Sleeping pad

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Spikebot587, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I've decided it's about time to get a new sleeping g pad. I've a used a z lite pad the last couple years, and why it's great for backpacking it leaves alot to be desired the rest of the time. I've decided that I want some sort of air mattress/self inflating pad. Recently I've been looking at the REI camp bed 2.5 but was wondering what you guys have used. Price preferably at or under $100. Also weight is not an issue

2. Benson X

Benson X Member

I have the Thermarest Trail Scout (Reg.) and have found it work great in any environment. Self-inflating, very compact/packable and comfortable. I also got their little inflatable pillow that easily fits in the same stuffsack.
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/trail-scout/product

For non backpacking trips, or truck camping trips, I have an Alps Mountaineering XL pad that is more than sufficient, but it's also HUGE (takes up as much room as an 8-man tent). It is damn comfy though - dual self-inflating brass valves, very large footprint, micro-suede top and PVC anti-slip bottom.
    http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/pads/self-inflating-air-pads/comfort-air-pad

3. esee6&3

esee6&3 Member

ive tried a number of sleeping pads and I love the Nemo tensor line of air mattresses, its not self inflating but man is it comfy and offers good insulation and is also crazy light and packs small. but this may not fit your needs and wants.

4. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

The camp bed 2.5 is nice. That's what I use for car camping.

5. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

6. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

Exped UL 7 is great. If weight is no issue, I'd look at the REI house brand and KLymit. Both have some reasonably priced offerings, but just not the lightest

Spikebot587 likes this.
  7. Ferrulewax

Ferrulewax Member

Exped synmat or big agnes aircore gets my vote- I prefer a verticle baffle configuration, seems to lend itself less to rolling off the mat.

8. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I've been looking at the klymit insulated pad. I'm thinking that may be the answer, now to decide if it's worth the extra 20 bucks for the recon version

9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Has anyone changed their mind or had any new experiences? Im a hammock fella but there are places i want to go that make me go to ground. Looking for a sleeping system that i can actually get good rest on.

Knifehunt likes this.
  10. Knifehunt

Knifehunt Member

I have the L.L. Bean Pathfinder pad, and love it. I'm a big guy, and I get a good night's sleep on it. It's 72" x 20"...

Strigidae likes this.
  11. Black5

Black5 Member

Well. Since I'm not the hardcore guy y'all are, Academy has an inflatable pad that I use a lot on floors that is 2+ thick, self inflating, and costs less than $45.

For various reasons I wind up sleeping on concrete or tile floors more often than you can imagine, and this pad has lots of miles on it. I would imagine it would hold up well in a tent setting, but I'm not sure about straight to ground how long it would last. I cram it inside my oversized sleeping bag and haven't had an issue yet.

ChristopherRC and Strigidae like this.
  12. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thats what im looking for. Something thick so i can sleep well. Lightweight would be a bonus.

ChristopherRC and Knifehunt like this.
  13. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

If bulk and weight are not an issue....I have a bad back and move around a little while I sleep because of it. The only thing I can sleep on besides a real bed is my Alps Mountaineering Comfort Air Series Pad XXL - Its 30"x77"x4" thick and self inflating. It was over 200 when I bought it several years ago but Amazon has them for around 130. I also bought a 2" thick twin sized solid memory foam pad (all memory foam,not the layered ones) from Walmart for around 50 and cut it to fit the pad.(total thickness of sleeping system is 6") If I take my time rolling it up (usually re-rolling a few times to get all air out) I can get both pads in the original stuff sack...but after 7 years the sack is starting to rip... I have used it for not just camping but hotels when there isnt enough beds, at the lake, and just about every trip we have taken. I also used it when I had to sleep in my kids room for a few months because they were sick and when my apnea was so bad (before CPAP) I was keeping my wife awake...I would say I have easily put well over 500 nights on it and it's still going strong. I do store it flat with the valves open and keep it rolled for as short of times as possible on trips. (it's the key to long life with those type of foams)...

Black5 and Strigidae like this.