Reptiles and Venomous Creatures: Encounters and Identification

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Makes dying from a nurotoxic bite out here in a matter of hours sound almost pleasant... ;)

Strigidae, Slade and JMJ like this.
  2. JAD

JAD Member

@Joelski -- I like words and sequelae has previously escaped me. You sent me to my dictionary and that is always a good thing.

3. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

A couple of things specific to the original question regarding Timbers since management has been covered. It is very difficult to be bitten by one unless you step on it (usually over a log since it is a sit and wait predator) or stick your hand in the wrong place (what happened to me).

The bad part...Timbers have a very complex venom that is fairly unique. It was often thought to be primarily cytotoxic/hemotoxic but new data also show PLA2 enzyme along with a host of other neurotoxic effects.

There have been 2 fairly recent deaths via Timbers in my region at religious services. Death from a Timber is not a pleasant experience.

Strigidae and Slade like this.
  4. JAD

JAD Member

@Delkancott -- I specifically chose that snake as the most common venomous snake in Missouri along with copperhead and water moccasin.:eek:

Slade likes this.
  5. DYSPHORIC JOY

6. Andy the Aussie

Heading bush next weekend.... far west of the state, been a PERFECT snake season out there so far, lots of winter rains for the frogs to breed up...especially around the house...last year they got four IN the house in three days... last one was in the middle of the kitchen floor... sooooo now it is nice and warm as well.... yay...

Oh when I say snake...out there I am referring to...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6022/5957207888_9385dae189_b.jpg

....Mulga/King Brown Snakes.... :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudechis_australis

Strigidae, Slade and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  7. DYSPHORIC JOY

Wow. Looked at some really nice Taipans this week and a huge King Cobra. The fellow we visited actually sends venom to Australia for research. He also had a Golden Lancehead...the only one I have ever seen up close.

Stay safe and watch your step.

Strigidae, Slade and GaryMc like this.
  8. Andy the Aussie

No such thing as a nice Taipan mate... Taipans lay in wait for unsuspecting humans to stumble along before darting out and striking then moving back to what said human curl into a ball and die... ;) ;)

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I'm never travelling.

In fact I think I'll move to Greenland and live on seal meat.

10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Where the heck do you find theses snakes?????

JMJ and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  11. DYSPHORIC JOY

It is really just watching where you are in the woods. They are there if you pay close attention to typical habitat. I consider myself decent at locating animals except for the "black painters" that everyone encounters all around me but I have never seen. I guess I need to get off the couch and in the woods more.

This week was easy, about 100 meters from my house-
    Well, out of the kindness of my heart, I moved one 5ft Black Rat Snake out of the area where I was working...was sawing some wood when I kept encountering the same snake. I kept moving him over a course of about an hour and he kept getting in the way. I put him in a bag and hung it on the kitchen door while I was clearing brush. I was then going to put him back where he obviously was having a grand 'ol time. Finished in the woods and sure enough, the bag was empty. Try to do something nice and he wants to move into the house! Still have not found him.

Strigidae, Slade and JMJ like this.
  12. JMJ

JMJ Member

Those guys and the Texas Rats we get here have been some of the more stubborn snakes I've kept for a bit.

I found a 5.5-6' grey ratsnake skin this weekend on a rafter in the camp carport. My wife couldn't believe how long it was and was all freaked out it was above where she walks a lot. I told her that's obviously why we quit having mice and pack rats around the camp anymore. I'm just grateful to see sign of some healthy snakes since the hog scourge hit us there.

Slade likes this.
  13. DYSPHORIC JOY

14. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Spotted a fence lizard at the cabin. When I walked towards it, it started down a fence post hole. I guess the guy that had the place before me set the poles in plastic, before placing in concrete:

[​IMG]

Dark down the hole, but I snapped a pic anyways, and this is what I saw:

[​IMG]

He came back out later, and let me get a few shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slade, JMJ and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  15. DYSPHORIC JOY

16. DYSPHORIC JOY

17. Andy the Aussie

I have a few pics of some non-venomous reptiles I snapped this past week out bush. The one nasty I saw had me grabbing for the shovel not the camera but was too quick and still resides under the house we were staying in (my guess would be about 5 feet long - but I could only see the front foot or so).

18. Andy the Aussie

What I believe is a Burton's Legless Lizard..

[​IMG]

And two laid back Dragons..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strigidae, Slade, JMJ and 1 other person like this.
  19. JAD

JAD Member

@Andy the Aussie -- man you need to move to another country. You have too many "nasties" down there.

20. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

So we have never discussed this but I actually have been bitten two different times by a snake. The first time was when my wife and I lived in Raleigh. I was mowing the grass and ran out of gas. I walked back to the storage building to get more gas and stepped right on the tail end of a black snake. Before I could blink, I was bitten right at the calf muscle. Honestly did not even hurt. I jumped back, he slithered off and I ran inside to treat my wound. I poured peroxide all over it and went back to yard work. I honestly don't remember feeling any real pain or having any problems.

The second time I got bit I never saw it. This was just 4 years ago. I was at my parents lake house clearing out some woods. I reached down through some brush toward some old leaves and felt something bite my hand. I saw a brown/blackish looking snake slither away but could not make out what it was. I freaked a little because I was by myself and 20 miles from the hospital. I calmed myself down quickly, hopped in the car, and drove to the hospital while keeping my hand above my heart. I had no real pain but wanted to get checked out since I could not tell what bit me. At the hospital the Doctor looked at the bite mark and agreed it was 99% likely to be a snake bite. Based on the time frame and my lack of pain he assumed it was a non venomous snake or if venomous it released no venom. At the same time he put me on a 7 day run of antibiotics and I took them as directed.

I tell you all of that to ask this question: Were the antibiotics necessary?