Stone's Musique Thread (SMT) : part 2 {2017}

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Stone

Stone Member

Fine music being posted here, guys. Great stuff. Keep 'em coming. :cool:

2. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Spin Doctors anyone?

Scrap likes this.
  3. Scrap

Scrap Member

Yes,spindocters. That one takes me back.:)

Now for something a little more grim...

Stone likes this.
  4. Stone

Stone Member

Saturday night. Good time for me to catch up listening in here. Then, later, I've got another one to post that I've listened to several times today, and there's even some context that goes with it.

5. Stone

Stone Member

I am now a Cody Gilks fan.

6. Stone

Stone Member

This is Spin Doctors?

Oh, FFFF yeah! I've been looking for this track for years!

I heard it in a coffee shop in Portland OR, but didn't get the name.

RAUCKS!!!! Turn it UP!

OKcherokee likes this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

I'm a big Tool fan, but I'll have to try that one just upstream another night when I'm feeling ... different.

Right now, it's Saturday night as a monster nor'easter approaches (Monday wee am), I've rearranged my studio today and now live in the coolest place I've ever lived in -- one of those ultimate man caves -- and I've only lived here for about 2 mo. Only the beginning. (Pics and vids to come.)

So, I'm celebrating with the help of Comrade Vodka.

Earlier today, this track popped up on my Pandora Thumbnail station -- a station that plays tracks from ALL of my stations. It's almost all I listen to any more, because it's got everything: uptempo, downtempo, DnB, trance, ambient, vocals ....

This one is of interest to me tonight because it's high energy 'happy music'. And it carries some history for me.

Roll tape back to circa '99 in Seattle. I was taken to a club by a friend. I had already learned to like this kind of music years earlier, down in Albuquerque (you can only spell that town's name right if you've lived there). But it wasn't common there. It was common in the Pac NW, which is one reason I moved there ... along with big mountains with snow and beautiful, hot, if somewhat disturbed women drinking large quantities of coffee and craft beers.

So here I am walking into this SEA club at 10 pm. There's pumping minimalist music -- like what you'll hear in the first minute of this track -- driving hundreds --- yes, hundreds -- of people on a dance floor to warm up. Merely warming up, like in an aerobics class, but having fun, with a bar nearby. No one's getting out of control ... yet. That comes later.

By 11 pm, when everyone is warmed up, sufficiently stretched out, and hungry for syncopated beats that make one get their dance on, this kind of track pops up. The djs mix in anthem-like trance, like you'll hear from about 1:45 but by 1 am it's ramped up to what you're hearing at 2:30. Then at 2:40 when the beat "drops out" -- common in dance music -- things get mellow for a minute.

But when the dj drops the beat back in at 3:40, visualize hundreds of people hungry for beat explode together on a dance floor. At 49, I was one of the oldest. That crescendo is why I tend to call this music epic techno. It's too poppy for me now, 18 years later. I like stuff now that's more sophisticated, minimalist. But it carries memories for me.

Oh, one more thing: this track must -- MUST -- be heard on either a loud home system with bass response at least to 60 Hz, or a set of good headphones -- preferably studio quality -- or better yet, a well-tuned 60kW sound system with MASSIVE bottom end.

No chit, mon: turn this up.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Stone

Stone Member

OK, winding down for this Saturday night. 2:23 am.

Back to Spin Doctor influenced music with lyrics, but twisted syncopated funk.

This is my favorite track by any band ever. Yes, you read correctly: any band, ever.

9. Stone

Stone Member

This just in ...

This track just moved to my #1.

But check with me tmw.

10. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Stone likes this.
  11. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Stone likes this.
  12. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Stone likes this.
  13. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I am rarely moved by new music, unfortunately. But I will post this video of the timeless Dave Akeman in case there are any other fellow sophisticates on this string.

Stone likes this.
  14. Stone

Stone Member

All music is welcome here.

15. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Does not seem to work.

16. Stone

Stone Member

Just click on the Youtube option. The original source blocked it from playing when embedded on another site, but it plays fine on Youtube. Good stuff.

17. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

An interesting cat if you know the story.

18. Stone

Stone Member

I don't, but am reading if you're telling.

He is indeed interesting with those little jeans. I remember watching him on TV as a kid. Grew up southern (Me'omphis; now a yankee) with parents of the depression era who were very much into Grand Ole Opry. I was a major fan of bluegrass in my 20's -- played some of it (though never well) in my guitar days. (Now a drummer via keyboards -- long story there.)

I still very much appreciate that music and always enjoy it, even though what I listen to most has changed a lot.

19. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

He and his wife lived a very simple life. Distrustful of banks, he carried a large wad of bills. He and his wife were murdered in thier home after returning from the Grand Ole Opry in 1973. They got away with a few guns and a chainsaw. His wife had 8k in her bra they never looked. And they found around 20k hidden in a wall years later. Grandpa Jones found the bodies the next morning as they had a hunting trip planned. The incident changed Nashville. Although illigal, hangings would have been better for the community.

I believe him to be the consummate entertainer of his time and place. The letters from home,corny jokes, and frailing banjo harken to a better time and place...true or not.

I am not a big bluegrass fan, I tried to play some years ago but everyone was too damn loud. I grew up with a stratocaster, and never developed a heavy hand for bluegrass.

20. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Being Valentines Day what lady doesn't enjoy a good love song especially with some saxophone in it.....