMG_0644.jpg

heavy mist rolling into the forest now IMG_0645.jpg

yes this is a trail. Used to be an old logging road. IMG_0648.jpg

heavy mist now, coming down from the peaks
    IMG_0649.jpg
    trail. Wet trail.
    IMG_0650.jpg
    soaked thru in 5 minutes of walking
    IMG_0651.jpg

the trail follows the old decommissioned logging road for many KM's. Two sections are particularly overgrown and as a result, very wet underbrush. As well, you CANNOT see where your feet are when your stepping........many hikers get sprained ankles in these trails. The grade steadily gets steeper as you go up IMG_0652.jpg
    battle ax
    IMG_0653.jpg
    still climbing thru the undergrowth
    IMG_0655.jpg
    watering hole
    IMG_0656.jpg
    heavy mist now
    IMG_0657.jpg
    a lethal duo
    IMG_0660.jpg
    yes this a trail :D undergrowth chest height now. Just gotta push thru it and ignore the water running down your chest, back, everywhere.
    IMG_0661.jpg
    ok all that slogging up the steep grade took a lot out of me. Time for a brew up
    IMG_0662.jpg

silent odorless, smokeless, methyl hydrate (marine stove alcohol fuel) boiling the water
    IMG_0664.jpg

a little trick i do with hot stong british tea is add a NUUN tab to it. Sweetens it and adds a nice lemony flavour.
    IMG_0665.jpg

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Toast To The God Of Mists And Forests!
    IMG_0666.jpg

these are the kind of trail conditions where the load bearing webbing shines......I can just duck under and keep moving. No snagging of backpacks to knock you over. IMG_0667.jpg
    trail got steep and off camber for a bit. Even the alders had issues staying upright
    IMG_0668.jpg
    water hole #2099465882923765962632....due to the heavy rains.
    IMG_0669.jpg
    Trees In The Mist, an M. Night Shyamalan Production. ;)
    IMG_0670.jpg
    coming up here next time in a D8 bulldozer.....lol.....
    IMG_0671.jpg
    after about 4 - 5 hours, i reached the even steeper part of the trail. This was a "cut across" trail, it cut across a long section section of zig zagged trail. Looks a little easier and meandering. HA!

IMG_0674.jpg

goes straight up the mountain. About a 70 deg slope
    IMG_0672.jpg
    turns into a crawl on all 4's trail
    IMG_0675.jpg

yes , trail......lol. I was so knackered at this point, all i could do was a meter or two and then had to stop, then repeat. Gravity was fighting me hard, despite my experience levels and fitness and weapons of choice....
    IMG_0029.JPG
    found some mushrooms
    IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0027.JPG

these were tiny, about 1/4" tops IMG_0033.JPG

this lil bird made lots of chirps and followed me around
    IMG_0031.JPG
    trail eased off a bit (hahahahaha)
    IMG_0676.jpg
    nearing the top of the lower mountain.....never have i been so glad to find somewhat level trail

IMG_0677.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

water soaked spider web, these were everywhere in the forest.

IMG_0103.JPG

emerging out of the steep trails, I found hundreds of millions of blueberry and huckleberry bushes, loaded with berries. I shoved hand fulls of them into my mouth, the sugars and antioxidants a welcome treat after the brutal hell scramble (one of many on the trail). I just stood there, rain and mist soaking me, eating berries, looking at the view (of rain and mist). On a clear day this would be spectacular....seeing as how I was 3800 feet above sea level overlooking Howe Sound

IMG_0034.JPG
    you have no idea how happy i was to get here. I left early in the AM and it was now 1600 hours. I had to get the stove going, get the cabin hot, make a hot meal from my kit, and then head out right away....still had a 3-4 hour descent...........
    IMG_0035.JPG
    the infamous Pee Tree.
    IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG

this wood (all douglas fir)is felled by hand, cut into rounds, split by hand and carried up here by chopper (cargo net). Costs a ton of money but the caretaker of this shelter does it every year, as well as haul out people trash and un-needed items from the shelter.
    IMG_0039.JPG
    few emergency supplies. left mostly by well meaning hikers......except there is no stoves for these......lol
    IMG_0041.JPG
    this logbook is over 3" thick and it is the second one as someone used the other one to light a bonfire outside in the firepit. Thousands of pages , signed by people detailing there adventures here
    IMG_0042.JPG
    I was going to pound a few nails in and hang these up, but i was famished and had to get the fire going. Next time
    IMG_0044.JPG
    a few tins of pouch soup, cereals, GORP, matches, tea candles, bug spray, cards etc.
    IMG_0052.JPG
    buckets for water from the lake, a tarp, pots and pans, some cardboard (fire tinder)
    IMG_0053.JPG

