Renaissance Wax

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I get questions from time to time about how to protect a knife or gun. Basically, they are asking how to protect the metal and/or wood. There's a simple answer to that question: Renaissance Wax.

If you're not familiar with this product, it's pretty much the gold standard for protecting things that your life may rely on. The Smithsonian uses it for their old swords, armor and the like.

Y'all can read all about it, but it's the best thing I've found for pretty much any surface.

My suggestion is get the small can (65ml) unless you are going to protect large items like furniture. Then get the large (200ml).

https://www.shellac.net/RenWax.html

Plenty of reviews on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-...491345&sr=8-1&keywords=renaissance+wax+polish

Also, lots of videos on the tube:

Zeek, mil spec and C99c like this.
  2. Expat

Wow, I didn't know this.

C99c likes this.
  3. Mudman

Mudman Member

I've got some of this stuff, works great. But I use Obenaufs HD more. Being in CA though I don't have to worry as much about rust, usually cutting food is good enough.

Although I do like the smell of Renaissance wax for some reason.

Nestea, mil spec and C99c like this.
  4. Expat

Never heard of that, Mud. I'll check it out.

I pretty much only use RenWax on something that is extremely valuable (like a family heirloom) or something put away for long-term storage--like guns I don't ever use.

I agree with you, knife edges don't get any treatment from me other than cutting things with them.

5. Mudman

Mudman Member

I 100% agree with you. Long term storage of anything, or things of really high value I would recommend Renaissance wax.

The obenaufs is more for general use on daily things for me. While they don't advertise it, from what I have gathered it's also food safe. It was originally made for leather. Wasn't intended for metal or metal either, but works good for it as well. It's a little tacky due to the beeswax in it, but I haven't had an issue. If you get it and don't like it on wood or metal, it's excellent stuff for leather. So you can't lose really.

From their site:

"
    Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP (Leather Preservative) is the most durable protection available. Originally developed for the severe conditions endured by wild-land firefighters. Heavy Duty protects, preserves, and restores boots, saddles, motorcycle leathers, tool pouches, baseball gloves, and more. It provides industrial strength protection for leather that gets exposed to harsh environments.

Three natural oils are suspended in Beeswax and Propolis. In the leather these oils gradually seep out of the Beeswax/Propolis*Suspension Formula. If exposed to heat or flexing the oils are released faster so leather gets oiled when and where it needs it most instead of parched and cracked. This Beeswax/Propolis* Suspension Formula provides a time release lubrication to inner fibers, reinforces the surface against scuffing and abrasions, while still allowing the leather to breathe.

*Propolis is an antibacterial resin from trees that resists bacteria and mold. It is a barrier against body acids, salt, and caustic chemicals. Combined with beeswax it will repel water better and longer."

• Repels water better and longer.
    • Repels acids, petroleum, salt, and chemicals.
    • Restores dried leather.
    • Prevents dry rot.
    • Resists mold, mildew, and bacteria.
    • Resists premature cracking in flex areas.
    • Odorless after applied (will not spook game).
    • Restores sun-faded leather.
    • Resists scuffing, abrasion, and stitch tear.
    • Penetrates deeply into leather.
    • Contains no harmful silicones, petroleum, solvents, or paraffin.
    http://www.obenaufs.com/Heavy-Duty-LP-8-oz-p/heavy-duty-lp-8.htm

Bushman5 and C99c like this.
  6. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

@Expat ever tried ballistol ? It's supposed to be good on leather, wood and metal. A lot of blackpowder shooters used it when I shot single action (cowboy stuff)

Zeek likes this.
  7. JAD

JAD Member

@ozbushy -- I am a big fan and user of Ballistol. It is basically mineral oil based. I began using it after watching Hickok45 videos. He uses it to clean and lubricate his guns. I prefer a stronger solvent for cleaning (Hoppe #9) but I always finish the inside and out of my barrels with it. Additionally I started trying it on sheaths and holsters with good results. Now I will even use it on wood stocks.

The smell of it is definitely an acquired taste.

Zeek and ozbushy like this.
  8. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

@JAD if I remember correctly it use to make the timber stocks quiet slick, not a good idea on the 44 mag revolvers :D

9. Expat

Never tried ballistol. I really don't have a ton of stuff that needs protecting as I'm not a collector. But, what I like about the wax is that it dries...er....dry. Even the slightest bit of oil can stain a case, my pants, etc.

10. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

If you are going to drink lots of oil stay near a toilet and you won't get stains in your pants:p:D

Zeek likes this.
  11. JAD

JAD Member

That was always my fear. But I continued to read accounts of using it on wood. So I tentatively waded in and tried it on a few smaller things. My experience has been that the initial application and for a brief period after leaves a somewhat slick surface. But it cures up nicely (usually overnight) with excellent results and takes on a nice feel no different than the untreated wood might feel in hand. My experimenting was done on my axe handles. Don't want slipping there.

12. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

That's good too know I may have too try some myself, thanks @JAD

13. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Did that Sterlinworth seem to have a lot of drop in the stock?

I have never had much problems with rust, but the wax seems like a good idea for guns not being used regularly.

14. Zeek

Zeek Member

Bump... this came up again in my search for something to clean / protect old firearms without taking away from their original finish. Renaissance wax seems to be the sheeit. :cool:

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  15. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

It's fantastic, and a tiny amount goes a stupid-long way. I've had a 200ml jar since frickin' high school and it's only a third empty.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  16. Expat

I just put some on a randall knife and sheath last night.

I have a jar that will last my entire life, for sure.

17. Zeek

Zeek Member

What are you guys using to apply it??? Recommends a lint free cloth right?

18. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I just use a paper towel. :p

19. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I use Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP on my boots. It’s the best I’ve used so far.

20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

DITTO! great stuff. Although i also used Huberbs because its traditional around here in the old logging community. (and the tins are reusable)