Thank You SAR

Discussion in 'Search, Rescue and Technical Skills' started by Bushman5, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the village I grew up in, recently lost a teacher, Mr Alvin Dunic. My Father knew him as my father taught there too, decades ago. Mr Dunic disappeared into the HEAVILY overflowing creek that cuts thru the village. Swiftwater trained SAR members from several locales were deployed into the area for the search. Sadly, Mr Alvin Dunic did not survive.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-for-missing-crawford-bay-teacher-alvin-dunic

These SAR members have been LONG involved in SAR activities in the Kootenay area. Esp the little village of Crawford Bay/Gray Creek/Riondel area. God Bless Em all. Thank You For Your Service.

https://www.facebook.com/KokaneeGol...81335884537/10154802626574538/?type=3&theater

Datilite, Zeek and Reno Lewis like this.
  2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

May he rest easy in the halls of his forefathers, and my sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.

It's always a somber day when a search turns into a recovery.

Though, I will say, we more often have positive outcomes than not, they just don't make the news very often. We operate quickly and quietly, and usually have the subjects back to their families before the media has any idea we were even deployed.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Sad story. It's a shame that SAR folks have to deal with recovery often more times than rescue. Our crew is headed out next week to spend 5 days training in swiftwater rescue. Some of us are going through level 1 again and then on to advanced while the others are doing their first certification in Level I and II.

Strigidae and Bushman5 like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Reno Lewis likes this.
  5. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I thought he was found at the time of your original post?

"Sadly, Mr Alvin Dunic did not survive."

Either way, sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

its been difficult getting news form the Kootenays......it often takes WEEKS for news to reach the big smoke.

I had assumed, as had a lot of the SAR volunteers, that he had perished the first day. I have no photos, but Crawford Creek in Spring snow melt is TERRIFYING. A "creek" that normally is whitewater and DEEP, during a Koot spring thaw.....is insane

Zeek and Reno Lewis like this.