Split up Gear - Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by JohnGer, Sep 26, 2019.

1. JohnGer

JohnGer Member

Hello Guys!

I am not sure if this is the right part of the Forum to post it - but I don't know where else.... So....

Maybe this question is pretty easy to answer for some, maybe not for all.

When you go on a Patrol or what ever.... Does it make sense to split up gear between you and your buddy(s)?

I am of course not talking about the core essentials like Firearms, IFAKs, etc.

But I think some stuff makes sense. For example: Do you really need a hatchet for everyone in your Team? Doesn't it workout with only one binocular for the group or one per buddy-pair? Does everyone need a folding saw? Maybe its easier to only carry one big Tarp for two people then two smaller ones and maybe hat would safe time, because you only need to built one shelter etc. - and so on.

I heard there are Units who even share sleeping bags per Buddy pair, because one is resting, the other guy is working, observing etc.

I think splitting stuff up makes things much easier and safes weight and time while carrying all the stuff. On the other Hand it makes the Individual more depending and less flexible in his actions.

So, which essentials do make sense to only carry once in the group and where to stop? What is really essential for everyone and what can be shared?

Thanks for your answers!!!!

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

There is a great deal of common sense and precedent around splitting up larger and more "group orientated" equipment among a ground. Shelter, tools and such are great examples. Even here when a group takes off on a 4x4 trip the essential equipment (jacks/tread boards/ recovering gear and the like) are shared out among vehicles to lower weight and allow for the essentials of life (and yes comfort) to fit in easier. In that sense you will even see some groups sharing spares if vehicle choice allows it.

JohnGer and Strigidae like this.
  3. JohnGer

JohnGer Member

Sure. I think so.

I just thought about how to make such decisions. I mean.... Surely everyone - I stay with the example of a patrol, cause everybody knows etc. - needs a knife, a flashlight, weapon and an IFAK etc. but where is the borderline what everyone should have and what can be shared?

4. Bozho

Bozho Member

Yes! It would make much sense - for group hiking or camping.
    Axe, machete, shovel, tent - this can be spread across hiking buddies.

As long as everyone has their gun, knife, flashlight, FAK and 24 hrs food and water on them - the rest of the gear can be split.

JohnGer likes this.