Tertiary

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Seanoin, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Seanoin

Seanoin Member

Feel free to post a pic of the blade you probably don't have and give some love to the blade you may not feel sentimental for.

The Tertiary.

I feel like this is a sensitive topic, perhaps, but do most folks want every blade ESEE Knives makes for the most part besides this one, and if so (here's the kicker), why?

Does it have a bad rap?
    Do people's opinions in knife culture help knife sales, and adversely, make them plummet (or nonexistent), and if so, is this fair in ESEE's case?

Due to the lack of hype, I crave a level of honest scrutiny or explanation from consumers and creators alike.

Theodore likes this.
  2. Theodore

Theodore Member

Sure. Blades like that are designed for a very specific use and sacrifice usability in every other way. And in my opinion do not offer anything offensively or defensively that can not be achieved with a "normal" knife. Ka bar makes a crooked abomination I feel the same way about.

Just my opinion.

3. otis

otis Member

i'd like to get one at some point, but funds and other needs/wants are ahead on the priority list.

retention is better with a knife like this or the tdi than a straight tang blade, use is pretty much the same as throwing a punch...

a handgun doesn't cut anything at all, and is heavier, but people usually don't have the same disdain for those as for blades like the tertiary, tdi, etc...

jmho

Zeek likes this.
  4. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

I gave a TDI away in favor of the Tertiary. I carry it when I can't carry my gun. Usually when I'm jogging.
    Personally I think most people just don't understand the reasoning behind the Tertiary. The designer, a seasoned police officer/ firearms instructor, made it with his line of work in mind. Something he'd use. While your average citizen might not have a need for the Tertiary, my understanding is it's been a hit in the law enforcement community.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Short explanation:

In a scuffle, bad guy goes for gun. Good guy locks gun in holster with dominant hand then grabs Tertiary from area behind mag pouch.

Slicing pie, bag guy grabs long arm, good guy pinned, grabs Tertiary from raid vest. Like is like....palm and all that.

Excellent tool for intended purpose.

Sad thing is, the Tertiary is probably used as much as most of the busch craft knives purchased by the general public.

Zeek, otis and Strigidae like this.
  6. John Nichols

John Nichols Member

Can't have it in Texas, no daggers or other double edged blades. I do; however, have a TDI.

7. otis

otis Member

isn't there work in texas to legalize double edge blades?

we're allowed to carry sword canes, daggers, bowies, etc. in oklahoma...

8. John Nichols

John Nichols Member

None of that in Texas, I can carry an ESEE 5 or a switchblade (recent law change), but not a Tertiary.

Austin is a blue liberal dot in a red state.

9. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

That's ridiculous. I've seen a guy almost die from cuts from a Swiss Army knife. Its stupid to think one will kill you more dead than the other.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Zeek, Strigidae and Theodore like this.
  10. Nordac

Nordac Member

**** try living I California we damn near can't even think about guns let alone own any

Larry Fine and Zeek like this.
  11. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

[​IMG]

The Tertiary was developed by SWAT officer Lee Smith as a Law Enforcement / Military defense tool. Born from the legendary Izula line, the “Tertiary” name (meaning third in order or level) comes from an edged weapon’s natural place in the panoply of personal weapons (primary firearm, backup firearm and then close-quarters weapons). Its design characteristics target specific professional needs such as swift, effective deployment, reliable cutting and penetration, low visibility profile, modular carry options, and robust, simple construction. Simple straight punch, jab, and hammer fist strikes yield tremendous cutting potential with minimal training or effort. The sheath works well in the waist area from the 10 to 2 o’clock positions. Clipped in a vertical position under a duty belt or inside the pants gives more than enough retention for a clean draw stroke and safe re-sheathing. The clip plate can be removed to expose the accessory holes to facilitate paracording to MOLLE webbing, or worn as a neck sheath.

12. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I hated Austin. Hipsters, hippies, and "leave your gun" outside posters everywhere. It was also close to 130* with the humidity.

13. otis

otis Member

80% ftw!

WoodsWarrior and Nordac like this.
  14. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

If you like it and want to carry it, but the sharpened back edge is illegal, why couldn't you dull it to the point that it isn't even close to being sharp?

15. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

We are not allowed push daggers in the UK. Even if we could I'm not sure I would own one. Is the Izula so bad at stabbing someone that it needs a new funny shaped handle?

otis likes this.
  16. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

There is no middle ground with this knife. Love or hate. What a cool thing huh?

Lostviking and WoodsWarrior like this.
  17. John Nichols

John Nichols Member

Because I already have a Kabar TDI. It has the same purpose.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  18. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I have also owned a TDI and a push dagger. Both were nice, but the push dagger seemed easier to use for punching. I think the TDI gives you more options for it's use than does a push dagger.

Interesting coincidence, I was watching "The Purge: Election Day", and one of the bodyguards/ Secret Service agents used a push dagger a few times as a close quarters backup weapon. Of course, in the movie it was fairly effective, but would have been much more effective if it had been a bit longer.

19. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

The tertiary is on my short list. It falls into the exact same category as my Spyderco Matriach with Wise Men Signet ring. I can't carry my gun everywhere. A purpose built self defense knife is better then nothing.

otis likes this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

love it, but cannot carry it here in Canada (no push daggers)

funny thing is i can "push" my izula2 in the same manner.....

Larry Fine, Theodore and Zeek like this.