Smocks

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by JohnGer, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

2. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

Looks like you really know your Smocks, That SORD looks well laid out.

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

we're the same build sort of.....lemme know if you thin the collection. My moneys are good!

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

OMG...how the heck did you score a Drop Zone ? even when they were up and operational and selling gear, it was a bloody lottery trying to get their wicked gear. I spent a year trying to get their Stubby Boonie hat and did not succeed, despite begging and telling them I would pay $125 CDN for it! I tried to get their fleece jacket too.........

their gear is LEGENDARY in the CF, and our CF Special Forces (JTF2)

used gear is hard to find and triple/quadruple the original cost......

and YES!!!! shout out to Vancouver Tactical! good peeps!

JohnGer and Not Sure like this.
  5. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

Bushman5, I did a search and found it online.
    Some guy who ran some kind of Bushcraft Store, sorry I don't remember the name.
    I also tried forever to get a boonie hat.....No Luck!
    They run big so if you ever find one, go down a full size.
    I have seen a couple on the bay, Good Luck.

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

All I know is I’ve been wanting one of these for a while now... I’ve really wanted a Multicam one but I’ve been thinking a coyote color may be a little more practical.. To many sheeple to worry about... my goal is by the 1st of the year :)

7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

After looking at prices i think ill just sew one up.

IW17 likes this.
  8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Strigidae I like your idea!
    If your looking to find a cheaper one check out the surplus market, they are out there just need to spot them a at the right time and make sure you know you size in NATO / European sizes as most I have seen are in one of those.

I saw this article a while back by soldier systems talking all about the smock concept.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/12/11/blast-from-the-past-the-smock/

Strigidae likes this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Andy the Aussie @Bushman5 @Not Sure @Rich275 @JohnGer
    Anyone know or have a reliable size conversion for the smocks? I can fit in a XL normal or long jacket but usually go for a XXL regular if they they run tight in the shoulders From what i can tell it looks like i would want a 180-112 or 190-112 or a 190-120?

Not Sure likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I have this question too......how does one cross reference military sizing to Large, XL etc?

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

CDN FORCES Pattern 82 smock / issue jacket with removable insulated liner. want more heat? cinch the waist and bottom straps and zip it up. Want to ventilate ? loosen the waist and bottom cinch straps and unzip half way.

IMG_1468.JPG
    angled chest pockets for easier access, both when standing and prone. Each holds a rifle mag
    IMG_1488.JPG
    simple. user friendly (cold, wet, numb, fatigued etc) waist cinch toggles (1/4" leather), and arctic buttons
    IMG_1489.JPG
    lower pockets (2) each hold 2 rifle mags and other gear.
    IMG_1490.JPG

beefy YKK brass #10 zipper. IMG_1491.JPG
    inner chest document pocket (also holds an automatic handgun)
    IMG_1492.JPG
    hangar tabs for the liner
    IMG_1493.JPG

you can see how these breath so well by shining a light thru....although the cotton fabric is very tightly woven (and gets tighter when wet) it still breaths, even under heavy exertion. Goretex might "keep you dry" (BS) but anything more than breathing and your drenched inside from sweat.....

IMG_1484.JPG

Not Sure likes this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

The sizing is pretty to easy to understand ;) lets unpack 190/112 (as I wear this or 190/120) the 190 is your height in centimetres and the 112 is your chest in centimetres. So I am 186cm tall and right on 120 around the chest. Always go up in the height measurement. I have a 180/112 smock (the RM Arctic I wore for years) that to me sits the hem a little high. So think about the size "190" as for anyone over 180cm up to 190cm. If you have a long torso then you may want the longer version. As to the chest, smocks are cut to be worn over your warm layers (in modern terms a shell) so they are cut for that. So if you are in a BDU and T shirt/or thermal then the chest fitting can be smaller (why despite my chest size the smaller 112 is OK for most Aussie conditions). You guys who deal with much colder climates should use proper sizing. They also generally have waist and hem drawstrings to tighten up a loose fit, much better to go a little larger if you are in doubt.

