RUGGED CLOTHING: POINTER BRAND / LC KING MANUFACTURING AND DESIGN

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by GaryMc, Sep 23, 2016.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Wanted to talk today about something not often discussed on the ESEE forum, a clothing brand I just love and wear often Fall, Winter, and Spring. That brand is:

POINTER BRAND / LC KING MANUFACTURING AND DESIGN

[​IMG]

I've lived both in and just outside the metropolitan city of Atlanta, GA, USA now for 30 years but before that I was a rural born & bred Georgia country boy. That country boy is still a big part of who I am today. Several years back I started researching buying Made in USA products, particularly clothing and found very little left made in the USA, pretty sad as I grew up near many cotton and clothing mills and much of my family had actually spent their lives working in a cotton mill. I was looking for fairly rugged items so looked at the Carhartt brand and was amazed to see most of it is now made in other countries. Now I own and use many Carhartt products and find them well made but I really wanted some items made here in the USA. A thought popped in my head that hadn't in years going back to my days sitting around very rural general stores out in the country listening and learning from all the old men, mostly farmers and mill workers. That thing that popped in my head was probably well over half of them wore overalls with the Pointer Brand label, so started looking and found them. Ended up buying numerous items from them and find their quality is still really exceptional today. They are simple and straightforward designs that go back to the days of farmers and hunters who hunted to put food on the table. Fell in love with this brand and will continue to buy from them as long as I'm alive as my wardrobe will definitely move back toward comfort and rugged in retirement very soon. So check out Pointer Brand and LC King Manufacturing and Design. I think many of you will like, maybe even love them. They also have an email newsletter and have sales quite often advertised through those emails. You can sign up for the newsletter on their website. By the way, the "hipsters" wear this brand now which I find completely humorous. Pointer Brand / LC King clothing continues to be made today as it always has been in their downtown Bristol, Tennessee, USA factory.

From LC King:

At the dawn of the 20th century, Landon Clayton King was raising champion bird dogs in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Seeing a need for tough, durable workwear clothes that could withstand the rigors of tracking quail or a long day on the farm, he founded The L. C. King Manufacturing Company in January 1913.

Landon approached producing garments with the same exacting standards he held for training his dogs. Inspired by their ruggedness, character, and style, he named the first line of clothing “Pointer Brand.”

For a hundred years and four generations, the storied factory in downtown Bristol, Tennessee has been in the capable hands of the King family. Today, Jack King strives to uphold his great-grandfather’s commitment to excellence by continuing to make iconic workwear—whether it’s our classic triple-stitched overalls or a global fashion collaboration.

Like those before him, Jack believes in the dream of making clothing of exceptional quality right here in the United States of America. It’s as much our Company’s heritage as it is our Country’s.

http://lcking.com

Here are pics of some of the products I've purchased over the years:

Barn Coat (Blanket Lined) on the left and Chore Coat (unlined) Standard Collar on the right; These are my favorite coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Indigo Denim Jeans (washed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Navy Duck Raw Jeans (Cone Mills selvedge denim which is produced in the Cone Mills Greensboro NC White Oak facility)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brown Duck Wallet With Leather (Back in stock as of today, these sell out fast usually & I love this wallet, made by Dark's Designs in Leather for Pointer Brand in Jonesborough, TN, USA)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Told you I was still a rural country boy at heart

[​IMG]

And I'm equal opportunity

[​IMG]

As always, thanks for taking the time to read another of my reviews. Sincerely. Gary

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I actually researched this brand the other day based on your edc photo that had the wallet in it.

The label reminded me of a coat my grandfather used to wear. Im almost certain it was this brand as i recognized the label.

He was from rural SC and worked in the mill (Springs) for decades.

Thanks @GaryMc !

GaryMc likes this.
  3. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Received in email this morning: Pointer Brand / LC King (@Expat )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

My Great Grandfather, Grandmother, Great Uncle & Great Aunt all worked a lifetime in Jackson Mills cotton mill in Iva, SC turning cotton into cloth. These were four of my closest relatives. My Great Uncle "Rig" who was more like a Grandfather to me often wore Pointer Brand overalls. My Father worked there as well but wanted better in life so moved to Atlanta, GA to take a pay cut working for Southern Bell, he retired at 52, the rest worked well into their 60's at tough jobs as their salaries never grew much.