The anrkst6973vs bushman5 Potjie/Cast Iron Cookware Cook-Off!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushman5, May 28, 2019.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

do it man! once you get your meats seared, its LOW and SLOW cooking. Get those flavors melded over time.

you and your family and friends will love the food you cook. And it only gets better over time

Zeek, anrkst6973 and Jeremiah Jones like this.
  2. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Both look really good!!

Bushman5 and anrkst6973 like this.
  3. Bozho

Bozho Member

This thread inspired me to get a cast iron pot and pan, once I fully pay the Glock .
    I really like that I can use them both outdoors and at home and found a variety of pots and pans locally.

4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

What did you get? Or intend to get? I love cooking in my cast iron pots. There are endless variations of recipes from all over the world to try. :)

Jeremiah Jones and Zeek like this.
  5. Bozho

Bozho Member

I plan to get them in September, as currently it is very hot here and cooking on a fire outside can give you a heat stroke :D
    I have planned some vacations in the next two months (so money will go for them) and by September the weather would be good enough for cooking these delicious dishes you show here.
    I have been looking at the Lava brand (as it is available here and not expensive) - a frying pan for eggs and similar stuff and a 6 liter pot.
    A friend of mine has a really nice wok style pan/pot made out of a piece of tractor equipment, that I do not know what is called in English - this is it - [​IMG]

With some welding end smoothing the sharp end it looks like this :
    [​IMG]

It gets hot really quick and you can cook anything on it - veggies, eggs, fish, meat, bread :)
    We use it when fishing and cook all the food on it.

6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

"There's something happening here...What it is ain't excactly clear..."

image.jpeg

"Hey Hey what's that sound..." ;)

Zeek likes this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Siiiizzzzzzzzzllllllle! ;)

Zeek and anrkst6973 like this.
  8. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg
    By special request, this weekend, handmade, even the crust, outside over the fire. :)

Zeek likes this.
  9. Se7eN

Se7eN Member

This is incredible.

You guys started a cast iron cool off without me eh?

Hmm.

Bushy gets my vote, but I’m biased as hell. @anrkst6973 your cooking is unreal man. Truly epic, but family is family and bushy gets my vote lol

anrkst6973 and Bushman5 like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

are ya kidding me man? I made a meat curry......big whoop! :D

would you look at the goodness Brother @anrkst6973 is making with his Sous Chef Sidekick?

those chicken stuffed bell peppers deserve an Esee Patch!

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

i have something similar - the TemboTusk Skottle. But is on long legs and has a propane stove. Although in a pinch it can be used in a fire

20180630_190359.jpg 20180630_191131.jpg 20180630_191543.jpg 20180630_193029.jpg

IMGP9301.JPG

Zeek, Se7eN, anrkst6973 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bozho

Bozho Member

These things get very hot extremely fast! Having it with propane would be convenient for the summer for sure.

13. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I almost bought one not long ago. Made from an actual farming implement. The vendor had a bunch of them labeled "Dicado" ( diss-cah-dough), I could see the potential for sure. ;)

Zeek and Bozho like this.
  14. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I suggest that this contest never end... you know for research purposes and its too cool!

Bushman5, Zeek and anrkst6973 like this.
  15. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I would vote for the Bushman too. ;). The clear waters, the stone windbreak, heck it was his inspiration that caused me to get a potjie in the first place. So it's his fault I've got mozzie welts in unmentionable places. ( yeah they just zap you right thru the fire hose DTC clothes I wear.)

Bushman5 and Se7eN like this.
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

So I had to do some prep/staging for the cast iron pot pie...

image.jpeg

It's dough. It's in a bowl, it's boring. It's proofing in my not air conditioned man cave as we speak. ;).

image.jpeg

Next, to de-bone the half chicken. The not quite meatless bones get whacked with the butt of the knife and put in my new 3 qt pan with some salt, black pepper, and just enough water to cover them.

image.jpeg

To that we add some white meat. This dish get a dice cut, cut into strips then across the grain. ( ya'll are knife guys, your supposed to know this stuff already. :) )

Zeek likes this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

done and done, it will be ongoing! I just wish i had some damn time to cook ! LOL!

Zeek, Strigidae and anrkst6973 like this.
  18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg
    The pan o bones goes outside to simmer on low heat for about 2 hours. ( Kovea makes the adapter to use the cheap green bottles on the Peak 1 or other Iso-propane type stove.)

image.jpeg

Veggies soaking in salt water. 2 cups corn, 1 green peas, 1 green beans, 6 pcs chopped asparagus, 2 cups chopped carrots.
    I did get an 8 oz package of sliced mushrooms but I already had these pics uploaded to file...

image.jpeg

When the bone broth was near done I set up for a nice pan sauce to go in my pie. I just quesstimated a heaping cup of flour and some seasoning. A fat pat of butter went in this too.

image.jpeg

I set out a good rounded tablespoon of plain corn starch. It's a thickening agent. Again, I'm guessing on how much sauce I will need. Better too much than too little is how I work...

Zeek likes this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

OOOOOH OOOOOH OOOOOH OOOOOH your making chicken pot pies!

YEEEEEEEES!

20. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

So you gotta brown off that flour. It's easy, just put it on low heat and stir constantly with a square front spatula. The smell of toasting flour is freaking amazing guys!

Ok I missed one pic here, I was by myself ( no photographer) and didn't get a shot of the bone broth being sieved out. It made about 2 cups though..

image.jpeg

I added the hot bone broth back to the browned flour, using a small whisk to work out any lumps. I decided that wasn't quite the creamy texture I wanted so I added some almond milk. Keep stirring and simmering, sprinkle in the corn starch, once it's blended remove from heat and it will thicken up like white gravy.

Now all my ingredients are staged up for a monstrous and epic pot pie. :). See how easy that was? Only 3 hours of prep and 60....70 new mosquito bites. :D

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.