Platatac use S-M-L-XL-XXL sizing, in theirs XL fits me but I have XXL to get some extra length as I have one of those long torsos (and stumpy little legs :D ).

Looking at my rack here behind me, off hand I see the following....

1960s OD Australian Para Smock
    1970s British DPM Para Smock
    2000s British DPM Para Smock
    Current DPM SAS Smock
    1990s British RM Arctic DPM Smock
    Current British MTP Winproof Smock
    Soldier 95 British DPM Windproof Smock (these are a ripstop material and like much of the S95 ger suck a pole)
    TacGear German Tropentarn Smock (linked above)
    SORD Desert Tan Para Smock (linked above)
    Platatac SAS Winproof Smock in Multicam (my most used one at present, this is the updated version as mine is long discontinued https://www.platatac.com/platatac-badger-windproof-smock.html )
    Three Platatac "Silks" Smocks (they are an ultra lightweight nylon jacket that I use around camp or on spring/early autumn outings), not a true smock in any sense but I got them on sale in Aussie DPDU. DPCU and Multicam patterns )( https://www.platatac.com/platatac-lw-silks-smock.html.
    Arktis "Police" Smock - basically one of their SAS Smocks in Black with a Navy blue lining (my second most used Smock).

I also have several British "Goretex" type shell jackets in DMP and MTP for rain, they are cut like a smock but without pockets.

This the Platatac Windproof on one of it's first outing...

[​IMG]

And in New Zealand last year....

[​IMG]

I had all the velcro removed from the sleeves and such as it is just a PITA unless you have need of it for patches etc.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  13. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Andy the Aussie SO for those of use that cannot drop a few hundred on one of those... Which of that list would you recommend to buy surplus? Using your calculations it looks like I need a 190/120 size..

In Multicam the one I was thinking.. can you tell if this is one of the better ones?

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/...-coat-genuine-issue-new-and-used-1405054.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Not Sure likes this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

The first one in MTP (Brit take on Multicam) is good buying, I have one and it is a well made piece of gear, remember they are issue so are well made but perhaps not as "neat" as a completely commercial maker). It is 50/50 Cotton/Poly. I am a fan of 100% cotton but am also a sentimentalist at heart ;) so if you like cotton and desert pattern DPM then this one you linked https://www.militaryclothing.com/british-sas-smock-jacket-desert-camo.aspx would be my choice (though not a fan of Brit desert out here).

15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I emailed the company that has the Multicam one to get a shipping quote so we will see. I’ll let everyone know what I find out. If it’s like some of the other UK websites I think it should be in the $15-20 range. So may be about $75 USD shipped. Which the same one from a Vancouver surplus store looks like it would be about $125 USD shipped.. I’m thinking Christmas present :)

The best part about it is that wearing a British Multicam around the local area will make people loose there dang mind :) Some of you know what I’m talking about :)

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

which Vancouver shop did you look at ? Gorilla?

17. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

This is all I found, hope it helps................

[​IMG]

RocketmanDane likes this.
  18. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Bushman5 Vancouver. Tactical Supplies

The UK store got back to me and it’s about $17.00 euros to ship to the US. Which I believe is about $23 USD shipping...

Bushman5 likes this.
  19. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I still use the m-65 w/o liner in woodland I got in the early 90's. It's pretty threadbare now, lots of hours in that one. The button in liner is about all that is ever needed for insulation this far south but I have used performance fleece as a layering up-down idea, it's faster than the actual button in liner.
    I have considered a new one in multicam but my firstborn is on base overseas (and armed ;) ) and I don't have a line on any unicorn horn or virgin blood to trade for one. :D

Oh btw, I'm 5'11"-190 lbs and an XL is a nice loose fit. I could go to XXL but the sleeves would run a few inches long....would fit over a puffy type insulating layer nicely tho, for you far north types where it gets downright frigid, Minnesota, Michigan, Nome. :D

JohnGer and RocketmanDane like this.
  20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Andy the Aussie
    I took your advice and I managed to work out a trade deal and having one of the Multicam ones I listed ordered and sent to me as payment :) They even had it in the size I wanted.

I’ll def have to report back on this!

Stock photos from their website.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]