Survival rifle, a new look at the scout rifle concept.

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stewart, Mar 26, 2020.

1. TerryD

TerryD Member

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them but the stainless 336 would top my list.

I prefer Ruger bolt guns. The M77 MK2 and American are both good rifles. My next choice after the 30-30 is a short barrel stainless American in .308.

The sex appeal of the lever gun draws me in though. Even one of the pistol caliber ones like a .44 mag or .45LC could be a good option. But I could see those being more expensive to feed than a 30-30.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Bozho likes this.
  2. Stewart

Stewart Member

I wonder how a 30 30 would go suppressed?

I have had an m77 laminate compact in 308 and it was a solid rifle, was not fussy on ammo at all.

TerryD likes this.
  3. TerryD

TerryD Member

I don't know. My 464 has a flash hider and is threaded. I've considered working with a buddy who reloads to get some heavy sub-sonic stuff put together for it.

I did a little reading some time ago and there was some issues with stability IIRC. I'd have to try to find those articles again.

Stewart likes this.
  4. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

The best rifle for any situation, is the one you train with. The one you know how to use. The rifle you can accurately engage targets from 25yds to 800 yds. I see only a handful of people on ranges that can do this. I love the ruger scout with a 2.5 leupold. Rifles are tools, the weapon is the person.

5. daizee

daizee Member

I think the longest shooting range in my (albeit very small) state is 200yd, maybe 300. Only 200 at my club.
    Can't imagine I'd have an excuse to shoot at something 800yd away, and I'm imaginative. Can I imagine *someone* would? Sure. Me? No. Criteria will vary with practicality. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to practice long-distance shooting, but...

JV3, Stewart and TerryD like this.
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I don’t want to imagine shooting a person at any range regardless of the state I’m in. My point is know your weapon and what it does. Walk down any range today and it will be full of guys shooting ARs at 25 yards. If you can engage from 25 to 300 yards with a defensive weapon consistently your likely way ahead of the sending lead back your way.

Stewart, TerryD and daizee like this.
  7. daizee

daizee Member

ain't that the truth.
    More often I'm on the pistol range, but we've always got something out at the 50yd line (as far as it goes), and when we can't hit that consistently we know how to blame the firearm. :rolleyes:

Stewart and Wisdom like this.
  8. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Here’s a survival rifle, depending on which end of it your on. FFEEEC67-3F40-4D66-849F-6C4FFE3C0788.jpeg

Strigidae, Stewart and TerryD like this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I would probably choose my Sako AII actioned .308. It's not a Scout but the 2.5 (-8) optic allows it to work well for snap shots. Moreover I shoot it VERY well. Better than any other hunting rifleI have owned. My wildcard entry would be my Winchester 94 Trapper in 30/30. It' short, light, quick cycling and with the Lyman 66 on it I have nailed more than my fair share of game large and small with it.

Stewart and TerryD like this.
  10. Stewart

Stewart Member

This Wisdon from Wisdom,
    This is what I have currently, a Kimber Montana that was chosen and setup based loosely on what I liked about the Scout rifle concept.

Its chopped to 18inches and suppressed but but but it feels like a rifle and handles like one. Dont get me wrong its the ideal hunting rifle and I can just drop deer out to 300 with ease but its not quite right.

11. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I like my 7.62x39 527 carbine enough that I got 2 more magazines right as this panic buying was starting. The ease of finding 7.62x39 and this rifles accuracy makes this gun really appealing. I have a nikon 3x9 I got in a trade + the factory irons, I am very confident to 200 yards and have made consistent hits out to 400 yards. One of my ideas is to eventually modify one of my mags like a styer scout mag with a second detent so it sits low enough to not feed rounds but will work like a single round feed block, then if I need 5 rounds quick I can just push it in, I have tested this idea and the CRF works for single rounds if you have the mag sitting low enough in the well. Also the 7.62x39 mags are the same as the 527 6.5 grendel mags, another round and rifle I definitely want to add to my collection when I find a deal.

Solo and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  12. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Realistically it would be this one for me if I was going to have just one rifle. LWRC M6IC-SPR. 5.56/.223 with a SWFA SSHD 1-6x optic. I could fill my freezer and easily defend myself. 223 isn’t super overkill if you understand shot placement on small game and itll kill deer and whatever else I need with ease. Super accurate (ask @Bcamos), holds plenty of rounds, light enough, and the optic allows me quick target acquisition at short range and precision accuracy at extended ranges. The barrel is a 1:7 twist so it handle a variety of loads very nicely. This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine LOL

17572E71-7877-405E-8C34-3F8E16AF5231.jpeg

goon, Solo, The Marsh Gorilla and 5 others like this.
  13. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

sounds like you need a Ruger Scout rifle in 5.56.
    It’s a 1:7 twist though so not sure how married you are to that spec. It comes 16” with a flash suppressor. You can top load if you want.

14. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I'd have such a hard time buying a Ruger GSR in 5.56 with the newer American ranch in 5.56 that takes AR mags, I love my .308 GSR but the price point and AR mag compatibility with those American ranchs are awesome. Heck you could almost buy two for the price of one scout, or one and a 500 round case of ammo and some good vortex glass...

goon, Solo and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  15. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

It sounds like you need a Pork Sword pistol or SBR. Once you rebarrel your R700 with a 16" integrally suppressed .223 barrel from SWS, it'll slip right into the chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  16. Prodieus

Prodieus Member

I live in the Boreal Forest of Northern Alberta Canada.
    My go to Survival Rifle is a Scoped Ruger 10/22. It also has sights on it incase of scope failure. I can carry lots and lots of ammo for it and it not be to heavy. I use CCI Stingers. There has not been an animal in North America that hasnt been killed with a .22 cal gun.
    it is fast firing, accurate, reliable, easy to clean, and easy to find ammo as well as parts.

For defence I think it is a great option because its fast, accurate and can send alot of lead down range if necessary.

Stealth - it is rather short, easy to carry and the report of the rifle is pretty quiet. If you have the Ruger take down it's easily hidden in a pack.

You could easily pack the Ruger take down in a pack and carry a none take down as a primary and use the takedown as a backup. Giving you two rifles.

Just a great gun! Lol