the very dry firewood quickly lit and the little cabin soon heated up. I had steam coming off my clothes
    IMG_0054[1].JPG

getting the SAS MKettle ready for boiling water for soup
    IMG_0061.JPG

i hate their pastas but their organic veg soups are tasty. Also had a tin of smoked oysters in oil. Adds huge protein burst to any meal.
    IMG_0063 (1).JPG

boiling away, the MKettle added a LOT of heat to the room
    IMG_0064.JPG

soaking the freeze dried soup
    IMG_0066 (1).JPG

some charcuterie and cracked black pepper old cheddar and french rye bread
    IMG_0067 (1).JPG IMG_0068 (1).JPG IMG_0069 (1).JPG

I chowed down, ate everything i had brought, needed the warmth and the energy for the descent thru hell, possibly at night as time and light were fading.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  18. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

stoked the fire, let it burn down with the stove door open. Cleaned up and stowed away my gear and prepared to leave for the descent. It was now 1700 hours. Had I had an extra day off i would stayed overnight and saved the descent for the AM.

the area around the Lost Lake Shelter:

love forests like these
    IMG_0070.JPG
    the best place to drop trou in the world...on a clear day you can see the entire Howe Sound below you
    IMG_0071.JPG
    looking back at the shelter
    IMG_0072.JPG
    a 2 minute walk brings you to the Lost Lake. Sometimes its super muddy color, other times it crystal clear. Depends on the rain and the feeder streams

IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0078.JPG
    still another peak above this flat area.
    IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG IMG_0084.JPG IMG_0085.JPG

LINK to Lost Lake Panoramic view (file too large to upload)

I decided to take the old trail down, rather than head down the 70 deg slope "trail".

old trail descent starts at the outflow creek of Lost Lake

IMG_0087.JPG
    trail...................(used to be a logging road!)
    IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0090.JPG

steep bluffs above the "trail"
    IMG_0092.JPG

fighting my way thru the dense growth, literally "feeling" for the 8" wide trail with my toes. Could not even see my legs. Soaked instantly. Heading down into the valley between the peaks
    IMG_0093.JPG

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    jdh, Switchblade, Packrat and 4 others like this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the trail down goes thru about a 1/2 km of steep dense overgrown bush, on the right side of the creek. Then it doglegs to the left and crosses back over the creek. At this point the creek flows UNDER these rocks and trees, you can still hear it loudly, but it tunnels under.

IMG_0100.JPG
    view of the north western mountain slope from the creek bed.
    IMG_0101.JPG
    had my new ACEBEAM 2500 LUMEN headlamp with me. (REVIEW LATER)
    IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0115.JPG

just kept on descending. Fighting the gravity in parts of the trail and the slipperiness in others. Did not get back to the truck until after 2000 hours. Just beat, knee joints took a beating on the descent.

Stopped at Tobys in North Van and got some post hike cold ones.

The hot soak in the tub after I got home was very welcome.

fin

not my gps tracks, but this gives you an idea of the terrain. Last time i was here I only made it halfway. Still amazes me the old logging roads that snake up , down and across these mountains.

red trail is the normal trail. Yellow trail is the 70 deg slope "bypass trail". Orange arrow points to the hut and lake
    200022.jpg

technical info:

Lost Lake Shelter #182 (Kallahne Creek Hut, Lost Lake Cabin)
    Type: Building_Shelter
    Elevation: 1062 m (3484 ft)
    Location: 49.53973,-123.21079 49:32:23, -123:12:39 10U 484749 5487479
    (12 km SW of Mountain Lake). (9 km N of Lions Bay). (6 km W of Capilano Mountain).
    Ranges: North America Ranges / Pacific Cordillera Range / Coast Mountains / Pacific Ranges / Britannia Range

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Great pics and narrative as usual mate !

Bushman5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.