Show off your vehicle

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Strigidae, Sep 7, 2017.

1. IW17

IW17 Member

Any updates on this? I'm curious how you like the lift and larger tires? What kind of fuel economy are you getting? I'm looking at a crosstrek or similar, and I'm trying to iron out the details. If I can stay at or above 25 mpg combined, I'd be happy with it. I just don't want to get into the low 20's, because at that point I might as well stick to a truck.

Zeek likes this.
  2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Apologies for a late response. I'm still enjoying this car, despite the fuel mileage (mine is the 3.6R, so a Crosstrek will get better mpg's for sure). I can't say for sure what a Crosstrek might get, I would definitely check with some Subaru specific forums to see what mods people have and what gas mileage.

I'm about to drive out of my warranty, almost to 36k. I'm still enjoying the car. Recently made some updates to the roof rack (likely getting rid of the basket and awning setup), as I've purchased a fishing kayak (Bonafide SS107) for some new adventures, so I've got a basic Yakima system up top now...so that helps a touch with mpg's around town. For the lifetime of the car, I'm at 18.5mpg. Reality is probably a touch better, as this is being calculated using the stock tire size and all, so I'm probably just shy of 20mpg maybe. On highway trips, without a ton of stuff on the roof, I'm around 22-23 (even with the basket/awning).[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    BigJake, shaneadams90 and IW17 like this.
  3. IW17

IW17 Member

No problem on the late response! I appreciate your insight. I've been on a few subaru forums. I like getting outside opinions as to not have to sort through the bs fanboy types. I know the crosstrek gets a few mpg better than the outback. However I think I'm goona stick with a truck. I don't have to haul the family around in it so space isn't an issue. I was hoping to put a small lift on with a durable set of tires, to accommodate driving on job sites. But it seems like the loss in mpg's puts them not too far off a full size truck. My 2011 Sierra half ton gets 17.5 combined and 20-21 highway, which is 90% of my driving.

martin_j001 and Zeek like this.
  4. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I average around 23-24 combined on the Forester.

The newer ones are even better.

5. dunefoo

dunefoo Member

Tacoma gets me places.
    trk_low.jpg Sedona_5-11-18.jpg

6. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Can't blame you for that. If I'd have known ahead of time I'd be looking at truck mpg's, I might have just gone that way myself...not that I'm unhappy with what I've got, that is. :)

7. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

8. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

Looks like Prinsu maybe. If I'm not mistaken, their products are mostly hard mount using existing mounting points on the vehicle.

R Stowe likes this.
  9. dunefoo

dunefoo Member

Yes Prinsu and it mounts to existing threaded holes under rubber strips.

R Stowe and martin_j001 like this.
  10. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

They make nice stuff for sure. They didn't have one for mine when I first started the "project", but I've since seen them installed on some Outbacks and they look quite good. Really like just how cleanly they install and look.

11. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

It's a GREAT LOOKING rack I will have to look into them and see if they make one for my truck.
    Thanx guys

12. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Not sure what year they started installing it by default, but anyone with a newer F150 I’m sure has a large hatred for the auto stop engine feature.

So, I just installed a module to turn the button off permanently.

C99c, R Stowe and IW17 like this.
  13. TerryD

TerryD Member

I'm an off-roader turned overlander. I came from a 1984 K5 on 35s, double locked with a flat belly to my current 2007 Nissan Xterra S.

The Xterra is more family friendly with AC, cruise and seat belts that work.

It's currently on stands getting a pair of diffs from a 2011 Pro4X with 3.69 gears and the e-locker.

Pretty standard bolt on mods so far.
    Shrockworks Bumper
    Warn Zeon 10S winch
    White Knuckle Offroad sliders
    Mix-n-match lift including Radflo shocks and Alcan rear leaf packs
    Pro4X skid plates
    285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires

20200322_150018.jpg

Datilite, Frigin, R Stowe and 10 others like this.
  14. C99c

C99c Member

The Xterras and earlier gens of the Pathfinder seem to be a sweet spot for performance vs price right now. They're capable and don't have the following that Jeep and Toyota do so you don't have the popularity tax to deal with.

I had an '84 Blazer with 35"s that was boatsided and locked F/R. It didn't have a straight body panel on it. And an '87 with a spool that I DD'd for a while. Then several XJs, S trucks, and miscellaneous other 4WDs.

They were fun but I no longer have the time or enthusiasm to constantly work on things daily, especially given where I live and the lack of hard trails in the region.

I've come to appreciate a small lift, sub 33" tires and good traction control (ATRAC, etc). I still prefer a real locker if possible, as sometimes the electronic stuff fails you spectacularly. I was recently a passenger in a 2019 4runner with less than 15K on the odometer and no hard use that had half of its systems crash several miles in to a remote FS road late in the evening. No functional traction control, a confused CPU cutting power everytime a wheel started spinning and lots of rain left us stuck at the bottom of a very muddy hill.

The long walk out in the dark to reach a point with cell service, while a thunderstorm came through the area, was a nice reminder of the consequences of newer tech failing.

TerryD likes this.
  15. TerryD

TerryD Member

My interest wained after clocking the t-case flat but boat siding had been the next thing on the list as well as a family cage.

The dependence on electronic baubles is not something I'm fond of. My dream is to build a CJ6 with the 4.0L/AW4/NP231 from a 90s XJ and a D44/9in combo from an Early Bronco. Double locked, 35s, radius arms up front, leaves in the rear. Simple, fairly easy to work on, good parts availability.

Datilite likes this.
  16. Frigin

Frigin Member

[QUOTE="C99c, post: They're capable and don't have the following that Jeep and Toyota do so you don't have the popularity tax to deal with.
    .[/QUOTE]
    @C99c @TerryD
    well I screwed that up I guess I don’t know how to quote specific sentences in someone’s post lol

popularity tax.....is that a thing?
    Well guess what don’t try waving to us because we won’t wave back:p
    Can’t wait to see how the build comes out.
    My rents had a xterra back in the day when they first came out it was used to take me to hockey they put 200k on that thing and only did oil changes. Dam good vehicle.

C99c and TerryD like this.
  17. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

Any pics of those K5s? I always loved the looks of those.

18. TerryD

TerryD Member

I'll have to get on my computer later. I took all the K5 pictures off my phone.

19. C99c

C99c Member

All of my Jeep owning friends wave at me. Normally it's to flag me down so I'll pick them up off the side of the road or as thanks for dropping them off somewhere when it's broken or for bringing them parts. ;) :p

I have some photos of my '84 somewhere. As in individual, physical photos because it was before anyone I knew had phones or computers. There are/were at least two good shots of it online as I was caught in the background of pics on Peterson's 4 Wheel and Offroad magazine's early website.

It still shows up for sale on Craigslist every few years, usually as a parts vehicle to go with one in better shape. It's was yellow and purple the last time I saw it listed and somewhere in Mississippi.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    TerryD and Frigin like this.
  20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Some of my 76 Series on the trip I took earlier in the month...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some of a 1973 FJ47 that a mate's son arrived in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JV3, McKROB, Strigidae and 4 others like this.