Southern Gent's Fiddleback Forge Duke Passaround

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Dave41079, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

I got the chance to get out and play with the Fiddleback Forge Duke that is being passed around by @Southern Gent. If you've ever held a Fiddleback Forge custom in your hand, then you get the comparison to it being like a handshake. If you've never held one...well, go find one to hold onto because little else compares.

I took this blade out with my LT Wright GNS saber grind. That is my go-to knife, and the one I am most familiar with using. The Duke is an excellent do it all camp knife. It's robust, but light, easily sharpened, and retains its edge. It made short work of notches, making kindling, and feathersticks. That last one really impressed me as I have trouble with feathersticks, but this knife effortlessly allowed me to make as many fine curls as I wanted. The knife was also excellent for food prep, slicing vegetables and meat with much better than I expected for a blade of this thickness. It was a lot of fun to use this knife, and I think it could be a perfect "one knife" answer to a lot of questions.

My phone died, so I only got a couple of pictures some of which are blurry. My apologies for that. Thanks again to Justen for this pass around. @Mountainmistwanderer you're next on the list, so it will be heading your way.

20161002_171422.jpg

20161002_172419.jpg

20161002_172334.jpg

20161002_172256.jpg

GaryMc likes this.
  2. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Good stuff Dave!! Send the T.M.Hunt while you're at it.
    I already have October 9th set aside for the Duke and the outdoors. October 8th is set aside for fun day gun day.

Dave41079 likes this.
  3. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Member

Good stuff Dave. Glad you enjoyed the Duke. Everyone should have at least one custom or production Duke in their quiver. It is one of the very few knives I can find no faults in and that is up for any task. A true "one knife to rule them all". James, looking forward to see what you come up with. Maybe another video like you did for the Camp Knife...

Dave41079 likes this.
  4. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Member

Some nice blades here Dave. Fiddlebacks tend to have great feeling handles in my experience, though some give the larger hand folks more to think about. That's a nice fat handle in the gns

5. Tinbanger

Tinbanger Member

Fyi, there is a pretty nice duke in the fb flea market.